Suspension bottoming out too easy??

10spoke

Oct 8, 2013
I got question. I've read that the suspension on the pioneer isn't great. But today was my first real ride with it. We rode about 80miles and I must of bottomed out at least 20-30 times. And most of it was happened on small dips or bumps nothing major. I couldn't even go faster cus I was so worried about bottoming out. I was pretty disappointed with the suspension. Is this really normal?

Now the question is what are my options? I see Walker Evans makes shocks now but those are overly priced. Is there anyway that maybe takeoffs from a rzr s or commander maybe fit? Just trying to figure a way.

C

chuck

Dec 14, 2013
I'm waiting for elka to have their kit ready and will be putting on a stage 4. Nohing less.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think long travel might be te only solution there is not a lot you can do to maintain a good ride AND prevent it from bottoming out. It's a heavy utility leaning machine.

RacerX400600

RacerX400600

Jun 22, 2013
If you are having the issue in the rear you can always turn up the preload but I assume you have probably already tried that.

10spoke

Oct 8, 2013
It was the front bottoming out and it was just me and the wife. I was very disappointed yesterday. Not being able to go a little faster because of little dips or bumps that will bottom out the shocks is very disappointing and we were only Goin 30mph or less.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
10spoke said:
It was the front bottoming out and it was just me and the wife. I was very disappointed yesterday. Not being able to go a little faster because of little dips or bumps that will bottom out the shocks is very disappointing and we were only Goin 30mph or less.

You must be driving the balls off of it. I can't say I've really noticed an issue, but I don't really drive mine like a sport utv either. I've had no issues hauling excessive loads in rough terrain, I've been surprised at how well it handles with weight actually.

10spoke

Oct 8, 2013
I fell like I was going slow. All my buddies were leaving in the dust and they all had utility sxs no sport sxs on this ride. Maybe I ride faster coming from sport quads. Idk all I know is the suspension is not up to par with its competitors.

S

Shane

Jan 1, 2014
We took ours out yesterday with another sxs . It was close enough to be broke in. I was haulin a through a pasture trail pond dam trail was mowed large old tractor dry sippy hole .. Had no time to slow down when we came out of it. It bottomed out bad but was still straight it took care of us .

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
I noticed that my Pioneer p-4 will bottom out the fronts (easily) when riding with passengers. Coming from a sport SxS, I can tell you it too bottomed out. The big difference is I could easily adjust the high performance shocks to reduce (not eliminate) the hard bottom outs, however, the ride became more stiff. I do agree the Honda Pioneer stock suspension is a bit on the soft side for rough trails at medium speeds. Can't wait for the aftermarket to fully kick in on the Pioneer and give us owners a few more suspension options - like all the other SxS's have.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
road mine hard this week end. only bottomed once and that was a o s*** moment. wife driving large ditch hard on brakes.
I did install a 3/4 " front spring spacer. also loose the rear sway bar you will be shocked how well it rides. tried it both ways this week end I will never install it again.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!