BOX1

P500 Soften stock shocks?

D

Dynamicfigure

Jan 12, 2021
WA
I know the answer to a better ride is aftermarket shock$ but... the 520 comes with adjustable shocks, by theory...

Has anyone bought the spanner wrench (if so where'd you get it, and which one) and then jacked it up and softened the stock setting to the softest ride? Was there any/much of a difference??

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
You can get a spanner wrench from about any power sports dealer or online. You can also use channel locks, just be careful not to booger everything up. Even then you're not exactly adjusting the shocks, you're setting the preload on the springs. It'll ride a little softer but you'll run the risk of bottoming out on whoops and such. Aftermarket shocks make a world of difference.

D

Dynamicfigure

Jan 12, 2021
WA
Yea, I am certain the aftermarket shocks will help but the admission fee to that amusement park is a bit high for me at the moment. I was curious if anyone here had taken the stock one's down that one notch yet & if so, what, if any, differences they noticed?

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
I don’t know about taking it down one. Going to the max is a big difference in a rough ride, did it for snow plowing. The easiest way to a just the shocks is to jack up the P520. The shock wrench works, but not great.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
87F4FD26 0E07 461A AD11 4C1C1D229743 FAFEC1C0 65D9 4AF6 AA70 76785A60ADAE

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
If you place a jack under the unit and get the tension off the shocks, switching the setting is reasonably easy with a good set of channel locks. Personally, I found the lowest setting to be more comfortable and if you adjust the tire pressure downward some it helps as well vs. running them at max pressure.

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Ok so the metal adjuster does nothing to the shock or the way the shock works or acts. It does not change the valve inside the shock. All the adjuster does is change the preload on the spring. For light smooth gravel road farm driving set the shock up for the softest ride. For tight trails and moderate stuff go to the middle. And for hard driving over ruff stuff and the times it's off the ground go to the tightest spring setting. But spring rate and pre load will not change how a shock acts.

Reactions: Dave75
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Ok so the metal adjuster does nothing to the shock or the way the shock works or acts. It does not change the valve inside the shock. All the adjuster does is change the preload on the spring. For light smooth gravel road farm driving set the shock up for the softest ride. For tight trails and moderate stuff go to the middle. And for hard driving over ruff stuff and the times it's off the ground go to the tightest spring setting. But spring rate and pre load will not change how a shock acts.

Careful with that stiffest setting. If you get it bouncing it's an absolute pogo stick and hard to control. Been there and it's not worth it. (No HOMO)

Last edited:
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I'm away from my machine. What's the stock setting?

Reactions: Backwoods
S

skinnyman

May 22, 2020
ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I believe this would be a discussion to have with someone in the shock industry, preferable an engineer vs. a salesman, as you covered many aspects of a shock and its operation.

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I believe this would be a discussion to have with someone in the shock industry, preferable an engineer vs. a salesman, as you covered many aspects of a shock and its operation.
Oh no I'm no sales guy. But I used to own and drive a dirt late model and I have general understanding of shocks and springs. I haven't done the research on shock sizes but I think with some doing a guy could find the right shocks for about 100 each and use the factory springs. But is it really worth it. We don't ride our machine hard and my wife made some nice red seat covers and glued in 1/2 inch memory foam. And that made the ride much better.

Reactions: Splorin and Dave75
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I think there are 4 settings and mine were set on the second softest setting when I got mine.
Took a look at mine. Seems same. Is there any point to change 1 click softer? I ride slow...but sometimes slow over rocks where I'd hate to give up clearance.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Took a look at mine. Seems same. Is there any point to change 1 click softer? I ride slow...but sometimes slow over rocks where I'd hate to give up clearance.

It makes it slightly softer but then you run the risk of bottoming out the shock. I kept adjusting mine up in the back as I was adding more weight until it was maxed out. Hit a tree root at speed and the rodeo began. It was so rigid that it just wouldn't stop bouncing and for a moment I was out of control. Immediately dropped them back down and eventually changed them out with WE's. The stockers are functional but that's about the only praise I'd give them.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Is there any point to change 1 click softer?
Honestly, were talking stokers here!
the difference is so Little with that adjustment. Its like trying to ware all black to make you look thinner when underneath your still fat! Harsh way to put it but true statement. Listen to @trigger. he knows what hes talking about with those stockers, Hes lived through the good and bad. Theres bot much good with stockers tho lol. I had them on my P5 and my dentist liked me alot Lol. save your pennies and the heartache and get u a set of aftermarkets when you can. weather it be standard Elka’s ( your cheapest rout) or the plush WE And do it once!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!