P1000 stereo wiring

ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I figured I'd have my local stereo shop install a decent stereo, nothing fancy. They have the stereo cheap enough, 100 bucks for and in dash AM/FM USB blue tooth (no CD ..and that's fine). Instead of tying up my phone and messing with blue tooth I have opted for putting my music on USB sticks. Works great for the boat so I figure I'd carry it over to the Pioneer.

So, the stereo was priced right but the only speakers they had were $500 for the pair (JL Audio 6.5's). Nice speakers but more than my budget ...I'm not even sure how much I'd listen to the stereo while riding. It's not the same as a car. But sometimes I suppose a stereo would be nice.

So I found some Kicker speakers with lights that are rated very good for $199. I think I would be satisfied with these, but I'm wondering about running the wiring from the back roll bar to the front. What do you guys use to hide the wires? These speakers would have an extra two wires for the power to the lights.

I'm looking for ideas on where / how to run the wiring and keep it neat and out of the way. One reason I was considering the stereo shop is because they have done work for me before and they do a very neat job.

Here are the speakers I like:
KickerSpeakers
KickerSpeakers

ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Perfect. Thanks. I had no idea what to call it. Never heard of split loom. The one in the link is braided but what is it made of?

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Perfect. Thanks. I had no idea what to call it. Never heard of split loom. The one in the link is braided but what is it made of?
It's kinda like nylon I guess. It overlaps some snd will flatten when you tie it down. I don't like the rigid plastic ribbed split loom like you see under the hood of some cars.

Reactions: ZeroG and Eltobgi
ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone put a rectangle in dash stereo in the middle dash where the warning label is located? Did you have room for any toggle switches over top or underneath the stereo? If so please share pics.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone put a rectangle in dash stereo in the middle dash where the warning label is located? Did you have room for any toggle switches over top or underneath the stereo? If so please share pics.
Are you talking a full size car radio? Single din?
Is there a specific option you want that the round radios do not offer?

Reactions: ZeroG
ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The stereo dealer that has done work for me before and does a great job only sells the rectangle radios. I would like him to do the install, otherwise I'd go with a round one (if it had am/fm USB, and blue tooth).

ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, that could do the trick if the USB would play music. From the link on amazon one says the usb is just for charging ...and I noticed it is not part of the face. The usb would be under the hood unless I mades another opening for it to come thru. I prefer USB on front of radio.
Here is the question and answer copied from your link to Amazon.

With usb port, could i just use a thumb drive, or card reader with a sd card loaded with music?

Answer:
Any thumb drive or USB card reader will work up to 32GB.
By Lucas Alamo on May 22, 2016
Yes you sure can- there is a port off the wires from back of unit. It requires an extension to be convenient. I have those available if needed (also has the round aux in too)
By Legendary Products and Design SELLER on May 22, 2016
No, USB is for charging only. Not an input.
By jason s. on May 23, 2016
I tried to link a MP3 Player through the USB Port, It only charged my MP3 Player. I have not tried a Thumb Drive yet.
By Big Ed on May 22, 2016

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I own the radio, I put a usb port in the glove box and have an older ipod plugged in for charging. It bluetooths into the head unit, so I can’t comment on whether it will read a usb drive.

advertisement
ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the info. I have a 4Runner. It has USB for playing music from a memory stick, and separate USB plug in for charging. So I'm assuming a USB port can either charge or play music from the USB hookup but not both from the same USB port.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The pioneer in my trailblazer will do both from the same usb port.
The round radio has an aux in, but i believe only usb charging.

ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, lets try this another way. What amp switch do you guys use for the switch panel and how many switches do you use...and what are they for? I need one for additional lights, and was thinking of a kill switch for the stereo. I know there are other add ons I'm not thinking of that I will need a switch for. Help me out here please.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Right now i am using a 100amp circuit breaker feeding a 12 circuit fuse panel. I have a 100 amp solenoid to install one of these days to make it keyed off ignition, or powered with key off.
I have a the following in my panel,
Radio, turn signal, light bar, radio on, horn, usb charge port, and a few empties.

I will try to post links, but it is a pita on an ipad,
Radio: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VV6Y7O2/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Antenna: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O8WIS0/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Usb port glove box charging: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX1FT1N/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Fuse block: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P6FTHC/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Circuit breaker: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HDX3YXG/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Isolator: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W4QO5F4/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Horn: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CRZXPI/?tag=sxsweb24-20
isolator:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EAWS6O/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Battery tender harness: plugs in above hood https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N57XLNS/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Switches can be either OTRATTW or equv from Amazon. My usb charging port is a carling v charge from digikey or something like that.

J

JTW

Ok, lets try this another way. What amp switch do you guys use for the switch panel and how many switches do you use...and what are they for? I need one for additional lights, and was thinking of a kill switch for the stereo. I know there are other add ons I'm not thinking of that I will need a switch for. Help me out here please.
Lol.. anything more than 10-15 amps or so you should use a relay. Most of your switches are rated for around 20amps.. first things first. Decide what all you’re planning on running and what kind of amperage those things will draw. Cube lights, interior lights and that sort of stuff won’t matter. If you’re running a 52” light bar drawing 25 amps then your whole game plan changes.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you run a mic tuning switch, use a relays on everything. They are cheap chinese knock off.

If you buy legit carling tech switches, they are rated for 20amps, so anything 15 and under i run without relays.

Chevy412SP

Chevy412SP

Aug 30, 2018
Western New York
Ownership

1. 1000-5
how many of you guys are running the Boss radio unit? Of the guys who are running the BOSS radio how many are running a separate rocker switch for power to the radio unit? If so, why? Is there something I am missing? My thought is save the spot for a rocker switch for another accessory if the radio unit already has a power switch. Thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!