P700 Soft Top Windshield Fix

No1hedberg

No1hedberg

Nov 8, 2015
So I just bought my P700-4, and got them to throw in the two piece windshield. They didn't have any tops in stock, so I ordered a Bimini top. The top doesn't come with instructions. It actually comes with a piece of paper that says you need to download the installation instructions online. Dumb...Why they didn't just print the instructions on the already included paper???? Anyway, the instructions say to cut the top off the windshield. There was no way I was going to cut a brand new windshield. It has a large rubber weatherstripping across the top that allows it to seal somewhat against a hard top.
Thumb IMG 2171 1024
I removed the factory weatherstripping.
Thumb IMG 2172 1024
I bought this at Lowes for $3.12.
Thumb IMG 2173 1024
Then I split one side of the tubing open, and cut notches at the two outer corners so it would go over the sharp edge of the windshield, and bend around the two upper corners like this.
Thumb IMG 2174 1024Thumb IMG 0012 1024
This is what it looked like when done.
Thumb IMG 0013 1024
It's hidden under the soft top, so It can't really be seen from the outside, but it will keep the sharp edges of the windshield from cutting or poking holes in the top. This way, if I ever decide to get a hard top, I can just break out the old seal and put it back on. I have a couple upholstery snaps ordered, to put on the top in place of the bolts so I can just pull the snaps, and unhook the front straps, and fold the top back on nice days.
Thumb IMG 0004 1024
I'm sure this is probably obvious to most of you, but maybe it'll help someone.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
What if you also glued some small squares of leather to the top where it meets those corners? Just to really over do it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!