Split Windshield Optical Grade or Hard Coating

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
I've paid down some of my credit card debt from the Holidays and I'm now planning the next phase of upgrades and accessories for my Pioneer. I'm installing a street legal kit next and also trying to decided on a windshield. Given the very dusty trails out here in the West, I'm leaning toward a split windshield to keep a positive air flow in the interior. What I'm trying to decide is if the hard coated plexiglass windshield is worth the extra money or would the "optical grade" suffice - if really careful when cleaning it? Just wondering what those with the optical grade Plexiglas windshields experiences are and if they would do it again? What split windshield offers the best overall performance and value?

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
I have the hard coat 2 piece. My dealer said they had one of the optical grade screens come out of the box scratched. I had heard other people suggest that they scratch fairly easy, so that was enough for my decision.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
If your in dusty conditions at all get the hard coat. Yes it is well worth the extra money and your well being after cleaning it the first time.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
I also bought the hard coat. A friend of mine said his friend has the hard coat and he runs a windshield wiper and it showed no scratches. That helped me make my decision. I haven't had mine dirty enough yet to see how it will hold up. My dealer also sold me some cleaner called Plexus to use when cleaning it.

TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
I use a product called Novus on my motorcycle windshield. You should never use Windex or a window cleaner as it will soften the hard coat and over time will start showing scratches. You can get Novus at any Harley or most Honda shops.

B

barefootwelder

Dec 18, 2013
I love the split windsheild works really well keeping the dust behind the front passenger area and out of the back if your speed is above first gear. I wish I had spent the extra 100$ for the scratch resistant version as even cleaning the with warm water and microfiber clothes leaves some marking. Plexiglass cleaners help by not allowing the dust to stick as bad.