P1000 Starving for fuel when hot

R

Rustywrench

Jun 28, 2024
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hello, though i do not own a honda SxS, i do work on them aswell as other atvs, i currently have a customers 2016 pioneer 1000eps, and it runs fine when cold, but once its up to temp it will die randomly, after the first time, it acts like its starving for fuel, it struggles to idle and has inconsistent throttle response, and will shutoff randomly every 30sec to a minute, usually on throttle, but at idle sometimes, i did try wiggling the wires on the: Fuel pump, Injectors, and what i think is the IACV, located on the center of the throttle body. Fuel injection is space tech to me🤣 i prefer carburetors, anyhow, Thanks in advance

Reactions: TxDoc
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
2016’s had a lot of injector wiring problems causing rough idle and dying. The club store sells a pigtail for each injector with connectors and heat shrink. The wire pulls loose right at the crimp.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Upload a video of the dash when it dies. It should flash some sort code we can use to point you in the right direction.

Edit, upload video to youtube and copy/paste link here

R

Rustywrench

Jun 28, 2024
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Upload a video of the dash when it dies. It should flash some sort code we can use to point you in the right direction.

Edit, upload video to youtube and copy/paste link here

Here you go, it looks like 1 long blink, then 2 short. To me, but im not sure how they do the code readouts

Reactions: Backwoods and TxDoc
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
injector issue.
code 12 and 13 is an injector problem.
Order 2 kits from the club store and install.

JNo323

JNo323

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2019
Middle, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
My 2018 did the same thing. Crimp was good, but wires broke inside the insulation right at the plug. If you look closely at the plug you can see the wire still inside the crimps. Replaced with kit @Neohio mentioned and never had another issue.

IMG 1020 IMG 1019

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2018 did the same thing. Crimp was good, but wires broke inside the insulation right at the plug. If you look closely at the plug you can see the wire still inside the crimps. Replaced with kit @Neohio mentioned and never had another issue.

View attachment 435038 View attachment 435039
I have a bunch of pictures in my thread linked. I had to figure it all out before the store had a repair kit.

R

Rustywrench

Jun 28, 2024
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
injector issue.
code 12 and 13 is an injector problem.
Order 2 kits from the club store and install.

Thank you, i appreciate some actual help, i was hesitant to post because my usual expirence is getting told the most basic thing, usually something iv tried already, or just getting sent in circles

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you, i appreciate some actual help, i was hesitant to post because my usual expirence is getting told the most basic thing, usually something iv tried already, or just getting sent in circles
You helped us as much as we helped you.
YOU took the time to upload the video and share. Most just want to pull the parts cannon and do things their own way.

Although you did say you wiggled the injector wires without a change, if you give each wire a tug right at the connector, one of them will break. Check the thread I linked, or even the pics posted above.

advertisement
R

Rustywrench

Jun 28, 2024
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You helped us as much as we helped you.
YOU took the time to upload the video and share. Most just want to pull the parts cannon and do things their own way.

Although you did say you wiggled the injector wires without a change, if you give each wire a tug right at the connector, one of them will break. Check the thread I linked, or even the pics posted above.
Haha, yea most "Mechanics" are just parts changers, im a partly self-taught shadetree wrencher, i could never afford to throw parts at my stuff, so i dont with customers either, i also aim for much better work quality on customers stuff then my own

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow, unbelievably great, precise, detailed info on what and why and how to fix. Priceless info and help...... And FOR FREE. What a bargain.

That's why this is the greatest forum I've ever seen or been lucky enough to have been a part of. And, why a lifetime Membership is obvious.

Thank y'all for your time, your effort, and your willingness to help others.

And, for the lady members, or your girlfriends, wives , etc. .

Sent from my motorola edge plus 2023 using Tapatalk

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For anyone interested, not one, but both wires on the front cylinder injector were falling out, the rear has been replaced before, i will be replacing both to make sure there good
It is a very common issue on 16-21's. Might be worth keeping a few on the bench if you work on these a fair amount.