P700 Stretched Oil Pump Chain

N

Nevinst

Mar 7, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 700-2
Is it common at all for the oil pump chain on a 2016 Pioneer 700 (with 3000+ hrs) to stretch and jump the sprocket? My machine was purchased used and burned a lot of oil when I got it and until I rebuilt the top end. It is likely that it received some abuse during the period before I owned it. About 300 miles after my top end work, the timing chain slipped. When I tore it down I discovered what looks to be damage to the timing chain that was caused by an extremely loose oil chain which looks to have jumped the sprocket and contacted the timing chain, damaging one of the timing chain links, causing it to slip out of time. Upon looking further it seems that the oil pump chain had been so loose for so long that it actually wore against the oil pump housing enough to wear completely through the housing. I cannot imagine what sort of abuse/wear could have occurred to cause the oil pump chain to stretch as far (and last as long) as it has. Is this a common thing? I can't seem to find much on the internet or in this forum on the matter.

Is there anything else in particular I need to look at before I start replacing damaged components and putting it back together?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rupert
K

Kite

Aug 2, 2022
Tishomingo Okla
Ownership

1. 700-4
Is it common at all for the oil pump chain on a 2016 Pioneer 700 (with 3000+ hrs) to stretch and jump the sprocket? My machine was purchased used and burned a lot of oil when I got it and until I rebuilt the top end. It is likely that it received some abuse during the period before I owned it. About 300 miles after my top end work, the timing chain slipped. When I tore it down I discovered what looks to be damage to the timing chain that was caused by an extremely loose oil chain which looks to have jumped the sprocket and contacted the timing chain, damaging one of the timing chain links, causing it to slip out of time. Upon looking further it seems that the oil pump chain had been so loose for so long that it actually wore against the oil pump housing enough to wear completely through the housing. I cannot imagine what sort of abuse/wear could have occurred to cause the oil pump chain to stretch as far (and last as long) as it has. Is this a common thing? I can't seem to find much on the internet or in this forum on the matter.

Is there anything else in particular I need to look at before I start replacing damaged components and putting it back together?
I’m going through this same deal. Is there anyway you can tell me more ? lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!