Stiffer Sway Bar

H

HondaTech

Can anybody explain to me how the Raceco part keeps the frame from cracking? I'm not knocking Raceco at all, I run a bunch of Jamie's stuff, but I can't see how that cures the frame cracking. I can see how it prevents the sway bar mounts from cracking and breaking off though.....

In my non professional opinion, I think these frames crack in those spots because the rear half of the frame flexes up and down while riding because it basically has zero support. The two tiny tubes that crack run from the rear bulkhead up to the B pillar cross bar and are the only two tubes that support the entire rear of the chassis. The stock "rollcage" does zero to support the rear section of the chassis in that respect because it's only held on with (4) 6mm bolts off the back of the frame. Aftermarket cages that bolt on to that same spot with no other rear supports are just as useless in regards to frame flex and cracking. Had Honda mounted the tubes to the top of the rear section of frame in the bed it would have helped with chassis flex a ton. I noticed this potential problem immediately after taking the plastics and bed off my Talon when I went to start my short course build. My solution to the problem was to cut all the tubes under the bed off, replace those with DOM tube of various thickness and size, and then tie the rear down bars of my cage directly into the frame. I raced the entire 2021 season of the Texas Outlaw short course Series and had no frame cracking issues to speak of.

View attachment 365107

View attachment 365108

So apparently I lied, the race car has broken the vertical tubes by the sway bar mount. I just never knew about it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The sway bar mounts break due to being pushed inwards, the RaceCo brace goes all the way across and doesn't allow the mounts to be forced up and in.

They weren't designed to stop the bar from snapping.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So apparently I lied, the race car has broken the vertical tubes by the sway bar mount. I just never knew about it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The sway bar mounts break due to being pushed inwards, the RaceCo brace goes all the way across and doesn't allow the mounts to be forced up and in.

They weren't designed to stop the bar from snapping.
We'll forgive you this one time! HA!

• Haha
Reactions: scottkooch and CID
B

Brazula4life

Jan 19, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
I want to send my 1000-X4 shocks to Weller for a respring and re-valve. Rock crawling (sand hollow, moab, etc.) accounts for 80% of my driving and is what really wets my whistle. The other 20% is service road cruising with grandma and grandpa. I'm not a speed demon and don't drive particularly fast since my kids or (older) parents are usually with me.

I've read all (I think) the threads on Talon suspension setup, springs and tuning and am pretty certain that I want the full soft package (5-20mph). Im willing to adjust (slow) my driving style on the hardpacked roads to accommodate the new shock setup.

To help with body roll on pavement and dirt roads, I'm looking for a sway bar that is significantly stiffer than stock. The only two I have found are an Eibach for a two-seater and Double E unit that may or may not (?) fit a talon.

Does anyone have experience with these? @Lil_Steve @Brazula4life @PaulF
Will they work with a X4?
Can anyone recommend a sway bar other than the two mentioned above?
I have the double e on my talon r lv and works much better than stock. Has 5 adjustments

Reactions: Smitty335
prostreet66mustang

prostreet66mustang

Dec 6, 2020
Oro Valley (Tucson) Az
Ownership

1. Talon R
Be very careful with well racing. They talk big but do not know the honda. They do yamaha. Put your own soft springs on it and quick disconect on the Eibach sway bar. Yes the rear frame is a weak point but if you are not hitting things at fast speed the frame should hold up. All of the raceco stuff is top of the line it is needed but if you have it unhook most of the time. Weller will not retune your shocks they just put in the fox fast travel pistons. If you really feel like you need to revalve Double E racing. And at NO means go to ST. Double E is super good and knows what he is talking about or even raceco. Burned by ST and Jayson Weller.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
Jon M

Jon M

Aug 29, 2021
Phoenix AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Weller will not retune your shocks they just put in the fox fast travel pistons.
How do you know this?
What is a "fast travel piston"?

Im not that worried about the frame cracking. I don't do fast.
ST is a few miles from me but I don't plan on using them. Heard from multiple sources that they won't go as soft as I want it.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Be very careful with well racing. They talk big but do not know the honda. They do yamaha. Put your own soft springs on it and quick disconect on the Eibach sway bar. Yes the rear frame is a weak point but if you are not hitting things at fast speed the frame should hold up. All of the raceco stuff is top of the line it is needed but if you have it unhook most of the time. Weller will not retune your shocks they just put in the fox fast travel pistons. If you really feel like you need to revalve Double E racing. And at NO means go to ST. Double E is super good and knows what he is talking about or even raceco. Burned by ST and Jayson Weller.

Once you have your shocks/springs tuned by George at Double E Racing you understand what a good setup feels like and then realize what garbage the stuff you had before was. I've been telling people for the last couple years, here and other places, to call Double E Racing for shock tuning but for some reason they think because he does "race" shock tuning he can't help them. You can lead a horse to water..... 😆

prostreet66mustang

prostreet66mustang

Dec 6, 2020
Oro Valley (Tucson) Az
Ownership

1. Talon R
How do you know this?
What is a "fast travel piston"?

Im not that worried about the frame cracking. I don't do fast.
ST is a few miles from me but I don't plan on using them. Heard from multiple sources that they won't go as soft as I want it.
Fox makes a high flow piston which is what Weller put in, but the key thing is to then put the right shims or this washer type of item that controls how fast or slow the oil flows through the piston. ST drilled two holes in the stock pistons. Weller changed the pistons but either did not know or take the time to change the shims or valving. Then tore my rear apart after telling me it would be ready for the start of my race season knowing he did not have the parts to put them back together. Gave them back apart in a box and said OH WELL. Plus knowing sold me the wrong springs. Another shop put the backs together and still riding them a year later. Plus they either do not know or will not tell you what there spring rate is. And they are a sponsor of the races. Put the Eibach springs and sway bar on with 30" tires and learn to adjust the springs your self. It is not that hard and the 30" tires make it so on G out the shock will hit bottom before the car dose. You should be adjust your ride height as the springs settle any way.

Jon M

Jon M

Aug 29, 2021
Phoenix AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Once you have your shocks/springs tuned by George at Double E Racing you understand what a good setup feels like and then realize what garbage the stuff you had before was. I've been telling people for the last couple years, here and other places, to call Double E Racing for shock tuning but for some reason they think because he does "race" shock tuning he can't help them. You can lead a horse to water..... 😆
Does double E tune for specific riding? Race? Dune? Trail? Crawl? Or do they offer pre-packaged well-rounded setups?
I only ask because I do not want a well-rounded setup. I want suspension that is tuned for crawling and slow (5-15mph) super rocky trails.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does double E tune for specific riding? Race? Dune? Trail? Crawl? Or do they offer pre-packaged well-rounded setups?
I only ask because I do not want a well-rounded setup. I want suspension that is tuned for crawling and slow (5-15mph) super rocky trails.

Every setup he does is custom, George is not a one trick pony. You tell him what you want and he gives that to you. He is very good at tuning rock crawling setups, he is the winning shock tuner for the KOH UTV class and is the exclusive tuner for Miller bros/Can-Am racing. George is probably one of the most well rounded UTV shock tuners out there but he doesn't do fancy videos like ST so he usually gets overlooked.

Reactions: Buggyman and CID
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
something to be said for fancy marketing if you are on the receiving end of the transaction….

im blown away at their limit strap kit cost, same stuff sells on prp site for at least half the cost, just need to be smart enough to use a tape measure or use a phone and call them……

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I would say yes, kinda the same feel . I like them, @Plumber32 swears by them
I would be very interested in seeing a picture of these mounted up. Did you use shock mount studs on the sway bar end, through bolts on the lower? Shaft or body end on the top? This seems like a very good comprise vs unhooking the sway bar completely.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I would be very interested in seeing a picture of these mounted up. Did you use shock mount studs on the sway bar end, through bolts on the lower? Shaft or body end on the top? This seems like a very good comprise vs unhooking the sway bar completely.

S

Sunday SendIT

Jul 22, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon R
Have been running Double E racing sway bar for about 5k miles. LOVE it. I run everything from high-speed washes to Poison spider, behind the rocks, wipe out and all the other crazy stuff. I never disconnect the links and drive around most of the guys trying to pick a line.

HOWEVER, the frame is prone to breaking at the sway bar gussets. Get a Raceco sway bar frame brace, immediately, something I believe everybody should have.
After your frame breaks (mine broke in three spots) contact me and I'll hook you up with my custom gusset set. Yeah I know my welding skills need some work
.View attachment 364954View attachment 364953
what do you charge for your brace

D

Davegun81

Apr 7, 2022
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Plumber32 I have these on our sway bars and they help tons. Still gives you the swaybar feel but with more articulation. Plumber can explain it better. Mine is an x2 his is an x4
How does it handle for high speed cornering with these shocks? Is it close to stock? Thanks

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
How does it handle for high speed cornering with these shocks? Is it close to stock? Thanks
Handles fine. Softer than stock but not alot
Just like anything else, dont take a corner like your in the Detroit Grand Prix and youll be fine

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!