P500 Speaking of Trail Maintenance and Development… Battery Powered Chainsaws

F

Funseekers

Apr 9, 2021
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can anyone speak to the question of what brand's batteries transition to other tools in their lineup? For someone without an investment in battery powered tools yet, I'd think that could be a significant branch on the decision tree.
I went with "GreenWorks" equipment. I currently have a chain saw, pole saw, hedge trimmer, and leaf blower all in the 60V line and have no complaints with any of those tools. They have several different voltage line-ups, just have to pick what you think will best fit your needs.

F

flexima

Jan 25, 2022
Florida
Ownership

1. Big Red
I’ve been using Makita cordless tools (chainsaw, polesaw, pole hedge trimmer and string trimmer) for trail clearing and maintenance. Been very impressed with their performance and battery life. Sounds like there’s a lot of good options out there.

Farm5G

Farm5G

Oct 25, 2021
15936 and 17501
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Speaking of Trail Maintenance and Development… Sort of off topic here. However, Anyone using a battery operated chainsaw? Any reviews or recommendations? Looking for something to easily carry on the P5 and also in a Jeep. I have been researching them but would really like some reliable - real world reviews. Thanks in advance.
I’d recommend getting a small gas mix Stihl. The battery operated I’ve used are pointless and limited power.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use an 18v ryobi brushless attached to a kolpin universal mount. I only keep it installed, including mount, if I need it for long term use. During our ride at royal blue the chainsaw came apart, at the bar tensioner. I'm assuming all the bumps jarred it loose. I was able to catch it coming apart before I lost anything. The chainsaw works great. The mount was decent and solid. Overall the setup on the actual pioneer did not work very well for me. I plan on getting a hard case for the saw to carry it around on the trail. Cordless is the way to go for trial saws. No mixing of fuel, no random can't get my saw started issues, or hot engines after use.

IMG 20211109 130321 IMG 20211109 130326 IMG 20211109 130332 IMG 20211113 160811

BigRol

BigRol

Jun 11, 2021
Cape Breton NS
Ownership

1. 500
Speaking of Trail Maintenance and Development… Sort of off topic here. However, Anyone using a battery operated chainsaw? Any reviews or recommendations? Looking for something to easily carry on the P5 and also in a Jeep. I have been researching them but would really like some reliable - real world reviews. Thanks in advance.
I was using an electric with a small inverter generator, I now carry a battery power sawsall and spare battery, it's light, one handed use and good all day for up to 4" cuts, Happy Trails

C

Capervern

Jan 19, 2017
Sydney
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have the Milwaukee 18 volt chainsaw for 3 years now and works great, The batteries will fit any other tool they also make. IE Drill, Jigsaw , Grinder and any other tool long as it's the 18 volt. Mine came with 2 batteries and a soft case.

M

McGregorMan

Jul 13, 2021
NW Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I always carry at least a folding saw, and supplement with DeWalt reciprocating, Still MSA 200, or gas chain saw, depending on where I am going and season, etc. After a wind storm, at least the Stihl.

As for my Stihl electric, it has a 14" bar. I use it more for limbing trees I drop with a gas saw around our property, and love it for its dependability and quiet operation. (My neighbors appreciate the quiet, too.) I'm probably going to buy a blower and get a large backpack battery next. (Forget leaves; it's all about the larch needles here.)

O

OldMan187

Dec 2, 2020
Louisville, KY
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I am using the DeWalt Flexvolt 60v 16in chainsaw as the batteries are interchangeable with other 20v power tools that I bring with me like my impact driver and drill. With Dewalts new powerstack battery I can go for weeks without needing to recharge them. I have cut a tree that was at least 20" in diameter with no problems.

advertisement
Trail_Rider

Trail_Rider

Dec 14, 2020
Powderly, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the same Dewalt as Bigtee. It works well, light weight and yes leaks oil! I like it. I had some other 20V Dewalt tools and batteries before I purchased the chain saw. If you don't already have any brand batteries. I would look around for a good deal. Some of these saws may be built by the same manufacturer and rebranded!

K

Kilroy

Apr 1, 2016
Missouri
I have a brushless 40-volt Kobalt (Lowes) with a 6.0Ah battery (aftermarket on e-bay). It is a real workhorse. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Unbranded-KOBALT-40V-14IN-CHAINSAW-KIT/5002904987

Good to know. I have been very happy with my Kobalt 40V trimmer especially when using the 6Ah battery. The 4Ah batteries aren't bad either but the 6Ah definitely last longer.

For everyone,

No matter what brand you go with, get the highest amp hour battery you can. 4Ah is minimum for moderate to heavy use no matter if it is 12, 18, 24 or 40 volt systems. I run 4Ah and 6Ah batteries in my 18V Rigid tools and 40V Kobalt tools.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
This is what I use when I don’t want to deal with getting the Stihl chainsaw. Works pretty good. But I’m still thinking I will buy the Milwaukee M12 Hatchet and change to a longer bar and chain.

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wonder if Dewalt has a version? I have many of their cordless tools and batteries

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Why haul around a chain saw and oil when you likely already have a sawzall…or the batteries for one?

Seriously a 20v dewalt on with a 2ah battery will easily make 6 cuts on a 4” diameter tree no problem. Blades last forever on soft woods.

lightweight and easy to control. Nearly as fast as a chain saw…heck of a lot lighter.

I trimmed over 100 pine trees on my property 5’ from the ground with a single blade. 2ah battery does 2.5 trees.

for the big stuff, for sure a chainsaw, don’t underestimate the utility of a sawzall.
The dewalt sawzall I have. 4 way chuck and led. Compact light and fast. Only limited by the size and type of the blade.

Blades I use

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Now see I knew this was exactly the right group to ask this question… I now have at least a dozen options to research.

Sawzalls are great.. but they won’t SAWZALL I need it to. ( 🥁🥁) My riding buddy (Futzin) and I regularly run into stuff that well.. would just laugh at us for trying to sawzall it. Here is an example of what we see :

AC9460D7 3A1D 41C6 99F7 198644F6CEA3

Granted they are not all this size but normally half and up to this size is what I am looking to clear. This is why I am looking for a battery powered chainsaw. Not sure what is out there, powerful enough to cut stuff like this.

You guys are giving me great advice here! Thanks so much and keep it coming.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!