P1000 Squealing noise at idle? Normal?

N

NorthStar

Jun 12, 2018
North
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi All,

I posted a couple weeks ago about finding water in my P1000-5 (2016) gas tank after washing. The motor has been making a light squealing sound (like a metal-on-metal sound) at idle, I cannot say for sure when it began. When I lightly press the gas and engage the clutch, the noise goes away. It is not extremely loud, but audible inside the cab and is coming from under the bed.

• Does anyone else hear this?
  • Is it normal?

At this point, I'm wondering if I should even drive it. I've put about 100 miles on it since the mechanic changed the bad gas and it appears to be functioning normally. About ~400 miles total on the machine I would guess.

Many thanks!

EDIT: the sound comes while both in Park and in gear (not moving). My father cannot hear it but my wife can (high pitched and not extremely loud). It's kind of like nails on a chalk board.

Reactions: Lady01
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You sure it's not just the clutch squealing a little bit they all do it a little when you rev it up a little in nuteral if you're worried I would change all the oil or better yet let the dealer look at it the pioneer cost a lot of money to be worried about and not be sure if there is a problem

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The gears from the crankshaft to the transmission are straight cut so there is a little backlash/rattle sound and a whine because of it. The backlash sound goes away when reved or loaded. Some whine more than others but is usually noticeable at all times.

Last edited:
N

NorthStar

Jun 12, 2018
North
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The gears from the crankshaft to the transmission are straight cut so there is a little backlash/rattle sound and a whine because of it. The backlash sound goes away when reved or loaded. Some whine more than others but is usually noticeable at all times.
Thanks snuffnwhiskey! I'm curious, what does "straight cut" mean? Why does it cause more noise?

Reactions: Lady01
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
3E0E28C6 4C44 4DC0 A049 60DD18A5B963
Thanks snuffnwhiskey! I'm curious, what does "straight cut" mean? Why does it cause more noise?

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Check out my video on a squealing sound. Thread title squealing clutches. Actually not the clutches but rather my muffler. I have a couple videos posted. See what you think.

21HP1000-5

Apr 19, 2021
Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi All,

I posted a couple weeks ago about finding water in my P1000-5 (2016) gas tank after washing. The motor has been making a light squealing sound (like a metal-on-metal sound) at idle, I cannot say for sure when it began. When I lightly press the gas and engage the clutch, the noise goes away. It is not extremely loud, but audible inside the cab and is coming from under the bed.

• Does anyone else hear this?
  • Is it normal?

At this point, I'm wondering if I should even drive it. I've put about 100 miles on it since the mechanic changed the bad gas and it appears to be functioning normally. About ~400 miles total on the machine I would guess.

Many thanks!

EDIT: the sound comes while both in Park and in gear (not moving). My father cannot hear it but my wife can (high pitched and not extremely loud). It's kind of like nails on a chalk board.
I know this is an older post, but did you find out what was causing the noise? I have a 2021 P1000-5 with 280 miles. The sound you describe, is similar to mine. I thought it was a bad bearing noise at first, It's coming from the engine area ,and only at idle or when in gear and stopped. The sound is not constant, or consistent

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!