BOX1

P500 STI Diamonds

idcwby

idcwby

Oct 16, 2015
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
After all the good things I was reading about the Maxxis Bighorns, I was probably going to get some for my Buggy. Than my friend showed up at elk camp this last week with some STI Diamond tires and they were very impressive. Was able to push snow with the bumper in 2wd and never had to hit 4wd on any mud hole we found. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on them? Black Diamond | STI Powersports | Tires & Wheels for ATVs, UTVs, Motorcycles

Thanks
idcwby

Reactions: Plumber32
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
After all the good things I was reading about the Maxxis Bighorns, I was probably going to get some for my Buggy. Than my friend showed up at elk camp this last week with some STI Diamond tires and they were very impressive. Was able to push snow with the bumper in 2wd and never had to hit 4wd on any mud hole we found. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on them? Black Diamond | STI Powersports | Tires & Wheels for ATVs, UTVs, Motorcycles

Thanks
idcwby

They look like good tires. I noticed there's two types, one with a deeper lug. How does the price compare to BH's? If you ride a lot of mud I'd suggest the deep lug. If you ride a lot of sugar sand I'd go with the 3/4" ones, they're lighter and will have a little more flotation, you'll get better traction riding the top.

Reactions: idcwby
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks
idcwby
I have owned 2 sets on atvs. I loved them. They do run short in height.

idcwby

idcwby

Oct 16, 2015
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
They look like good tires. I noticed there's two types, one with a deeper lug. How does the price compare to BH's? If you ride a lot of mud I'd suggest the deep lug. If you ride a lot of sugar sand I'd go with the 3/4" ones, they're lighter and will have a little more flotation, you'll get better traction riding the top.

Most of my riding is hard pack, mud, and snow. Just doing a quick comparison on price they look to be about the same as the bighorns and maybe a touch cheaper.

idcwby

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I haven't shopped for tires for a bit, but last i checked, the BD XTR's (the only BD you should bother buying, IMO) were like $30 cheaper than original Big Horns (the only BH you should bother buying, IMO) for a 25x10x12.

That said, I had XTR's on both a 450S Foreman and my 700 Pioneer, and they were great.

The only thing...and it's kind of a strange complaint, but to me, the sidewall/shoulder of these tires look a little more vulnerable than some tires, though I confess I had ZERO issues with this. It's nice because they have deep treads, yet are a nice all-terrain type tread. As @Plumber32 said, they run a bit small.

Now...i did run BH's eventually, and they were as awesome as their price suggests...BUT even i have to admit it would be tough to cough up the extra cash for BH's over XTR's.

idcwby

idcwby

Oct 16, 2015
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Do I need to go to a 11" wide tire in the back so I'm the same width as the front?

idcwby

H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
IMG 0866
Do I need to go to a 11" wide tire in the back so I'm the same width as the front?

idcwby
We'll, after 623 miles of rough riding in Idaho and Colorado on rock and gravel roads and trails, I'll stick with Ripsaw R/T's, 25" on stock rims with 1 1/2" wheel spacers on all fours. Ran 5 lbs in the front and 6 lbs in the rear. Never got into any snow or mud. The tires do toss rocks, especially with the wheel spacers. Broke my Baddawg side view mirror when a flying rock hit it. Guess there is no one tire that fits all needs for sure, it all depends on the type of terrains you operate in. My only complaint was I wish I had a little more ground clearance, glad I beefed up that skid plate for sure.

idcwby

idcwby

Oct 16, 2015
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 58158
We'll, after 623 miles of rough riding in Idaho and Colorado on rock and gravel roads and trails, I'll stick with Ripsaw R/T's, 25" on stock rims with 1 1/2" wheel spacers on all fours. Ran 5 lbs in the front and 6 lbs in the rear. Never got into any snow or mud. The tires do toss rocks, especially with the wheel spacers. Broke my Baddawg side view mirror when a flying rock hit it. Guess there is no one tire that fits all needs for sure, it all depends on the type of terrains you operate in. My only complaint was I wish I had a little more ground clearance, glad I beefed up that skid plate for sure.

Thanks for the reply, but that really didn't answer my question.

idcwby

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!