P1000 Stock pk1000-3 Deluxe skid plate?

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I cant seem to find any pics of what the underside looks like of a stock Pk1000-3 Deluxe and am wondering if there is already some type of basic skid plate that comes standard with the machine or if I should be already looking for one to install when it finally gets here? If it ever does. I don't plan to do any serious rock climbing with it and trails I would ride are mostly the swampy, muddy or gravelly type. Nothing real obscene. With almost 13 inches of clearance I don't see any problem if it just has something to keep a stick or something from popping up through. I was thinking of at least installing the cv boot protector shields. I have them on my regular Honda 300 and Bombardier Traxter wheelers. Thanks for any thoughts on that.

H

HondaTech

There is a standard thin 2 piece plastic skid plate on the Pioneer. It wont stand up to much except for gravel or black top use. Any serious trail riding will leave it beat up.
OEM Plastic Installed

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There is a standard thin 2 piece plastic skid plate on the Pioneer. It wont stand up to much except for gravel or black top use. Any serious trail riding will leave it beat up.
View attachment 299306
Wow I have a slow internet and didn't see the pic until just now. Thank you for sending that Honda Tech! I guess I should be looking into a little better skid plate!

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That isn’t a skid plate, it’s a thin, brittle plastic covering, you definitely want a real skid plate.
That's what I was kind of thinking so that's why I asked the question. I would think Honda would put something a little more protective on the most vulnerable area of the vehicle. Does Honda even have an upgrade to the standard thin brittle paper like plate? I would think they could get another $500+ for a skid plate upgrade. Should be easy money for them or if an add on extra $ for the dealer to install.

H

HondaTech

That's what I was kind of thinking so that's why I asked the question. I would think Honda would put something a little more protective on the most vulnerable area of the vehicle. Does Honda even have an upgrade to the standard thin brittle paper like plate? I would think they could get another $500+ for a skid plate upgrade. Should be easy money for them or if an add on extra $ for the dealer to install.

They have an aluminum one that covers the same area but they get bent and are impossible to get back on once they are.

They also have a upgraded UHMW one as well, but its not worth thr money. Get Factory UTV, Trail Armor or one of the other thicker skids that cover more and are much thicker.

The Honda plastic a-arm guards are ok, but pricey because Honda. Just watch when buying aftermarket that they dont rub tbe brake calipers in the front at full steer lock. Its been an issue in the past.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They have an aluminum one that covers the same area but they get bent and are impossible to get back on once they are.

They also have a upgraded UHMW one as well, but its not worth thr money. Get Factory UTV, Trail Armor or one of the other thicker skids that cover more and are much thicker.

The Honda plastic a-arm guards are ok, but pricey because Honda. Just watch when buying aftermarket that they dont rub tbe brake calipers in the front at full steer lock. Its been an issue in the past.
Wow ok great information Honda Tech! That's exactly the information I was asking for! Thanks again!

advertisement
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 299306

Wow! But for a different reason! I have a hoist in my RV garage, but had not thought of lifting 'er up that way. Anything to be cautious about? Fluids, etc.? How about lifting from the rear? In the photo, do you have a padded "stop" up against the top rear of the roll bar so it doesn't continue further back or is that not an issue due to weight distribution?

Oh, just for grins, I'll post a picture of two Huskys, a former dealer friend was passing through and needed a place to keep one overnight, so we pulled his under mine. We were hoping for a litter, and I'd get pick, but that didn't happen. :)

I rigged the lift so I could get my glider and other aircraft in and out without shuffling airplanes around.

FltAgee11

H

HondaTech

Wow! But for a different reason! I have a hoist in my RV garage, but had not thought of lifting 'er up that way. Anything to be cautious about? Fluids, etc.? How about lifting from the rear? In the photo, do you have a padded "stop" up against the top rear of the roll bar so it doesn't continue further back or is that not an issue due to weight distribution?

Oh, just for grins, I'll post a picture of two Huskys, a former dealer friend was passing through and needed a place to keep one overnight, so we pulled his under mine. We were hoping for a litter, and I'd get pick, but that didn't happen. :)

I rigged the lift so I could get my glider and other aircraft in and out without shuffling airplanes around.

View attachment 299326

Unfortunately thats not my photo, i stole it to demonstrate the stock skid plate. The only thing id be weary of would be fuel spillage with the stock vent and full tank. Everything else should be ok.

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5

^^this^^
very happy w my factory UTV skid in 1/2" UHMW
my buddy is about to throw away the aluminum honda plate from his LE after just one year and move to a full coverage UHMW.

he already had two sticks come through the floorboard outside the coverage of the stock skid and def no way it will go back on after we take it off

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I like the fact that superatv plate uses factory drilled holes. I am wondering if there is additional drilling of holes due to the larger area being covered. I hate drilling extra holes in new stuff unless absolutely necessary.

Reactions: Lady01
JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the fact that superatv plate uses factory drilled holes. I am wondering if there is additional drilling of holes due to the larger area being covered. I hate drilling extra holes in new stuff unless absolutely necessary.
yes you will have to drill some holes to cover the extra area. no way around it
well worth it IMO

Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is a member on here, CTDpower I think, that has a template available for making your own Uhmw skid plates. Several guys have done it, you can have the template printed at office max or wherever and get the plastic and cut out yourself if you're handy. That way you can make it as thick as you like and add extra vent holes for exhaust, etc. Theres a thread on here, I think if you search DIY Skid plate template you should find it. You're definitely going to want something thicker, the factory one shouldn't even be called a skid plate, its more like a paper plate.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There is a member on here, CTDpower I think, that has a template available for making your own Uhmw skid plates. Several guys have done it, you can have the template printed at office max or wherever and get the plastic and cut out yourself if you're handy. That way you can make it as thick as you like and add extra vent holes for exhaust, etc. Theres a thread on here, I think if you search DIY Skid plate template you should find it. You're definitely going to want something thicker, the factory one shouldn't even be called a skid plate, its more like a paper plate.
Thank you I will check that out!

Reactions: Lady01
Heinecke2

Heinecke2

Nov 15, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another vote for the diy. I used the template mentioned here. Cost $20 to get it printed locally and $95 for a 4'x8' sheet of 3/8 HDPE. I've hit pretty hard a few times and it is holding up well.
I only used existing weldnut locations for the main section then used M5 rivnuts for the sides. Straight forward to do but did take a few hours of labor.

Reactions: Bombardier Convert
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another vote for the diy. I used the template mentioned here. Cost $20 to get it printed locally and $95 for a 4'x8' sheet of 3/8 HDPE. I've hit pretty hard a few times and it is holding up well.
I only used existing weldnut locations for the main section then used M5 rivnuts for the sides. Straight forward to do but did take a few hours of labor.
You said, "HDPE", or high density polyethylene - that'd be the stuff they often make plastic bottles of. UHMW-PE, or ultra high molecular weight polyethylene, is far and away stronger and way more expensive. Here's one on-line example at $650 for a 4'x8' x 3/8" sheet.

UHMW

Now I know some suppliers of skid plates are advertising UHMW "blends", I have no idea how that affects the material in terms of quality and suitability for the application. I do know how UHMW performs, as I've used it for years for skids, cutting edge, and chute liner on my tractor mounted snow blower. UHMW is up to 20 times more resistant to abrasion than carbon steel, and is the mechanically strongest long chain polymer available. It also has a high thermal coefficient of expansion (which means mounting holes often need to be oversize as the material contracts and expands with temperature). UHMW is also slicker than snake snot on a flat rock, being almost as slippery as Teflon - but way stronger. One inch is said to stop a .45 ACP (I haven't tried that.)

Last edited:
advertisement