P700 Viper V2 4500 winch wiring

P

Panhandlepilgrim

Mar 22, 2021
Coeur d'Alene, ID
Ownership

1. 700-4
The instructions for this winch are hot garbage. Granted. The title of this thread tells you everything I know about wiring anything but man, these are terrible. It already looks like I'll have to buy a new switch to mount to the dash, as the one it came with has a bracket to mount to a handle bar. ANYWAYS, rant over.

Questions:
1. Where should I mount this thing? The power wires it came with are short and all the YouTube videos I could find suggest mounting it under the hood and I can't seem to find any good places under the seat, close to the battery like the "instructions" suggest.

2. Without having to buy the $20 pigtail and wait another week, where can I tap in to key-on power?

infyx

infyx

Jan 26, 2023
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
I just picked up the 6k. Not here yet.
I also bought the pigtail to tap into the 12v key on power source up front though to make this much easier.

Reactions: Buggyman
Buckshot07

Buckshot07

Dec 31, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yeah the more I look at the rest of the wires they supplied thats going to make the most sense. Headed to the hardware store to get longer power cables.
I happened to have a long length of heavy power cable in my garage that I used.
If you have a hard time finding some, just pick up a cheap heavy set of jumper cables from Harbor Freight, cut it to the length you need.

I protected them with wire loom and routed them along the top of the frame from the battery into the front passenger side wheel well, then under the hood.

infyx

infyx

Jan 26, 2023
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
So you are saying they did not supply long enough power cables to go back to the battery if you mount it under the hood? That kind of sucks. I have some 6ga AWG on the way, so I should be okay when it comes in. But would think they would supply long enough cables.

Guess I will have to dicker with it when it comes in!

Buckshot07

Buckshot07

Dec 31, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
So you are saying they did not supply long enough power cables to go back to the battery if you mount it under the hood? That kind of sucks. I have some 6ga AWG on the way, so I should be okay when it comes in. But would think they would supply long enough cables.

Guess I will have to dicker with it when it comes in!
I’m OCD when it comes to wiring and wanted to route the wires on my 700 where they would be protected.
The 700’s battery is under the passenger seat, not under the hood.
I also wired up a friend’s Yamaha that had the battery under the hood.
You are receiving a universal wiring kit with the winch which may or may not contain wires long enough for your make/model’s battery location.

infyx

infyx

Jan 26, 2023
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Got it. I would like to wire mine up all nice as well.
I assume the 700-4 does not have an ACC powerbus anywhere?

But seems like you could route one under the hood for better battery access.

Buckshot07

Buckshot07

Dec 31, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Got it. I would like to wire mine up all nice as well.
I assume the 700-4 does not have an ACC powerbus anywhere?

But seems like you could route one under the hood for better battery access.
I mounted a fuse panel under the hood that receives battery power through a key on activated stinger for all my accessories.
refer back to the picture in post #4

infyx

infyx

Jan 26, 2023
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Very clean install.
Where did you get that bracket? I have a lot of that stuff on the way...fuse box, etc. I'd like to mount it all under the hood but was not sure how to get it all under there with what is provided.

infyx

infyx

Jan 26, 2023
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Buckshot07

Buckshot07

Dec 31, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Very clean install.
Where did you get that bracket? I have a lot of that stuff on the way...fuse box, etc. I'd like to mount it all under the hood but was not sure how to get it all under there with what is provided.
The bracket was cut out of an aluminum shelf I pulled out of the scrap bin at work.
bolted to the rectangular cross member behind the radiator. I added a strip of rubber on top of the crossmember first as an isolator to prevent vibration. Back of the bracket is attached to the round crossmember under the dash. I made 2 slots in the bracket and attached it with hose clamps again isolated with rubber.

Buckshot07

Buckshot07

Dec 31, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Buckshot07

Buckshot07

Dec 31, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thank you for getting back to me!
No problem.
Found a picture of the “bracket”.
Also a picture of the wiring mock up.
…. I just pulled power for my accessory fuse box off the heavy cable already running to the winch contactor from the battery. Ran accessory power through a circuit breaker first.

89FDB475 88DE 4503 BA0B CE617F9F8233
3A3A0AF9 65B2 49ED 8C65 05D5DCA9393A

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!