P500 Starter Motor

L

louisianapioneer

Oct 11, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 2015 Honda Pioneer 500 which started making odd ( squealing) noises on startup for a day, and now will not start. the battery seems strong, the solenoid clicks, and applying power directly to the starter motor gets no response. I suspect I will have to replace the starter.
I am not much of mechanic, and would appreciate any suggestions on how to do this job.
and are the aftermarket replacements as good as the OEM???
Thanks

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can provide the service manual step by step tomorrow.
OEM vs Aftermarket? I honestly have no idea. I have heard the A/M big red starters were problematic. If OEM is within 25-30% of A/M, I usually pony up for OEM.

Reactions: Chooglin
L

louisianapioneer

Oct 11, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I can provide the service manual step by step tomorrow.
OEM vs Aftermarket? I honestly have no idea. I have heard the A/M big red starters were problematic. If OEM is within 25-30% of A/M, I usually pony up for OEM.
I could really use the step by step instructions. Thanks much.
I can get OEM locally (but not in stock) for $110. I have seen OEM online for $54. Online may be the way to go.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
It's easy, disconnect the battery cable then its 2 bolts. Hardest part may be getting to it, I had mine out when I swapped drive gears, if you pull the rear rack & airbox it will be easily accessible.

L

louisianapioneer

Oct 11, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
It's easy, disconnect the battery cable then its 2 bolts. Hardest part may be getting to it, I had mine out when I swapped drive gears, if you pull the rear rack & airbox it will be easily accessible.
I had to pull the airbox on my Rancher 350 to remove the starter, but i could not easily see how to pull the airbox on the Pioneer.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I had to pull the airbox on my Rancher 350 to remove the starter, but i could not easily see how to pull the airbox on the Pioneer.
Pull the rear rack/fenders first, 4 bolts on each side.....look above the rear wheels/under the fenders.....one electrical plug towards the front of the rack on the right side for the taillight/brake light. Once the rack/fenders are off you"ll see how easy it is to get the airbox off.

Reactions: CFECO and trigger
L

louisianapioneer

Oct 11, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Pull the rear rack/fenders first, 4 bolts on each side.....look above the rear wheels/under the fenders.....one electrical plug towards the front of the rack on the right side for the taillight/brake light. Once the rack/fenders are off you"ll see how easy it is to get the airbox off.

sounds straightforward - i will give that a try when it gets light out. thankx for the sequence.

M

Muskles

Sep 25, 2017
US
I'm not sure of the location of the starter on the pioneer, but it is under the passenger seat of my big red. After pulling the seat and plastic, the starter was easy to see, but hard to grip to pull out. Had a friend come over and help me. I held a piece of wood on the back of the starter and he tapped it out with a hammer. It was easier to remove the hot wire after it was out. Probably goes without saying, but make sure to disconnect battery first.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

L

louisianapioneer

Oct 11, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500

P500 - A faster P5, it is possible.....gearing increase

Check out this thread, look at the 3rd or 4th pic in the 1st post, you'll see the starter.......obviously you don't need to tear down this far, this was from my gearing mod.
thanks. that was helpful. i have the starter out, and am waiting on a replacement to be delivered.
yes, the rack/fenders come off with a bit of tugging. for some reason tha electrical connector was hard to separate. looks like the airbox comes off with one bolt, one recycling hose, and one clamp to the carb. I think I should wait to take the airbox off until I get the replacement starter, so as not to have open access to the carb for too long ( although I will put a rag over it once it is exposed).

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!