P1000m5 Strapping the 4x4 to a trailer

aprils_fool

aprils_fool

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
Big Rapids, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok fellas heres what I came up with for quick easy and relatively cheap.
From Amazon I got
Rhino Tie down straps 4 pk - $13
Rated 10,000 lb
HFS 1 1/2" ×15' 4pk - $29
Rated 3,000 lb
3/8" weld on D rings 12pk - $29
From local menards I got
Trailer Safety Chain and 2 threaded links for around $20
I Cut lengths from the safety chains and attatched to end of Rhino straps with links for the front.
The Rhino straps just loop through themselves around low point on the A- arms
I run the buggy up tight to the front of the trailer snap the hooks in the D rings back it up and ratchet strap the back end.
Takes less than 10 minutes and its always in the same place on the trailer.

E67055bce974be055eb712290c2f81526265d2e260c39705a59b09e24ba0c699Be2c3e85305423644bb9899bcc69eb7eCd783615d7e4c2467eb1c133a2b622668ee3d47e45f5435824bbb545a65697e6

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m liking the Erickson straps/chocks but I wouldn’t trust them INSIDE a trailer the ROPS is swaying back and forth a good 16” total left & right.

If I pick up an 7x16 enclosed I may have to steady it somehow...

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used to use the winch on a Ranger to strap it to a trailer. I went to use the winch one day and the cable had been pulled down into the middle of the rest of the cable from the bouncing on the trailer. I wasn't able to use the winch that day and that's when I changed how I strapped my machines down. Since I trailer about 5 days a week, this is by far the best setup I've used. It's fast, no bounce and very secure.
View attachment 66763

I just looked into these and they say maximum machine weight is 1500#. Could that be a problem if you ever had an insurance claim?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m liking the Erickson straps/chocks but I wouldn’t trust them INSIDE a trailer the ROPS is swaying back and forth a good 16” total left & right.

If I pick up an 7x16 enclosed I may have to steady it somehow...
How did you measure that? Even with the Honda recommend tie down method I get that at lest.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did you measure that? Even with the Honda recommend tie down method I get that at lest.

What I could see in the rearview mirror was moving left to right and I could measure what I saw move afterward to guestimate how far it was moving.

With the Honda method I get very little movement, I have to ratchet it DOWN to keep them from coming loose so its not going anywhere. With the Tire straps, since the Pioneer isn't a near rigid part of the trailer the shocks absorb some of the bumps and the ride is better in the Explorer because theres less jarring.

Jury is still out for me:

Ericsson is much quicker, better ride, no straps flaming in the wind, load is in same spot each time, very dynamic load.

Honda method more secure, much less dynamic load, tears up tiedowns, longer to tiedown, have to remember where I positioned it on trailer last time.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

What I could see in the rearview mirror was moving left to right and I could measure what I saw move afterward to guestimate how far it was moving.

With the Honda method I get very little movement, I have to ratchet it DOWN to keep them from coming loose so its not going anywhere. With the Tire straps, since the Pioneer isn't a near rigid part of the trailer the shocks absorb some of the bumps and the ride is better in the Explorer because theres less jarring.

Jury is still out for me:

Ericsson is much quicker, better ride, no straps flaming in the wind, load is in same spot each time, very dynamic load.

Honda method more secure, much less dynamic load, tears up tiedowns, longer to tiedown, have to remember where I positioned it on trailer last time.
I agree with you... I’m just not sold on the idea of the tire straps.

Reactions: BigOL3
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with you... I’m just not sold on the idea of the tire straps.

Going to give it a shot but have straps to tie it down like Honda says with me.
I ended up getting 50% back on the already discounted Ericsson straps, TSC was having a 2day deal and I went in the next day and mentioned " I wish Id known" they gave me half my money back so about $30 for all four corners.

I don't think Id use them in a toy hauler/enclosed except as a way to keep it from shifting forward or backward if the other straps failed.

J

JTW

Going to give it a shot but have straps to tie it down like Honda says with me.
I ended up getting 50% back on the already discounted Ericsson straps, TSC was having a 2day deal and I went in the next day and mentioned " I wish Id known" they gave me half my money back so about $30 for all four corners.

I don't think Id use them in a toy hauler/enclosed except as a way to keep it from shifting forward or backward if the other straps failed.
Lol.. that’s awesome!

A toyhauler is where I could see them being good, due to the lack of angle on the straps from the reduced space and the brackets not being in the way like they could on a flatbed.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lol.. that’s awesome!

A toyhauler is where I could see them being good, due to the lack of angle on the straps from the reduced space and the brackets not being in the way like they could on a flatbed.

definitely but you'd need space for it to sway left and right

L

Landlord9000

Feb 10, 2018
Springfield, MO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought that Amazon wheel strap kit. Even has a pioneer on the box.

bolted to trailer, and it's so simple to use I feel like it's cheating.

Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek
ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Which kit Amazon has many?

H

Herky

Dec 9, 2016
Duluth, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
After much research, and some trial and error, I have finally found what may be the best solution to securely tying my Honda to my trailer. Mac's of Idaho makes a 2" set that combines an axle strap with a ratcheting strap. It seems perfect. My question is, why don't dealers, especially dealers selling both SxS's and trailers, know how to marry the two, or have suitable strapping to safely and securely toe them together? I'm new at this so maybe I've missed prior comments. Also, where, on a P5KD, is the best location to attach the strapping?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WARNING: P1000 owner's manual tells you to trailer your machine with the gear shift in PARK and the tranny in 4X4. Today a qualified mechanic at the dealership told me that a Honda Rep recently told him not to do this because with all the jerks and bumps your machine goes through while riding on your trailer, the transmission and other sensors take a beating and go through a lot of wear, meaning early trouble & replacement issues. Instead, I was told the Rep said that after your machine is strapped properly to the trailer, move the shifter to NEUTRAL and let your straps do all the work. Naturally this means that you will have to check your straps very, very often because you can bet that they will stretch, and your machine will become loose and begin rolling on your trailer.

Last edited:
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
There is no way Im leaving the damn thing in neutral on the back of the trailer without a parking brake.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
There is no way Im leaving the damn thing in neutral on the back of the trailer without a parking brake.
I can't get mine strapped down tight enough to keep the suspension from giving and straps getting slack in them and when you stop they are tight. Use my trailer for all kinds of hauling so the strap over the tire won't work cause I don't want the chalks or track in the way. I may try two come alongs, front and rear.

H

Herky

Dec 9, 2016
Duluth, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I can't get mine strapped down tight enough to keep the suspension from giving and straps getting slack in them and when you stop they are tight. Use my trailer for all kinds of hauling so the strap over the tire won't work cause I don't want the chalks or track in the way. I may try two come alongs, front and rear.

Yes, the suspension is what will get you if you use only straps. I haven't figured out a safe way to do this yet without using the transmission unless I want to make some trailer mods. My fore & aft restraints have always been at an angle, but without using the transmission maybe a straight pull fore & aft plus at least one to eliminate/reduce hop will work. Thanks again, Honda.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes, the suspension is what will get you if you use only straps. I haven't figured out a safe way to do this yet without using the transmission unless I want to make some trailer mods. My fore & aft restraints have always been at an angle, but without using the transmission maybe a straight pull fore & aft plus at least one to eliminate/reduce hop will work. Thanks again, Honda.
That's what I'm thinking, will try it out Saturday.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!