P1000 SuperATV power steering

O

ob1jeeper

Dec 20, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't had the first issue out of the P1K power steering system except for low voltage problems during to loose battery connections.

What problems are you having?

Year?
Miles?

It is a 2016 P-1000-5 with approximately 10K miles. It has had all recall items done by the dealer.

I've added the Honda glass w/shield, mirrors, and the soft upper's to the doors as well as the soft mid-cab back curtain.

With the exception of a home-fabricated tire rack for the back & a winch, it is essentially bone stock, including tires and suspension.

I've been experiencing intermittent EPS operation for most of it's life. Start it and run around a bit and it's fine. The next startup it either functions, or it won't. Previously, it seemed to be tied to loose battery connections. The past 3 years or so, that doesn't appear to be the case. There is now NO rhyme nor reason when it will and when it will not function. After farting with it SO much the past 3 years, I'm just done with it.

Some background info just the same...

- ALL EPS wiring connections are clean and tight

- ALL grounds have been removed, wire brushed, and re-installed with dielectric on the mating surfaces to help preclude corrosion issues.

- ALL battery cable connections are tight. I got tired of the std size battery's inability to retain tight connections to the posts, causing both wanky transmission function as well as EPS issues caused by the loosened cables.

- The loose connections allowed voltage dropping to around mid-10's during cranking. Figuring that might have been at least one of, if not THE issue, a little over a year ago, I replaced the stock size battery with a larger physical size & capacity AGM battery (identical to the one in my 1500 Goldwing). Since that install NONE of the battery cable loosening issues that I had with the std. batt have recurred, and the =frequency of the EPS interaction has come down a tiny bit, but it is still a royal PITA,,,.

- Currently, the Battery voltage remains well above 12, and I have not seen it dropping below 12.3-4 during cranking, since the install of this larger battery. Before with the original size battery, it would drop into the 11.8-9 range during cranking, which BTW did not appear to alter the intermittent nature of the EPS operation.

I appreciate any thoughts or feedback relative to finding out if anyone has ACTUAL experience to share with the Super ATV kit offered by Super ATV for the P-1000.

I don't spend much time online, but will be checking for helpful responses as my schedule permits.

H

HondaTech

First off you don't want dielectric grease on the mating surface of the grounds.

It's Dielectric meaning it doesn't conduct electricity.

Are you getting any codes or lights on the display when the PS doesn't work?

Is the machine modified? Tire size?

I've honestly never had any issues with the system other than loose connections. Something must be up.

O

ob1jeeper

Dec 20, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put 2 of the super atv kits in p-1000 non-PS machines and both kits worked fine as advertised

Btw - outstanding detail
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated hearing real world experiences with these products... Do you know if the install instructions have any references to minimum voltage or amperage to keep the system functioning properly?

TIA,
Steve

PS: I'm looking to buy two kits. One for this P1000-5, and one for my 4-seat sand rail, which is getting harder for my old arms to handle while following some of the kids who seem to think Duning is just short of cutting donuts all day... LOL...

Last edited:
O

ob1jeeper

Dec 20, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First off you don't want dielectric grease on the mating surface of the grounds.

It's Dielectric meaning it doesn't conduct electricity.

Are you getting any codes or lights on the display when the PS doesn't work?

Is the machine modified? Tire size?

I've honestly never had any issues with the system other than loose connections. Something must be up.
You and I will have to simply agree to disagree regarding the use of dielectric connector grease on electrical connections.

The only light is the yellow steering wheel lamp.

As to modified or not, it's exactly as stated above - BONE STOCK relative to suspension & tire size.

I am well aware that many have NEVER experienced ANY issues with theirs, but that is simply NOT the case with this unit. I only provided the requested information to hopefully stop the replies telling me that it should not be doing this.

My main direction here is to hear real world experience with the Super UTV kit, (or hear about other systems if they exist), as I have ZERO intention of continuing to chase this current system.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated hearing real world experiences with these products... Do you know if the install instructions have any references to minimum voltage or amperage to keep the system functioning properly?

TIA,
Steve

PA: I'm looking to buy two kits. One for this P1000-5, and one for my 4-seat sand rail, which is getting harder for my old arms to handle while following some of the kids who seem to think Duning is just short of cutting donuts all day... LOL...
They need a minimum of 12.8v. If you drop below 12.8, the motor shuts off, but you can still steer. Its kind of a safety mechanism designed in there so if your batter is dying, it won't continue drawing from it to save it.

BTW...you'll love it. Way better than stock.

O

ob1jeeper

Dec 20, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So what codes are being thrown when the system doesn't work?
Just tried reading codes again (I last read codes a few months ago, and it then indicated poor grounding likely, but I found nothing wrong). This time there are no codes showing. The only flashing lamps were the seatbelt lamp flashing for about 5-6 seconds before going off followed by the "honda" id in the ODOM area flashing...

Note: I do not have the service jumper referenced in the OEM service manual, but have always followed the instructions to jump the brown/red & green wires per service manual instructions. NO codes shown this time.

After removing the jumper and putting the seat back down, it now fails fails to start. Cranks like crazy, and sounds as if it's trying to start, but no-go.... :(

Last edited:
O

ob1jeeper

Dec 20, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They need a minimum of 12.8v. If you drop below 12.8, the motor shuts off, but you can still steer. Its kind of a safety mechanism designed in there so if your batter is dying, it won't continue drawing from it to save it.

BTW...you'll love it. Way better than stock.
Thanks for that info. Can you explain what design/development improvements over the OEM Honda system it has to cover for events such as a momentary blip in supplied voltage? I have no proof, but it sure seems to me that the Honda's ECU is not programmed to accept ANY fluctuations in supply voltage, or minimally is FAR too sensitive to them. JMHO YMMV.

O

ob1jeeper

Dec 20, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Installed one on a 2012 Teryx4, easy install and no issues, all the right steering rod adapters came with the kit
Thanks for sharing your experience. This sort of feedback is exactly what I need to make an informed decision. Thanks again...

O

ob1jeeper

Dec 20, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just tried reading codes again (I last read codes a few months ago, and it then indicated poor grounding likely, but I found nothing wrong). This time there are no codes showing. The only flashing lamps were the seatbelt lamp flashing for about 5-6 seconds before going off followed by the "honda" id in the ODOM area flashing...

Note: I do not have the service jumper referenced in the OEM service manual, but have always followed the instructions to jump the brown/red & green wires per service manual instructions. NO codes shown this time.

After removing the jumper and putting their seat back down, it now fails fails to start. Cranks like crazy, and sounds as if it's trying to start, but no-go.... :(
Update. After reading over the service manual on this topic, then mulling it over during dinner, I checked all the fuses and discovered that the 10A Fuel Injection. fuse had failed. Starts and runs fine now. :cool:

NOW I can return focus to the lack of PS... Hoping to find more users to share their experiences with the Super UTV systems (or any others you may have experience with), to help boost my confidence in switching it out. ;)

O

ob1jeeper

Dec 20, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update. After reading over the service manual on this topic, then mulling it over during dinner, I checked all the fuses and discovered that the 10A Fuel Injection. fuse had failed. Starts and runs fine now. :cool:

NOW I can return focus to the lack of PS... Hoping to find more users to share their experiences with the Super UTV systems (or any others you may have experience with), to help boost my confidence in switching it out. ;)
Update #2:

Decided to try the install of the SATV "for P1000 - with EPS" kit. Just placed the order through the club store. Fingers crossed that this will return it to acceptable steering effort levels. Will post results when I get it done.

Thanks to those who replied and helped push me along to this decision... ;)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!