P1000 Talk me into a 1000-3

T

thatguy2

Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Made the trip down to a dealer I have heard good things about an hour away (bypassing the one 6 min from my house cause they kinda suck anymore). They sell Kawasaki, Honda, Polaris, and some off brand chinese stuff. They did not have a 1000-3 or 1000-3 deluxe put together but we did sit 3 across on a 1000-5 on the bench and it was comfortable. Next we looked at Polaris Rangers 1000 with the dual overhead cam. They had a sale on the 1000s with the shc but he said the dual would be more like the Honda. Obviously the belt drive isn't ideal although he said in the last few years Polaris has "gotten their act together". They see very few come back. I do like that the are set up to take a cab better than a Honda, and I like their accessory board has a bus bar so all it would take is a switch and a little wiring. He said they are on a "stop sale" on Kawasakis and there was nothing he would recommend from them right now. If I wanted to buy one he said they could have a 1000-3 put together by the end of the day.

They also had a 2023 Ranger 1000 DHC with a full cab, heating and air, winch, turn signals, the works with 100 hours for $23,900. The guy that owned it used it to go from his lake house to the dock and buys a new one every year. Gotta admit it was pretty nice.

The showroom is so packed I could not drive any of them.

No deal was reached, but it was nice to have no pressure sales tactics, and somebody that sells many different brands to gain perspective. The salesman we talked to is also the president of the company. His personal buggy is a Polaris Rzr. He did say yesterday was nuts with people coming in to buy things to take them out htis weekend.

Reactions: Backwoods and ChadD
NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
In the past ten years I've owned a gator 825, Polaris ranger 1000xp, and Honda pioneer 1000. I use my machines strict for work on the farm and ranch. Drive them almost every day. I switched from gator to ranger because I wanted more performance when chasing cows. I still miss the bed and frame of the gator. Back in 2013 when I owned the gator few if anyone around here were concerned about heat or ac. In 2015 I upgraded to the ranger 1000 xp. It had an awesome soft cab with a great heater. Way more performance than the gator. I worked on it constantly for the way I was using it. I upgraded to my deluxe 22 1000-3 in June of 22. It is better than the Polaris in every way except the cab. I run soft doors, dfk windshield, and hard rear panel. I can't stand the cab but the reliability and real transmission more than make up for it. My farm has 5 Polaris 1000s. Dad needed to replace his this winter. He chose a base pioneer 1000-3 over a Polaris after being around mine. He doesn't believe in needing heat or ac. Just running a front windshield and roof. Bought aftermarket bump outs for the windshield and removed the doors. Everyone has different tastes but we have no problems with the factory shocks and the side panels aren't important for work. All I'm trying to say is the Honda is better in the areas of durability and performance. If you are looking for creature comforts and aren't expecting to abuse the machine Polaris is the clear winner. I have over 6,000 miles and the only breakdowns I've had were operator error. Tore a cv boot and stripped out a bolt removing my air box cover. Good luck on the search.

T

thatguy2

Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Im leaning hard towards a base model 1000-3 and using the savings from a deluxe model for a roof and windshield. I want to sleep on it for a couple days. Any flaws in my logic?

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Nice thing about the base model is you can add the things you want without wasting money on things you didn’t want with the deluxe. I.e. if you upgrade shocks, wheels, tires.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im leaning hard towards a base model 1000-3 and using the savings from a deluxe model for a roof and windshield. I want to sleep on it for a couple days. Any flaws in my logic?
Sounds logical to me

Reactions: TimG and ChadD
Mudwisel

Mudwisel

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
Only reason I got the deluxe is because I made a deal where it was cheaper than the base they didnt have. No way would I pay 1400 for those wheels and tires I wont use anyway

Reactions: TimG and ChadD
ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got a deluxe cause of power steering, body panels, and 14" wheels instead of 12". Mines a 2018.

Reactions: TimG
B

Big Papi

May 26, 2024
Katy, TX
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
If you are wanting the fastest SXS or one with the best suspension, the Hondas are not the way to go. If; however, you want unmatched reliability and durability, then the Hondas are your way to go.

I am the only one in my circle of friends that bought the Pioneer. Everyone else has Can-ams or Polaris products. They both have superior suspension that comes stock. Their gauges look more hi tech and they give the front row of passengers more room than the rear.

I went with a 1000-6 after having a Big Red for 12 years and no issues. I did replace the shocks with Rough Country offerings that I found on Amazon. They made a huge difference. I don't like plastic tops, so I went with a Ranch Armor roof. I love the Warn winches, so I got one when I purchased the machine.

As far as use, It spends most of its life driving around the ranch filling feeders for wildlife and as a beer cart. The Texas summer sucks without cold beer. We took it to Crystal Beach for the annual Jeep weekend and had plenty of fun there. I had 3-4 passengers at most times, and everyone was comfortable. This is opposed to the scars on my knees from being in the back seat of my buddies Ranger. The back seat on his should be allowed for maybe 10 year olds and younger.

One of my best friends(the guy with the Ranger 1000) had to race me and I surprisingly out ran him. The new machine is really in a new world compared to my Big Red.

The small amount of room under the hood for extra batteries, fuses, and isolators was a bit tricky, but all in all I really like the machine a lot.

Also, for the guys that say post pictures or it didn't happen, I'm old and don't know how to do that sort of thing.

advertisement
TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
If I had to choose between my new 2023 Talon RS FLV or my 2016 Pioneer 1000-3 the Talon would have to go. Hard to beat the cab room, the bed the turf mode and diff lock and versatility.

N

NH Rider

May 8, 2022
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
The pioneer is made stateside in South Carolina. I was surprised to find that the gator is made in Wisconsin. When I was looking at their tractors I found the deeres to be way over priced and made in India. I refused to pay 50% more for a name and a piece of equipment that did the same thing. They were already saving a s***load of money by outsourcing manufacturing and it should pass on to the consumer. I can't control the greed but I can control where I spend money.

My biggest beef with jd is their bs they pulled on repairs. Since 2016 when you buy a piece of jd equipment it had to be repaired or modified at the dealer. The purchase agreement expressly forbid the owner or private repair shop from working on jd equipment for a repair. They also locked it out with software that only jd can have and buy so farmers could not save money and work on their own stuff.

It was like renting your own equipment even though you bought it. JD fought to keep this for years in court. Jd has been super greedy and it is just disgusting. A lawsuit finally just gave the right to repair back to the owner and farmer.

I will never buy anything JD.

Okay rant over.

Last edited:
ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are wanting the fastest SXS or one with the best suspension, the Hondas are not the way to go. If; however, you want unmatched reliability and durability, then the Hondas are your way to go.

I am the only one in my circle of friends that bought the Pioneer. Everyone else has Can-ams or Polaris products. They both have superior suspension that comes stock. Their gauges look more hi tech and they give the front row of passengers more room than the rear.

I went with a 1000-6 after having a Big Red for 12 years and no issues. I did replace the shocks with Rough Country offerings that I found on Amazon. They made a huge difference. I don't like plastic tops, so I went with a Ranch Armor roof. I love the Warn winches, so I got one when I purchased the machine.

As far as use, It spends most of its life driving around the ranch filling feeders for wildlife and as a beer cart. The Texas summer sucks without cold beer. We took it to Crystal Beach for the annual Jeep weekend and had plenty of fun there. I had 3-4 passengers at most times, and everyone was comfortable. This is opposed to the scars on my knees from being in the back seat of my buddies Ranger. The back seat on his should be allowed for maybe 10 year olds and younger.

One of my best friends(the guy with the Ranger 1000) had to race me and I surprisingly out ran him. The new machine is really in a new world compared to my Big Red.

The small amount of room under the hood for extra batteries, fuses, and isolators was a bit tricky, but all in all I really like the machine a lot.

Also, for the guys that say post pictures or it didn't happen, I'm old and don't know how to do that sort of thing.

Well, I guess it didn't happen then 🙄🤦‍♂️🤣🤣🤣

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Screenshot 20240527 085417 DuckDuckGo

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!