Something wierd happened on shifting

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
I was driving around the yard just getting a little time on each of the gears and 4wd. I was in low, 2wd, and went to upshift to 2nd. It would not shift out of low. After several tries, starting and stopping, I tried downshifting to neutral and it worked. It would not go back into low. Tried 4wd, nothing. I shifted into reverse and it worked. Now, it wouldn't upshift out of reverse. Tried 4wd, nothing. Not wanting to leave it outside, I made a circle in reverse and backed it into the garage. Tried it again and it still would not upshift out of reverse into neutral. As I was sitting there, planning my call to the dealer, I shut it off. After about a minute, I decided to start it, and try one more time. Since it was turned off in gear, I had to put my foot on the brake to start it. Once started (it was still in reverse), one pull on the right paddle and "bingo" it shifts to neutral. I sat there, in the garage, and shifted through all five gears, up and down and into reverse. I tentatively pulled back out of the garage and drove around a bit in all gears, up and down, reverse and 4wd. The situation did not repeat itself and I've driven it several times since without a reoccurrence.
I saw somewhere, where someone disconnected the battery for as period of time due to some shifting issue, but I don't think it was the same thing.
Has anyone had this happen or can venture a guess?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Had it happen on my buddies rancher. Only happened once as far as I know. Key off and back on cleared the problem.

D

Dyrty

Sep 23, 2014
Yup same thing happen to my P500 last week loading on the trailer. Key off and on and it started working again. Weird.

B

Bcrawford0079

Oct 13, 2014
I just bought one this week and it did the same but I hit the upshift lever a few times and it shifted!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!