P500 Suspension pre-load preferences...

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Hey guys, so I just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I've got 92 miles on our little P500 (3 weeks old) and I've been playing with the suspension and tire psi. I like a compliant/soft ride. I'm not new to powersports, and I know I'm the opposite of a lot of folks, but I just prefer a compliant ride. The 500 is not known for a soft ride, and I knew that going in, so I've paid close attention... Anyways, when we brought Rambo home from the dealer three weeks ago he was one bouncy little son-of-a-gun for the first day. Then I checked the tire pressure and the tires were all at 20+ psi! So I backed the tires off to 10psi, like the book says, which made an immediate and drastic improvement. Then one week ago I backed all of the pre-tension collars on the shocks at all four corners off to the lightest/softest setting. That made a very noticeable difference in ride quality. I have also noticed - just like I did with my 2016 Honda Rancher - that the tires seem to "break in" after some use and they become soft and compliant, and that's definitely how they feel now. So yesterday I took it out for our first real trail ride in the forest - we did a 20 mile loop through some rough stuff, including some cross-country crawling. The ride is vastly improved since new, and certainly livable now...so I thought the only thing remaining is to try removing the sway bar. I'll make that experiment another day. I'm heading to the sand dunes next week, so I'm keeping the sway bar for now. I know that dropping the pre-tension lessens ground clearance, but hasn't been an issue for me yet, and I'm assuming larger tires (of the soft variety, not 8-ply) could also improve ride quality. What pre-tension do you fellas all run, and why?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!