Steering

A

Adam22

May 30, 2021
Ny
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Recently posted about my 2016 pioneer 1000-5 with now 130 miles on it. When you turn to the right, you can turn it with ease. Basically one finger no effort but it doesn't return to center. Now when you turn left you got to grab wheel with full hand and use some strength and soon as you let off it returns Center quickly. There was a recall for power steering lower joint or something. Took it to dealer and said it was OK and signed off on it and checked the steering and said it's fine. The problem is when it's sitting still the steering feels about the same. When your moving there a big difference. The dealer never took it off the trailer.

Last edited:
RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Recently posted about my 2016 pioneer 1000-5 with now 130 miles on it. When you turn to the right, you can't turn it with ease. Basically one finger no effort but it doesn't return to center. Now when you left you got to grab wheel with full hand and use some strength and soon as you let off it returns Center quickly. There was a recall for power steering lower joint or something. Took it to dealer and said it was OK and signed off on it and checked the steering and said it's fine. The problem is when it's sitting still the steering feels about the same. When your moving is big difference. The dealer never took it off the trailer.
Contact a different dealer

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
☝️ ☝️☝️BINGO!☝️☝️☝️

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
A

Adam22

May 30, 2021
Ny
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you think this do to that recall or a different issue?

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Do you think this do to that recall or a different issue?
Here you go bud. Should get u some info your looking for. Click on the link.

A

Adam22

May 30, 2021
Ny
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here you go bud. Should get u some info your looking for. Click on the link.

When the dealer checked it out, he said the bolts fine and that the recall wouldn't effect how smooth it turns. Only looking to make sure bolt was in properly because if not chance of it snapping and causing an accident. At a standstill power steering feels close to the same. Only huge difference once it is moving.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
When the dealer checked it out, he said the bolts fine and that the recall wouldn't effect how smooth it turns. Only looking to make sure bolt was in properly because if not chance of it snapping and causing an accident. At a standstill power steering feels close to the same. Only huge difference once it is moving.
Do u have large aftermarket tires?

A

Adam22

May 30, 2021
Ny
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do u have large aftermarket tires?
No I have the factory set up. This machine one gets driven around the yard. I have contacted a bigger dealer 2 hrs away and he has never seen this so he is making phone calls to higher ups through honda to ask.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
No I have the factory set up. This machine one gets driven around the yard. I have contacted a bigger dealer 2 hrs away and he has never seen this so he is making phone calls to higher ups through honda to ask.
Good deal. Well if its not under the recall, i would look into replacng the stereing rack. @RB3offroad has a nice updated rack

advertisement
A

Adam22

May 30, 2021
Ny
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good deal. Well if its not under the recall, i would look into replacng the stereing rack. @RB3offroad has a nice updated rack
Maybe eventually lol. Looking like power steering to only one side. Might whole new eps motor. Kinda disappointing with only 145 miles on it.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Maybe eventually lol. Looking like power steering to only one side. Might whole new eps motor. Kinda disappointing with only 145 miles on it.
Yeah, but it is a 16’ right? Sitting and or light use aint good.
now if it was a 20-21’ id be disappointed but should b under warranty for those yrs.

Reactions: Mudder
A

Adam22

May 30, 2021
Ny
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, but it is a 16’ right? Sitting and or light use aint good.
now if it was a 20-21’ id be disappointed but should b under warranty for those yrs.
Yea I bought it with 70 miles. Guy never drove it. Trying to locate the eps control module to make sure it has a good connection.

R

rickoshea

mine was doing something very similar.turned out my steering rack was busted on the passenger side.it's in the shop now getting an rb3 hd billet steering rack.(which my honda extended warranty generously decided NOT to cover)

A

Adam22

May 30, 2021
Ny
Ownership

1. 1000-5
mine was doing something very similar.turned out my steering rack was busted on the passenger side.it's in the shop now getting an rb3 hd billet steering rack.(which my honda extended warranty generously decided NOT to cover)
How were you able to tell it was busted? Something noticeable?

Reactions: Mudder
R

rickoshea

How were you able to tell it was busted? Something noticeable?
it would turn left properly but right was really loose feeling.i reclocked the steering and it went right back to where it was before.i jacked it up and checked the tie rods,a arms,ball joints,then took it into the dealers to have them do some cable adjustings(under warranty)and they found it.when they showed me it was as obvious as the nose on my face,i don't know how i missed it.the whole right side of the housing was gone.i mean actually gone.

A

Adam22

May 30, 2021
Ny
Ownership

1. 1000-5
it would turn left properly but right was really loose feeling.i reclocked the steering and it went right back to where it was before.i jacked it up and checked the tie rods,a arms,ball joints,then took it into the dealers to have them do some cable adjustings(under warranty)and they found it.when they showed me it was as obvious as the nose on my face,i don't know how i missed it.the whole right side of the housing was gone.i mean actually gone.
Damn. Mines stiff to the left and fine to the right. I unplugged and check all electrical and plugged back in. Tie rods are good. Steering rack looks good. Guess it will go to a dealer.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!