BOX1

So what's the deal with the Rotella shortage?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just about time to change the oil and my preferred Rotella T6 5-40 is MIA, with no known date for it to get back in stock. I'd heard grumblings about this, but didn't really pay much attention untill it affected me (of course).

When I think of Rotella, I can't say I think of slow boats from China, but maybe I'm ignorant. Saw someone claim it's actually the plastic for the jugs that's in short supply...but anyway, what's the deal with Rotella?

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just about time to change the oil and my preferred Rotella T6 5-40 is MIA, with no known date for it to get back in stock. I'd heard grumblings about this, but didn't really pay much attention untill it affected me (of course).

When I think of Rotella, I can't say I think of slow boats from China, but maybe I'm ignorant. Saw someone claim it's actually the plastic for the jugs that's in short supply...but anyway, what's the deal with Rotella?
I bought (8) gallons of 15w-40 a few months back in the Great Wall of China mart. The clerk there said it was in short supply then. I haven’t looked since.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
According to many on here, you can blame Just in Time supply chain management.

That is to say - blame capitalism, not the all-powerful State distorting and interfering with markets.

Last edited:
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah, I couldn't get any a month ago for my tractors. I really hope corporate America learns from all of this. What's worse than a boycott???? Not being able to get your s*** on the shelves for people to buy.

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335
Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just saw a bunch of full synthetic T6 15W 40 at North 40 for close to $30 per gallon
I don't use the stuff but you said it's a one gallon jug and not a five quart jug? The Honda oil sells locally at the nearby Honda dealer (21 miles away) for $30.xx a gallon. I'm just trying to get a comparison of the cost per quart. If the T6 is a gallon jug, then both are going for about $7.50+ a quart.

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got T6 5w-40 at, of all places, Home Depot. Gallon jugs for $23. They don’t stay in stock very long. I found them online at a nearby store, put then in my cart and paid. Picked them up a few days later when I had other business in that town.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was able to find Rotella at menards. Otherwise no one else local to me or Amazon had it. The last oil change I did for my cummins I was able to find it but the two before that I was stuck with valvoline.

Reactions: Smitty335
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I don't use the stuff but you said it's a one gallon jug and not a five quart jug? The Honda oil sells locally at the nearby Honda dealer (21 miles away) for $30.xx a gallon. I'm just trying to get a comparison of the cost per quart. If the T6 is a gallon jug, then both are going for about $7.50+ a quart.
The difference is T6 is a full synthetic, the HP4 at Extreme (Honda store) for $30/gallon is dino oil. If you want a true comparison compare the T6 to the Honda HP4S which is typically North of $10/quart.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!