Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use my winch in the front and straps in the back. Any down side to using the winch to hold it to the trailer?
I've seen many people use their winch. I know that doesn't always make it a good idea (Google "lemmings" lol).

Reactions: BWAF
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I use my winch in the front and straps in the back. Any down side to using the winch to hold it to the trailer?

I use my winch as well some day when I get done with this bed I will have the wheel nets but I use what I got for now

Reactions: Flgator_80
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I used to use the winch on a Ranger to strap it to a trailer. I went to use the winch one day and the cable had been pulled down into the middle of the rest of the cable from the bouncing on the trailer. I wasn't able to use the winch that day and that's when I changed how I strapped my machines down. Since I trailer about 5 days a week, this is by far the best setup I've used. It's fast, no bounce and very secure.
IMG 1659

Flgator_80

Flgator_80

Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2017
Lexington, Tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used to use the winch on a Ranger to strap it to a trailer. I went to use the winch one day and the cable had been pulled down into the middle of the rest of the cable from the bouncing on the trailer. I wasn't able to use the winch that day and that's when I changed how I strapped my machines down. Since I trailer about 5 days a week, this is by far the best setup I've used. It's fast, no bounce and very secure.
View attachment 66763
I ordered some myself

Koda

Koda

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Canton Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 66763

Best set up I’ve ever used. Fast and secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Flgator_80 - I know quite a few people that do that with success but I have always heard that it puts stress on the winch spool (or something like that) and it should be avoided.

Hell when I bought my Honda the guys loaded it on the trailer and said I was good to go... I said can you help me strap it down? They said how far are you going? Awe you will be fine :eek:
Needless to say I strapped it down.

I will take pics of how I strap down when I load up tomorrow
Here are pics

3BFDC533 41EE 4215 856E 47C8AB1E0B88
E9F37C81 BC48 4A27 9080 698C0A74CFAF
CE8211E8 7390 48E6 848B 36CB7DF91B8F

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last edited:
Reactions: JTW
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve not seen straps like that. Where did you get them?
Those are Mac's Straps definitely not the cheapest solution out there but they are built for punishment. Having never really trailered something before I wanted to make darn sure it was tied down good and I had an experience where the cheap ones I bought would seize up the ratchet. I only use these when I am trailering for more than 1.5 hours. if it is to the local riding spot 20 down the road I use another method.

Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Those are Mac's Straps definitely not the cheapest solution out there but they are built for punishment. Having never really trailered something before I wanted to make darn sure it was tied down good and I had an experience where the cheap ones I bought would seize up the ratchet. I only use these when I am trailering for more than 1.5 hours. if it is to the local riding spot 20 down the road I use another method.

Used to do that till I watched a buddy lose his bulldozer, that was only going 1 mile to another field and the very next week I came upon a guy that was only going 5 miles to his dealers and his POPO was considerably "SHORTER" than it had been.

Now I ALWAYS tie down completely.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Used to do that till I watched a buddy lose his bulldozer, that was only going 1 mile to another field and the very next week I came upon a guy that was only going 5 miles to his dealers and his POPO was considerably "SHORTER" than it had been.

Now I ALWAYS tie down completely.
O i still tie down - I just tie down more like everyone else - I have straps that go through the front bumper and ones that are attached to the back by the hitch... it is snug but quicker - because with the mac straps I always wrap them up all nice and neat... pamper and tell a good night story too :eek: - the other straps- get tossed into the truck bed until time to go home.

Yea, it is a personal problem I am seeking help for:D

J

JTW

I like those nets much better..

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just pulled it 560 miles, and did not move an inch. Hooked to underframe, rear ratched forward, front pulled backwards.5511c62901976046aa90e7ed6506549c65acc40e63520c57633844af8555d206

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
DFA360F0 517C 4335 850C 203E91CEAA57
I use the same system as @drfubar has and is where I first got the idea from. I just have it for the front and noting in the back and they work fantastic. I do have another set for the rear that I haven’t put on yet just for got measure. @trigger has them on his smaller trailer also. I bought mine from Cabelas’s as did trigger. Had some Cabelas points to use up.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 68073 I use the same system as @drfubar has and is where I first got the idea from. I just have it for the front and noting in the back and they work fantastic. I do have another set for the rear that I haven’t put on yet just for got measure. @trigger has them on his smaller trailer also. I bought mine from Cabelas’s as did trigger. Had some Cabelas points to use up.
I love that method and want to do it but have commitment issues to exactly where I am going to part the Honda on the trailer lol... I keep trying a little forward, and little back just need to pick a spot and go..:confused:

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I love that method and want to do it but have commitment issues to exactly where I am going to part the Honda on the trailer lol... I keep trying a little forward, and little back just need to pick a spot and go..:confused:
If this helps...depending on the type of trailer you have you want to distribute the weight of your load at least to keep the load from bucking your truck. That being said...some unsolicited advice, I would hook up the trailer to your truck and pull your pioneer forward and back to see where it’s most evenly distributed on your trailer with the truck then mark your brackets to install. If you have already done this or know how, than Cary on my friend. :)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!