Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is no way Im leaving the damn thing in neutral on the back of the trailer without a parking brake.
Can you imagine that at the time of the Great Hay bale explosion …. I might have ended up with yours on my hood as mine drifted off into the road crew holding shovels

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
exactly the p1000 would have literally fell off my flat bed and went straight through your hood. I do use my winch as well attached to a chain in my bed, lock in 4wd diff lock and in park. I will take risk with abusing my winch so it won't fall on someone behind me.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't get mine strapped down tight enough to keep the suspension from giving and straps getting slack in them and when you stop they are tight. Use my trailer for all kinds of hauling so the strap over the tire won't work cause I don't want the chalks or track in the way. I may try two come alongs, front and rear.
Yes, the suspension is what will get you if you use only straps. I haven't figured out a safe way to do this yet without using the transmission unless I want to make some trailer mods. My fore & aft restraints have always been at an angle, but without using the transmission maybe a straight pull fore & aft plus at least one to eliminate/reduce hop will work. Thanks again, Honda.

Solution is do not involve the suspension in the tie-down. I use ratchet straps attached to the FRAME. There is no 'give' other than the tires. Even that amounts to nothing since I am not really pulling DOWN, but more forward/backwards. Unless the straps themselves stretch a LOT, it will hold steady. If they stretch that much, get better straps.

J

JTW

I’ve said it before... I’ll say it again. Add these cheap exhaust hangers on the rear rops with a d ring and put a couple chain lengths cut to fit with enclosed hooks on the end (rear straps have been changed since pics). It will not come off the trailer. I set the parking brake and leave it in neutral. On the front are two 10000lbs ratchet straps from rural king (I think they’re $7) they pull the machine forward and compress the suspension. It will not move!

A6DD2744 25F3 486B 8D5F FD56DE2A5EFC 0AF62241 DA6C 4AC3 BE47 19EB2B62066C 2033D03D 7B7D 470D B532 2A5F7DC7AAE1 165FB988 A752 4327 9F11 CCF039E6E95B F9015024 566F 4732 AB29 097827D7C03B

Reactions: BWAF and BigOL3
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is the 3rd long trip I’ve used the Erickson over the tire tie downs and while I thought they’d be crap I REALLY like them. I do have a strap on each tire but the Fox Shocks take some of the energy from bumps and potholes and it makes for a better ride in tow vehicle. I was worried the suspension would have the machine leaning all over the place but it really doesn’t.

The exception being I personally wouldn’t use then inside a toyhauler because I’d be worried the ROPS would tear something up.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ive towed mine twice like this and it is well secured. I'll admit i also used a 2" strap through the rear shackle just for safety sake (not shown here). These are tire bonnets from tractor supply spaced four feet apart.
20180527 194137

L

Landlord9000

Feb 10, 2018
Springfield, MO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've been using these wheel straps a bit now, and twice I've had one come off.... Not sure if I have to crank the heck outta them or what. I've started adding a bumper strap for peace of mind.

Reactions: BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been using these wheel straps a bit now, and twice I've had one come off.... Not sure if I have to crank the heck outta them or what. I've started adding a bumper strap for peace of mind.

straps or bonnets?

I try to center them on the tire and I crank them down pretty good.
I'll have to watch mine, haven't had them move yet and but I only have about 1000-1500miles on them.

Reactions: BWAF and JTW
L

Landlord9000

Feb 10, 2018
Springfield, MO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Straps, the blue ones from Amazon. I really like how easy they are...… I'll just try cranking harder. They're reasonably well centered.

Reactions: BWAF
outlawhondarider

outlawhondarider

2017 PK3
Lifetime Member
Mar 24, 2018
Dallas Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Slick. Might consider.

We have 2 P1K's and 1 Rhino that we strap down with the Erickson Wheel Chock Tie Downs, 2 per rig, 1 on opposite corners. We go on long and short trips, never had an issue and your rig will NOT move. You have the benefit of a chock, as well as ratchet strap to lock it down. Prior to these straps, no matter how tight i cranked the straps down, the jounce of suspension could loosen the straps, or allow rig to move. With the Ericksons, the tire compression actually helps keep the strap tight. There is also no chance of strap breaking from rubbing, or suspension damage from hooks or being compressed.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!