P500 Stripped Oil Drain hole

BDI01

BDI01

Feb 24, 2015
I just completed the repair of my stripped oil drain hole in the motor casing. I wanted to post this in case it happens to anyone else. I purchased my P5 from a private owner with 102 miles on it. He said that he had not performed the first oil change yet. I realized later that the service indicator had been reset already, so I am not sure if he damaged the drain hole or it was the dealer or manufacturing. Regardless, when I did the oil change at 120 miles, the drain plug was stripped, I barely put any pressure on the plug and it would not tighten, when I removed the plug it was full of aluminum and I could see the threads in the hole were pretty much gone. I was actually sick at my stomach and could hardly sleep that night. The next day, I decided to repair it myself after reading and watching several repairs of quads with the same problem. I went to the auto parts store and purchased a package of plug washers and a 1/2-20 (fine thread) drain plug in the same length as the old 12mm plug . I borrowed a 1/2-20 tap from work. Luckily, 1/2-20 is a only slightly larger than 12mm so I did not have use a drill.
I started by hooking up a compressed air line to the oil fill hole of the motor. I made a make-shift plug using some tubing and electrical tape to hold it in. I opened the air line valve enough to keep positive pressure on the housing, but not wide open. Next, I coated the tap with axle grease, which captures most of the shavings created by tapping. I very slowly worked the tap, only going about 1/3 of way at a time, and each time I removed the tap, I cleaned it and re-coated with fresh axle grease. Between the grease and air pressure, most of the shavings were out side the motor. Once the new threads were cut, I poured the old oil through the motor to flush out any remaining shavings. I used a clean pan under the P5 and filtered the oil through a pair of my wife's old knee high stockings attached to the funnel. The first time through, there were about 10 shavings in the pan, second time 2 or 3 shavings and the third time I flushed it, the oil was clean.
I then put the new plug in with a copper washer that has a rubber insert built in it. The new plug snugged up to 18ft lbs and I re-filled with new Honda oil. Had I purchased my P5 new, I would have immediately took it back to the dealer. As it stands now. I will probably never remove the drain plug again, I will just use a pump to extract the oil. Has anyone changed the oil with a pump yet?
Be careful with the drain plug if you do your own oil changes, and pay attention to the required torque!!!! Someone obviously put my plug in using the "one more grunt should do it" method! Sorry for not having pictures of the procedure, I was too nervous to take any! :lol: :lol:

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
BDI01,
I commend you on a job well done and the details put into protection of shards. Though I know it was sad to find this, your detail and time taken to correctly fix it on your own just saved you lots of money and future problems from the dealer having to replacing the case.
You mentioned pumping the oil. Most likely, you want find anyone who has done that. Though this may work, I would still recommend draining via the plug. If you handle it yourself and properly you should not have any issues. But I also understand the other side of possibly repeating the issue. You just have to weight the options.
At your next oil change, which I recommend around the 250 mark, cut the filter open and let us know what you find.

Thanks for sharing and the details you provided. I can see this helping someone in the future.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I have used an oil extractor on a lot of different machine and eqpt. over the years but never on my P5. Generally speaking it works very well and gets out 90+% of the oil. Some Honda lawnmowers don't have drain plugs so you have to tip them over or use an extractor and I seem to get the same amount out using either method.

Squank

Squank

Jun 26, 2014
Ownership

1. 700-2
Oh, man... I'd have put words together that would make a Pirate cringe. Stripped engine parts are the worst. Good move.

Reactions: rtn001 and Mudder
BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
That's got to be a irritating situation to have been put into. Glad that it worked out. When ever those aw sh*t moments happen to me, I usually back off for a few hours, to a day to think things thru. The oil suction method does help, as it is the only way to remove the oil in certain application. My boat is a case in point, inboard out board, sitting in the slip on a HydroHoist. I have a device sold to me from the boat dealer, which consists on a 4 gallon bucket with a Japsco pump mounted on the lid. Pump has alligator clips to attach to the battery, works very well, I use it on my daughters Jetta TDI.

BDI01

BDI01

Feb 24, 2015
Hey guys, finally got to the first oil change since my stripped hole repair. I successfully drained the oil with a pump. I also cut open the filter open and found no shavings inside.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I know a guy who creates blueprints for houses.He can't understand righty tightly. He ruined the drain plug on 2 atvs and a couple cars. One time he couldn't get the plug out to change the oil so he took the filter off and revved it up to get the oil out. Didn't end well.:rolleyes:

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I seriously just went outside and loosened my oil plug a little and snugged it back up... I'm good... LOL

• Haha
Reactions: rtn001 and Morpheus
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I've been using a vacuum pump to drain small engines oil for 35 years. It's a great way to do it.

Reactions: rtn001
A

ayhanmecit

Jul 26, 2020
west hills, ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for your post. I just did the same thing and it worked perfectly. I used the same method I have used on all of my vehicle oil changes of tightening my drain plug snug plus a 1/4 turn like I always have on my trucks. I used a brass washer with rubber in the middle instead of the aluminum crush washer. I have no leaks as of yet, will look at it tomorrow and see what happens. It was a good excuse to buy a nice tap and die set;).

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Nice work and very informative for others! I changed the oil on mine after initial, dealers 1st change. The mechanic over tighted the cover bolt and sheared the nutserts. I ordered a new cover from RMATV and contacted the Dealer with Pics and Strong Concerns on thier QC areas! That's why I purchased there and Hopefully they instructed the Mechanics.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Over the years I've run into this on probably 1/4 of the used cars I've bought over the years. Don't think I've fixed two of them the same way.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I can visualize that feeling, under a "used unit with 120" doing a simple oil change and get that feeling in your hand of a stripped bolt and imagine myself throwing up :) Great work and hopefully the worst is behind you!

Reactions: rtn001 and Mudwing
papermaker

papermaker

Jan 18, 2019
Lewiston, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
This is a simple fix for this issue.

Are you sure this fits? It says "

This part is not compatible with this 2018 Honda Pioneer 500 SXS500M2.

Reactions: rtn001 and Russ989

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!