P1000 Switched power and Dash Light power

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have two questions I need answered as the Electrical post got way to long.
1. Color of wire to tap for switched power and location(prefer power port wire)
2. Color of wire to tap for Dash light power and location.
Pictures would be best but please lets keep this short and to the point.
Scott

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Reactions: ofrcboy
H

HondaTech

Got to be careful plugging into anything related to dash/display. Honda has made these newer units share alot of stuff through certain wires related to controlling these displays.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got to be careful plugging into anything related to dash/display. Honda has made these newer units share alot of stuff through certain wires related to controlling these displays.
Good to know. That link jackal shared shows a connection to a brown wire that goes to the tail lights (I think). This is what I was planning to do. Is there a recommended place that yall use at your shop (for lights on power to switch backlights)?

H

HondaTech

If we're looking for key on power, the white/black out of the bottom of the fuse box is our go to. That's the wire Honda uses for their auxiliary switch panel power. I don't like using any light wires because of there tendency to back feed grounds and make lights do weird things. Blow bulbs, flicker, melt wires, etc.

Reactions: ofrcboy
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If we're looking for key on power, the white/black out of the bottom of the fuse box is our go to. That's the wire Honda uses for their auxiliary switch panel power. I don't like using any light wires because of there tendency to back feed grounds and make lights do weird things. Blow bulbs, flicker, melt wires, etc.
I'm looking for power only when the headlight switch is on.

H

HondaTech

Fore reversing, I guess? On the 700 there is a wire in the back of the motor that would work for reverse lights. I'll have to look at a 1000 to see if they have one.
We've set several 700's like this to come on when you put them in reverse. This wire acts as the ground for the system.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fore reversing, I guess? On the 700 there is a wire in the back of the motor that would work for reverse lights. I'll have to look at a 1000 to see if they have one.
We've set several 700's like this to come on when you put them in reverse. This wire acts as the ground for the system.
I'm struggling to get my point across... I already have power for all my accessories. what I'm looking for is a wire that's only hot when the factory light switch is turned on. I'll use this power to illuminate rocker switches themselves, so I can see them in the dark.

advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'm looking for power only when the headlight switch is on.

This wire here, only hot when light switch is turned on:

Light on Power

Reactions: DocJoe
H

HondaTech

My bad, I mis understood you. So you don't want them lit unless the headlights are on. Most rocker switches we mess with are only illuminated in the on position. But I'm guessing yours are lit all the time or have the ability to be. I guess if it's just a small power load such as that it couldn't hurt to use the wire out of the fuse box for the headlights. Just use a test light to see which one is on all the time and which one is powered only when the switch is on.
Probably use some kind of distribution block so only one wire is connected to the actual wire under the fuse block.

Reactions: PioneerPete
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My bad, I mis understood you. So you don't want them lit unless the headlights are on. Most rocker switches we mess with are only illuminated in the on position. But I'm guessing yours are lit all the time or have the ability to be. I guess if it's just a small power load such as that it couldn't hurt to use the wire out of the fuse box for the headlights. Just use a test light to see which one is on all the time and which one is powered only when the switch is on.
Probably use some kind of distribution block so only one wire is connected to the actual wire under the fuse block.
Thanks for staying with me!lol I had seen the pic that hackal shared but wanted to see if you had ever used something else since you work on hondas. Thanks again for your replies.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks for staying with me!lol I had seen the pic that hackal shared but wanted to see if you had ever used something else since you work on hondas. Thanks again for your replies.
I dunno who that hackal character is but I've been working on Hondas for 40 years I might know a thing or two. But be my guest to experiment if the suggested method in the photo taken right out of Hondas own accessory instructions isn't good enough for you.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@PioneerPete,
What is your requirements concerning this?

Has your service manual arrived yet? Chapter 25 has all your answers.
Looking at it. Seems the brown wire may be the only option. It can be tapped from several locations.
Using the front headlight wires will only give you power when in Hi beam or power in Low beam. Not both!

Outside of that, I spoke about automating it in another post by hacking one of these Ambient Light Sensors --> Amazon.com: Ambient Light Sensor: Automotive.
Never done it though.

H

HondaTech

No problem, we've never really had the request to wire something up in this manner. Most wiring jobs we do are for speakers or l.e.d bike lights. Though with Honda finally getting in the sxs game, we've done a good bit in the last year or so. I'm a real picky guy when it comes to wiring stuff, i'll spend more time planning routing and placement then I do actually soldering and making connections. A lot of people @ work hate wiring jobs, but I love em. Get to be creative and make everything look like you wanted, instead of following someone else's instructions.

That wire that Jackal listed is good place to go as well. I always try to tap into a wire opposite the main harness side, so if something arises you can replace the component to get new wiring. So the main harness isn't damaged, I know sometimes this isn't possible.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I dunno who that hackal character is but I've been working on Hondas for 40 years I might know a thing or two. But be my guest to experiment if the suggested method in the photo taken right out of Hondas own accessory instructions isn't good enough for you.
Well, I'm glad you asked...o_O
my thinking was "gee this hondatech guy seems to have some experience wiring for Honda... maybe I'll see if he has a different suggestion". It's probably a habit developed from working in nuclear power for too long. I frequently find myself seeking input from the various "experts" before I decide on the appropriate governance for our fleet. Did not intend to imply that you didn't know what you were talking about, and didn't realize that photo was from Honda's very own accessory instruction book! There... feel better now?lol
p.s. sorry about the "hackal"... that's what happens when I use my little tiny phone keyboard!

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@PioneerPete,

Looking at it. Seems the brown wire may be the only option. It can be tapped from several locations.
Using the front headlight wires will only give you power when in Hi beam or power in Low beam. Not both!

Outside of that, I spoke about automating it in another post by hacking one of these Ambient Light Sensors --> Amazon.com: Ambient Light Sensor: Automotive.
Never done it though.
I think this issue is resolved for me. But to answer your question, I was looking for a power source that will light up my switch rockers when its dark outside (so when I have the factory lights turned on). I had seen your previous thread with the photo, but since hondatech seemed knowledgeable, I thought I'd pick his brain to see if he had employed a different method. Sounds pretty unanimous... the brown wire it is!lol
Thanks for the heads up on Chapter 25. I have spent some time with the manual, but haven't seen that part yet. I will check it out.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ch 25 is the wire diagram. Its a little congested. But follow the lighting/dimmer/switch on the left.

Diagram is good for finding wire colors, what it controls, and where it goes.
Solid Green is always ground.
Hot can be a variety of colors and usually a red or red/mix, but not always!
Text light EVERYTHING before cutting anything!
Thanks.

D

DocJoe

Jul 15, 2020
Great Falls, MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@PioneerPete,

Never done it though.
Where is a convenient location/s to tap the brown wire from?
BTW, the pic doesn’t show any brown wires. I guess the brown one is hidden in the back of the cluster of wires shown by the arrow

advertisement