P700 Switch panel wiring question

Trademark

Trademark

Jun 18, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I bought an Amazon switch panel to install on my 700. Didn’t have the money right now to get a super nice custom one but the one I got seems fine. I bought the Honda accessory sub harness and plugged it in and wired it to the panel. So now the lights on the panel and the voltage meter come on when I turn on the key. The first thing I want to add is my light bar. I attached a picture of the wiring diagram that came with it, which also included a switch. My question is what from the light bar wiring goes where to the switch panel, and what parts from the light bar harness do I not need? Thanks in advance

74C9C8AD 8F75 4903 B3AA B5866ACBE226 5504029A 759C 4BDB B590 92969DA2F781 38E59777 5916 4AC8 906F 5C0EBA84CC62

Reactions: Leyendatat2BZ
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The small switch wires are like this.
Red - constant hot supply.
White - relay control
Black - ground.

Option 1 - Do you want the light to work when key off? If Yes then.
Red is your supply. White output.
Cut black off since you already have a ground wire.

Option 2 -
If you want it to only work with key on then.
Cut the black off.
Cut the red off and tape it up or shrink tube the end.
Next.
White wire is the output.
Jump the key on wires you already hooked up to the input post. That will trigger the relay.

Ok. Good night.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing
Trademark

Trademark

Jun 18, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thank you. Option 2 is what I was going for and will try that this afternoon. My problem now is none of the lights from the switch panel come on nor the dash screen and it won’t crank. It tries, not like a battery issue even though I left it on a trickle charger all night. Maybe we touched a wire to something we shouldn’t have? I don’t know what would cause a brand new machine to not start like that

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Most likley blew a fuse. It will be easy to do as you continue to add wires to your panel.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KyleC

KyleC

Apr 21, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just an FYI. You should really power accessories, like a light bar (depending on length/wattage) directly from the battery. Use the sub-harness to power relays only. You can use the search function on this forum, or google, to find the wiring diagram right for your application. I'm not an expert, have just wired up a couple aux bat and fuse block assemblies for different machines. Those stock honda harness power only has, I believe, a 15amp or 20amp fuse. This should not be modified either, as you could possibly burn up your machine.

Reactions: Tundra20
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Just an FYI. You should really power accessories, like a light bar (depending on length/wattage) directly from the battery. Use the sub-harness to power relays only. You can use the search function on this forum, or google, to find the wiring diagram right for your application. I'm not an expert, have just wired up a couple aux bat and fuse block assemblies for different machines. Those stock honda harness power only has, I believe, a 15amp or 20amp fuse. This should not be modified either, as you could possibly burn up your machine.
Totally agree.
He is using a relay and while I did not ask I assumed he hooked the primary relay wires up to the battery or buss. Its the Red with the fuse and black wires.
@Trademark is that what you did?

A relay trigger source, what I discussed above for the white wire, plus a dozen switch backlights, a USB socket, and voltmeter would pull no more than 2 or 3 amps combined at max use. This can and has no problem pulling from the factory key-on power source.

Last edited:
Trademark

Trademark

Jun 18, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Totally agree.
He is using a relay and while I did not ask I assumed he hooked the primary relay wires up to the battery or buss. Its the Red with the fuse and black wires.
@Trademark is that what you did?

A relay trigger source, what I discussed above for the white wire, plus a dozen switch backlights, a USB socket, and voltmeter would pull no more than 2 or 3 amps combined at max use. This can and has no problem pulling from the factory key-on power source.

I haven’t hooked anything up yet other than the key on harness to the switch panel but I will definitely run it the way you guys have suggested
Edit: I got started trying to figure out where things went but then quit when I realized I was in over my head for the moment

Trademark

Trademark

Jun 18, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thank you @Hondasxs and @KyleC for the help. We got it all wired up and working like it should.
Anyone have any idea if they make switch blanks for the round holes? I had to remove the 12v and usb inserts to make the panel fit in the dash and would like to cover those with something. I’ve searched the internet far and wide and can’t find any.

7684F010 17CC 4281 8838 7C341181B00E E09F35FC 2F9C 4695 A0DF 33D814859118

junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
Looks like cigarette lighter socket size. I would measure the hole and go to your local hardware store and buy rubber plugs.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!