Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wish.. Still waiting on my bumper to come in.. I ordered one of these. Didn't feel like mounting the winch twice.

View attachment 27550
Nice that bumper looks good. My winch will be here tomorrow but I have not ordered a mounting plate yet - decisions decisions

Reactions: JTW
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
I wish.. Still waiting on my bumper to come in.. I ordered one of these. Didn't feel like mounting the winch twice.

View attachment 27550

Although it's a pita, I would recommend running the ground cable back to the engine. That's what Honda does for their accessory winch.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Why not the battery?
I guess I can't answer that, but there's gotta be a reason Honda doesn't go direct to battery, either positive or ground. I'm pretty sure it's not because they have alot of extra ground cable they are trying to get rid of :D

Reactions: lee and JTW
J

JTW

I guess I can't answer that, but there's gotta be a reason Honda doesn't go direct to battery, either positive or ground. I'm pretty sure it's not because they have alot of extra ground cable they are trying to get rid of :D
Lol..

J

JTW

@JTW how do you like the EMP mount? Any concerns about it mounting on the bumper? I know it has the U bolts that connect it to the frame. Seems like a straight forward install minus the wiring.
Ok.. so I just finished.. its kind of a pain in the ass!! I do like the line angle but it's not the most convenient to get to the bolts to tighten. That's where I found the most issue... and thankfully I was informed the mounting plate needs to be rotated 180 degrees.. if you watch the EMP install video online that exactly the opposite of how is should instal! I meant to take pics but forgot!

Reactions: Ragnar406
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok.. so I just finished.. its kind of a pain in the ass!! I do like the line angle but it's not the most convenient to get to the bolts to tighten. That's where I found the most issue... and thankfully I was informed the mounting plate needs to be rotated 180 degrees.. if you watch the EMP install video online that exactly the opposite of how is should instal! I meant to take pics but forgot!

Thanks for the info. With the EMP plate you mount the winch upside down correct? I believe the instructions say not to do that. Appreaciate the info, my winch was delivered today and I need to make a decision on which plate To go with - it is going to drop in temps here next week making it perfect timing to install and not be temped too bad to go ride.

J

JTW

Thanks for the info. With the EMP plate you mount the winch upside down correct? I believe the instructions say not to do that. Appreaciate the info, my winch was delivered today and I need to make a decision on which plate To go with - it is going to drop in temps here next week making it perfect timing to install and not be temped too bad to go ride.
Yes it's upsides down.. it should make zero difference if the actual winch is upsides down. I can't imagine why it says that other than to insure someone doesn't wind the cable over instead of under the spool.

J

JTW

Just FYI... I checked out superwinches mount for the pioneer.. guess how it's mounted! ;)

IMG 1512 IMG 1513

advertisement
J

JTW

Ps.. after doing a lot of looking.. Even though it's a pain in the ass.. I think I'd go with the EMP style mount again. I think it will offer the most rigidity in a winch plate... I'd much prefer a bumper with the winch on top but this will do for now.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes it's upsides down.. it should make zero difference if the actual winch is upsides down. I can't imagine why it says that other than to insure someone doesn't wind the cable over instead of under the spool.

Thank is funny and a good find. I am going to order the EMP mount today.

J

JTW

Thank is funny and a good find. I am going to order the EMP mount today.
Just remember.. the plate is rotated 180 degrees from the video and use the holes furtherst forward away from the machine when mounting the winch. Keep the bolts loose and then just start the ubolts.. to tighten the carriage bolts you can pull down on the bumper and access the nuts.. its tight but you can get to them. Once they're tight, insert the bumper mounting bolts get that all secured and then tighten your ubolts. Oh and feed your cable thru the hole and mount your fairlead while you have the bumper pulled down.. I put the very bottom bolts in the bumper and used them as a pivot piont when I pulled the bumper down. This should make it easier for you than taking it on and off like I did figuring out holes and how to best mount it!

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just remember.. the plate is rotated 180 degrees from the video and use the holes furtherst forward away from the machine when mounting the winch. Keep the bolts loose and then just start the ubolts.. to tighten the carriage bolts you can pull down on the bumper and access the nuts.. its tight but you can get to them. Once they're tight, insert the bumper mounting bolts get that all secured and then tighten your ubolts. Oh and feed your cable thru the hole and mount your fairlead while you have the bumper pulled down.. I put the very bottom bolts in the bumper and used them as a pivot piont when I pulled the bumper down. This should make it easier for you than taking it on and off like I did figuring out holes and how to best mount it!

Thanks for the hints, I am sure I will have a few do it again moments lol. Did you just order direct? I have not see the mount for sale anywhere else.
I am still not 100% sure which plate is 180 off but knowing that one is I will keep very aware

Reactions: Corona1
J

JTW

Thanks for the hints, I am sure I will have a few do it again moments lol. Did you just order direct? I have not see the mount for sale anywhere else.
I am still not 100% sure which plate is 180 off but knowing that one is I will keep very aware
Yes.. and they offer a forum 10% discount. The the plate is the big one. There are only 3 pieces, 2 brackets that bolt to the plate and the plate. Just remember the long tail part of the plate points toward the machine. You can see it clearly on top in the pic.. that's the plate that gets rotated from how he has it.. the brackets just get flipped to point the other direction towards the frame. Those are what your u bolts go into.

IMG 1514

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes.. and they offer a forum 10% discount. The the plate is the big one. There are only 3 pieces, 2 brackets that bolt to the plate and the plate. Just remember the long tail part of the plate points toward the machine. You can see it clearly on top in the pic.. that's the plate that gets rotated from how he has it.. the brackets just get flipped to point the other direction towards the frame. Those are what your u bolts go into

Awesome! thanks for the tips and advice!

Reactions: Corona1 and JTW
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@JTW when you installed yours did you use the mount that the superwinch came with at all? My mount will be here Wed so I am trying to get a jump where I can

J

JTW

@JTW when you installed yours did you use the mount that the superwinch came with at all? My mount will be here Wed so I am trying to get a jump where I can
The mount? The winch doesn't come with a mount.. hence the need to order a mounting plate or bumper. Everything else needed will be in the box. Did you order synthetic or steel cable version?

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@JTW Rope model
The plate I am talking about is this one - which may not be called a mounting plate
Upload 2016 12 5 20 30 22

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!