BOX1

P700 Starter Relay? clicks and not starting

costaricaguide

costaricaguide

Aug 26, 2020
colorado
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hauled a cord of firewood from the barn to the house last week and my 2018 700-4 started right up 10x. Hopped in this morning and nothing but rapid clicking coming from what I assume is the starter relay? (see photo). Tried jump starting with my truck in case it's just that the battery was low but same rapid clicking.
Battery terminal connections are tight.
Went through a bunch of snow (2 ft at most) but not water and it doesn't look like snow got into the electrical
She lives in a forty degree garage

So the questions are
1) is the thing I have circled in the photo the starter relay?
2) any diagnostics you can suggest?
3) where (and how? finding the part number?) do you suggest looking for a new one if replacement is the solution?

thanks everyone! This forum has been great.

Pioneer starter relay

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Charge & check the battery if you hanen' t already.
While it's charging:
Check & clean both pos/ neg connections at battery & other end of each cable .
Check & clean ground at frame -- known to be a problem.
Try to jump at the starter if it works most likely relay
If not pull starter -- known problem more frequently on P500 Honda .
Most common problems & a place to begin.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hauled a cord of firewood from the barn to the house last week and my 2018 700-4 started right up 10x. Hopped in this morning and nothing but rapid clicking coming from what I assume is the starter relay? (see photo). Tried jump starting with my truck in case it's just that the battery was low but same rapid clicking.
Battery terminal connections are tight.
Went through a bunch of snow (2 ft at most) but not water and it doesn't look like snow got into the electrical
She lives in a forty degree garage

So the questions are
1) is the thing I have circled in the photo the starter relay?
2) any diagnostics you can suggest?
3) where (and how? finding the part number?) do you suggest looking for a new one if replacement is the solution?

thanks everyone! This forum has been great.

View attachment 249001
Yes, that’s the starter solenoid. I would test voltage at the battery. Then, I would test for voltage at both lugs on that solenoid. When the key is off only one lug will have voltage. When the key is turned over both should have voltage. Like Pappyo says, make sure battery is good first. If both are good then go after the starter. Keep us posted. 😎

costaricaguide

costaricaguide

Aug 26, 2020
colorado
Ownership

1. 700-4
Battery is charging now but just trickling in so either it's almost fully charged or won't take a charge. Have removed, cleaned and reconnected but everything was tight and shiny and new looking. Once battery is fully charged will try again.

Tried jumping at the battery first thing but it was still just clicking. How do I "jump at the starter"?

Also for those who are suggesting the solenoid, would a bad solenoid make the relay click? There is no clicking or any kind of noise or vibration coming from the starter or solenoid, only the relay circled in red in the image.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Since it wouldn't jump start from your truck, I don't think it's a battery problem; that should make the 700's battery's condition irrelevant.

costaricaguide

costaricaguide

Aug 26, 2020
colorado
Ownership

1. 700-4
Since it wouldn't jump start from your truck, I don't think it's a battery problem; that should make the 700's battery's condition irrelevant.
That's what I was thinking too but I wasn't sure. I guess it could still be wiring downstream from the battery.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
The only way to be sure is test with a voltmeter. Find where the power stops. Firing the parts cannon costs money. I would load test the battery first. 😎

Reactions: Backwoods
Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
A dead flat battery will need some time before it will pass power downstream. Charge it up.

Ground at frame- known issue.

costaricaguide

costaricaguide

Aug 26, 2020
colorado
Ownership

1. 700-4
Charged battery for half an hour while I removed reconnected all cables and it started right up. Can't figure out why jumping with my truck didn't work unless I just didn't get the jumpers connected. It's less than 3 yrs old which seems a bit premature but will pick up a new battery next time I head to town.

Thanks for all the help!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!