P500 Superwinch Terra Solenoid Question

F

Foss

Sep 16, 2019
Vermont
Ownership

1. 500
So.... long, comedy-of-errors-story short, I dropped my solenoid from my superwinch terra 45 on my concrete garage floor while fabbing up my install. It looks fine but I shook it and something sounds a little loose inside. I didn’t shake it before, lol, so no idea if this is normal or not. Should I just order another one? It’ll be a bit of a pain to swap out once it’s in so I’m trying to figure out if I should be concerned or not. Thoughts??

Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
I just installed mine but didn’t remember any rattle in it. Can you hook everything up and test before you install it?

Reactions: Foss and bpike207
F

Foss

Sep 16, 2019
Vermont
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, that would be easier than finding out after the final install of everything. Thanks!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I agree... It shouldn't rattle inside.
IDK... If it sounds like rocks.. Ya. I wouldn't install it... lol.

Reactions: Foss
F

Foss

Sep 16, 2019
Vermont
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks guys. It sounds like one piece moving, and not a lot but it’s obvious. I’d thought about testing like bigtee suggested or if I can test with a multimeter somehow. Bottom line, even if it worked out, I don’t know that I’d have confidence in it now anyway. Do it right, do it once.

I think it’s time to order a new solenoid.

Reactions: Bigtee
bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Call the manufacturer and ask .

It shouldn’t break falling to the ground given the shock environment when mounted in a UTV.

Who knows- maybe they’ll send ya a new one for free if you’re nice on the call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Foss and Bigtee
F

Foss

Sep 16, 2019
Vermont
Ownership

1. 500
Hi Bill-

I had the same thought so called this morning. The person I spoke to said they’d recommend ordering one even as a spare, and they wouldn’t have any to even buy until September. He said if I can find one at a different retailer I should order there. I did not push too hard since it was my fault but I was hoping for a little more help. Summit racing had them in stock so I’ve got another on its way.

I also agree it should be able to withstand that drop, and it may be fine. But without knowing if it “rattles” normally, I don’t trust installing it. Worst case, I have a spare on the shelf lol.

appreciate the feedback guys, thank you

Reactions: Bigtee

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!