P1000 subtranny without oil

D

DWP

Mar 21, 2021
Alachua, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a used 2021 p1000 with 20 hrs and 103 miles last friday. Seller told me intial service was done at dealership. The next day put 30 miles before notice a difference in noise with tranny. I checked tranny oil and it didn't read on stick. I added oil it took all of the recommended spec for the subtranny. I then checked all other oils in they were fine. Were to I go from here? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Your discovery is not the first time that's happened. I've heard it's a fairly common mistake. Someone performing the 100 mile service probably removed the engine oil and sub-transmission oil drain plugs and refilled only the engine oil.

A Honda service manager told me he's seen it several times. He said me the sub-transmission gears are straight cut gears and pretty rugged. He claimed he's seen a Pioneer driven 100 miles without lube oil in the sub-transmission then refilled with oil and and everything was okay.

Try refilling the sub-transmission with clean oil, drive it a mile or two using high and low range, 2 and 4wd,, then drain it again, replace the filter, and refill with fresh oil. You may get lucky and find that no damage was done.

Worst case - it can be rebuilt with new gears and bearings. It will probably cost around $2,000 for parts and labor.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Try refilling the sub-transmission with clean oil, drive it a mile or two using high and low range, 2 and 4wd,, then drain it again, replace the filter, and refill with fresh oil. You may get lucky and find that no damage was done.
I think you nailed it on what probably happened, 😥 but I don't think there's a filter in the sub trans.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I think you nailed it on what probably happened, 😥 but I don't think there's a filter in the sub trans.
Thanks. I stand corrected. So the filters are for the engine and for the main transmission?

Reactions: Tundra20 and Lady01
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks. I stand corrected. So the filters are for the engine and for the main transmission?
Yes, the engine oil filter is on top and the smaller DCT filter is directly under it. Even though there are two filters, the engine and transmission share the same oil.

This is a Talon but the engines are nearly the same (visually).

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
In ran my Pioneer 350 miles without subtrans oil!!! Added oil and change it 3 times after 2 miles or so on each refill. No more debris in oil. That was 1000 miles ago.HONDA TOUGH!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!