P1000 Switch Plate Install Tip

G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Installed the switch plate today that I got from Mystic. (Very happy with the plate. A quality piece that fits perfectly.)

What worked best for me to do the cutouts:

- Drill out the rivets of the 'safety warnings' plaque, and remove.
- Install the switch plate with a couple screws to hold it in position.
- Mark your cutouts with an Xacto knife or a Stanley knife - make sure you have a sharp blade, so you get precise markings
- Remove the plate
- Cut out the switch holes. I tried several methods on the first cutout, based on YouTube videos, etc., including a jigsaw. The plastic dash is a bit too thick to cut easily with a Stanley knife. Finally settled on my low-end Dremel tool, which had an accessory that looks like a tiny little circular saw blade. Man, that worked a treat! Just cut the tops and sides, and then finish off the corners with your Stanley knife. Easy, clean cuts, nice square holes. Edges easily cleaned up with a file or Stanley knife.
- For my round gauge holes, I drilled them undersize with a spade bit, then trimmed them to fit with a burr accessory in the Dremel. Again, nice, clean job, perfect fit.
- Install the plate with 6 screws. (I used stainless self-tappers. Worked great, no rust down the road.)

Hope this helps someone else tackling this easy retrofit!

G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Curious.. why did you cut them out individually vs cutting out the entire hole minus 1/4” around the edge?
I wanted the additional strength and rigidity that the factory panel provides.

Reactions: BWAF

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!