P1000 Splain me about the sub-trans fluid change: using two year old oil sitting in my garage?

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So if you're supposed to change this oil every two years whether you've driven much or not...can I use oil that's been sitting in my garage for two years? Or throw it out and buy new? This whole two years no matter how much miles makes no sense to me. I mean, does the oil really have a shelf life? What about bottles that have sat unopened in the store? It all seems fishy, Honda.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So if you're supposed to change this oil every two years whether you've driven much or not...can I use oil that's been sitting in my garage for two years? Or throw it out and buy new? This whole two years no matter how much miles makes no sense to me. I mean, does the oil really have a shelf life? What about bottles that have sat unopened in the store? It all seems fishy, Honda.
Use it and forget about it.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So if my P1000 sits in the garage for 2 years unused, the sub-trans oil is getting contaminated?
I think it's more of a precaution type thing from Honda. Maybe a possibility of building up moisture over such a long period of time??🤷‍♂️.......I personally wouldn't worry too much about it but.......some people worry about all kinds of stuff, small scratch here and there, one tire being 1 psi too low/high, crooked mufflers, etc, etc......run it and enjoy it I say 🙄

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So if my P1000 sits in the garage for 2 years unused, the sub-trans oil is getting contaminated?
It could yes. Moisture would be the biggest concern depending on how it was put away. Any type of machine that sits for 2 years should have the fluids changed, that's just a good idea. That is different than a sealed oil jug sitting around for 2 years because it is sealed.

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Run the oil sitting in your garage and don't sweat the small stuff cause it's all small stuff.
The very same people saying to change it after 2 years no matter have their place for sure just not my way of thinking.
Ask them how often they change the coolant, brake fluid, t-case lubricant and axle gear oil in their trucks and I would wager most are crickets.
Just for the record my t-case and gear oil get changed yearly because of how and what I tow and the amount of time my truck spends off road.
As for your sub trans if you feel the need change it, if not develop a schedule that works for you and your driving style and time.
Ask 3 people or 30 people the best tire and get just as many different answers.
It's your machine do what works for you.

cntryby

cntryby

May 27, 2019
southeast
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oil sitting on the shelf will slowly have additive packs separate from the base stock. For new oil still in containers, look in a brand new one vs a few years old, old one will have sediment in the bottom.

I set the jugs on (not in) my burr bench (vibrating tumbler). I adjust position of the jug every 15 - 20 min. Usually takes a couple hours and I can no longer see any sediment. I keep going for a while after that.

Realistically, if you can get the sediment off the bottom and in the machine it should mix it fine. But not sure how long it would take.

Oil in the machine will get contaminated with condensation, unless kept in a climate controlled environment. Unless it's realllllllyyyyy bad, it should dissipate as soon as the temps come up while in operation and expell the moisture out the vent lines. If you're really concerned, open the fill port on the diffs and inspect with a light. If condensation isn't bad there it shouldn't be anywhere.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!