jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thank you guys and gals for being patient with me on the testing. I wanted to make sure to get some good seat time with the softer springs before I gave my thoughts.
Here is my test and review of the softer springs on the Walker Evans shocks. It's pretty long so if you're pressed for time skip to around 10:45 to just here my thoughts on the 175lb front and 200lb rear springs.

Edit: Part 2 is further down the page with a bonus clip in the middle.

Last edited:
Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Great video. Thanks again for all the information you have given us. Very much appreciated.

Reactions: jay_man81
chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Good video!!

Are you going to test them on the
"country whoops, where did that come from... And the jump" ?
Just to keep the comparison consistant with the earlier test?
How do they behave with the compression adjustment turned up doing your regular "fast driving"?

Can you elaborate on the video at all?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

C

Chooglin

I second @chrisC comments. I would like to see a video thru the woops. Seeing the shocks in action on the bike , would help me make a decision to purchase these. It's really hard to see what's going on with the suspension from inside the cab.

Great video and appreciate all the work while testing these!

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Good video!!

Are you going to test them on the
"country whoops, where did that come from... And the jump" ?
Just to keep the comparison consistant with the earlier test?
How do they behave with the compression adjustment turned up doing your regular "fast driving"?

Can you elaborate on the video at all?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
If that's what you guys want to see I will be happy to do so. I planed on doing that eventually, I just wanted to get tests done first that best represent the normal "trail riding" aspect that a lot have asked about. Before I do the testing with the 225lb springs I'll throw the 175's back on and hit the same tests I did before.

I'm always up for jumping Mighty Mouse!

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'll do those tests this weekend and upload it for next Thursday's vid.

Edit: I will try my hardest to get it shot and ready for Tuesday's upload if possible for those of you hovering over the "order" button with your mouse cursor...lol.

Last edited:
chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
If that's what you guys want to see I will be happy to do so. I planed on doing that eventually, I just wanted to get tests done first that best represent the normal "trail riding" aspect that a lot have asked about. Before I do the testing with the 225lb springs I'll throw the 175's back on and hit the same tests I did before.

I'm always up for jumping Mighty Mouse!
My concern with the lighter springs is bottoming out.
Would you be able to give even a "verbal report" on the result of adding a 200lb passenger and a 150-200lbs load on the rack ? Maybe as part of your "where did that come from" section ?

The 175lb springs are recommended for "98% of us watching"
It would show the limits on a loaded machine for those looking at those 175lb springs ?
Having a passenger and a bit of weight on the back is "normal trail riding" for a lot of us.

crank up that compression adjustment :)

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
My concern with the lighter springs is bottoming out.
Would you be able to give even a "verbal report" on the result of adding a 200lb passenger and a 150-200lbs load on the rack ? Maybe as part of your "where did that come from" section ?

The 175lb springs are recommended for "98% of us watching"
It would show the limits on a loaded machine for those looking at those 175lb springs ?
Having a passenger and a bit of weight on the back is "normal trail riding" for a lot of us.

crank up that compression adjustment :)
Remember this is just my preliminary test results and that, like you said, I had the compression set full soft. I do plan on doing more to show you guys and have done some quick testing already just nothing in front of the camera yet.There are 13 "clicks" to stiffin the ride and I've played around with some weight on harder compression settings and these still did great.

I'm liking your guys ideas for tests. Keep them coming and I'll tailor tests for what you guys want see!

Reactions: Derail
C

Chooglin

Remember this is just my preliminary test results and that, like you said, I had the compression set full soft. I do plan on doing more to show you guys and have done some quick testing already just nothing in front of the camera yet.There are 13 "clicks" to stiffin the ride and I've played around with some weight on harder compression settings and these still did great.

I'm liking your guys ideas for tests. Keep them coming and I'll tailor tests for what you guys want see!
Thank you @jay_man81 in no way am I criticisizing what your doing and I am glad you are willing to listen and help us all decide if it's worth the $$$ to purchase these. Your doing a great job , we just want a different look how these preform.........keep up the good work!

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thank you @jay_man81 in no way am I criticisizing what your doing and I am glad you are willing to listen and help us all decide if it's worth the $$$ to purchase these. Your doing a great job , we just want a different look how these preform.........keep up the good work!
No worries, I like criticism. It helps me improve my content and make even better videos. Your guys input is always welcome and I appreciate you guys telling me what you would like to see.

chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for listening to and addressing our concerns Jay_man81. Your doing a great job showcasing those Walker Evans shocks! Making a decision on purchasing , and spring choice will be easy with your testing. I really appreciate what your doing!

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
All right everyone! Here is part 2 of my review where I tackle "Country Whoops", "Where Did That Come From", and "I Believe I Can Fly", with the softer springs on the Walker Evans.

If you guys that watch the vid here would do me a favor and go to the vid on YouTube when you have time so you can give it a thumbs up I would appreciate it as well!:)

Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
GREAT VIDEO ! Thanks so much dude. You have been a HUGE help. Working long days this week so I have not had a chance to install my new shocks yet. But I did find the time to switch out to the lighter springs. One last question...after you installed the lighter springs, how many threads showed past the spanner nut ? Hoping you can give me a base line adjustment to start with before I install the shocks.

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
GREAT VIDEO ! Thanks so much dude. You have been a HUGE help. Working long days this week so I have not had a chance to install my new shocks yet. But I did find the time to switch out to the lighter springs. One last question...after you installed the lighter springs, how many threads showed past the spanner nut ? Hoping you can give me a base line adjustment to start with before I install the shocks.
I'll measure them tomorrow for you and let you know.

Reactions: Derail
H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
Excellent review !
Looks like the 175lb springs are the best all round for most all of us .
Looks like for riding around you may be right. However, I plan to install the front cargo rack where I intend to lay that big mule deer buck on this fall, with a little luck. My back rack has been outfitted with a box, gun case and 2 rotomax gas containers. As such, think I'll still with the stock heavier springs and see how they work out.

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Looks like for riding around you may be right. However, I plan to install the front cargo rack where I intend to lay that big mule deer buck on this fall, with a little luck. My back rack has been outfitted with a box, gun case and 2 rotomax gas containers. As such, think I'll still with the stock heavier springs and see how they work out.
I've tested 225 lb springs as well with weight on the front and you might want to check them out. I put about 70lbs on the front to stimulate the weight of a plow and the 225 did great and we're still a bit better riding than the 250's

Reactions: Derail and Chooglin

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!