P1000 Talk me into a 1000-3

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I currently have a 2015 700-4. I've got 820 hours on it. 3300 miles. Looking to go to a newer model for use around the 35 acres and give mine to my brother so they can use it. I was leaning heavily at a used John Deere 835r since it has a cab and air conditioning (that would be nice when its 110 degrees outside and you are spraying sericea lespedeza) but man they are expensive even used. Another Pioneer is high on the list, and they have a 1000-3 and 1000-3 deluxe. I don't want another with flip up seats in the bed to collect dirt, tree bark, etc. Other option is to do nothing and keep rolling with my current SxS and I am a cheap skate. Anything you don't like about the 1000 series?
Tough call. I guess a lot depends on how much you think you need the AC. I though about it myself but decided that when I'm working on the farm that I'm mostly in and out of the rig so much that it wouldn't make much difference. It would be different if you where on a long trip but usually your moving a short distance and getting out and doing something so your gonna be all hot and sweaty anyway.
The JD are tough. I've own two. The last one had 8500 miles on it and that's when it got it's first belt, and I pulled a trailer full of firewood up hills coming out of the woods most of it's life. The Chery engine is made by a Chinese car company so the engine is long lasting. I've seen them with over 40,000 miles and still going.
Now as far as price, the JD is to high but they have the best cab on the market. The Honda, not a great cab but you can add heat and a flip up windshield. With the flip up windshield you can stand the heat a little better. There is no way I'd do without the flip up windshield. You could close the flip up windshield in my old Gator and it would cook you in the closed position. They are a must.
I went with the Honda this time around. I've own Honda before and I know they're good machines and the one thing that I wanted to try was the transmission. I like the transmission and the 4 wheel drive is TOPs. It also rides and handles a little better than the JD but the fuel mileage isn't much difference. Summing it up, they're both good machines. Kinda like the Ford, Dodge, Chevy thing. Good and bad in all. So all you can do is pick your poison.

T

thatguy2

Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
20240530 154758

advertisement
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
In due time. It was pouring and without doors I don't feel like getting wet.

Looking at winches right now. Saw @SuperATV had a kit all made up but it says it doesn't fit my machine.

Start at the club store. They have some fantastic plug and play stuff. I highly recommend the high beam trigger and reverse/work light setups. I’m running a badlands 5 k winch with a warn plate. It’s not the fastest winch but I use mine more for work than recovery.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
In due time. It was pouring and without doors I don't feel like getting wet.

Looking at winches right now. Saw @SuperATV had a kit all made up but it says it doesn't fit my machine.
Hi - lean on this group for solutions/parts/etc. Be carefull with oversized winches - rule of thumb from warn is 1.5 x machine weight. Go to heavy and the front starts to squat affecting geometry for an accessory that may be used sparingly. Winching is all about basic rigging, finding out a snatch block is your best friend, etc….

Also, avoid wireless winches unless you connect it up that the wireless transmitter has a hard power cutoff when machine is off - otherwise it WILL drain your battery.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
T

thatguy2

Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Put 35 miles on it yesterday.
Pros- Lots more power, cooler on the legs, turf mode, power steering is awesome. Better accessories.

Cons- Dust in the cab (I thought it would be better with front and rear glass and I think I may have been wrong), seatbelt limiter (could make it interesting during burn season, I am getting a extra buckle for spraying and burning season).

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Put 35 miles on it yesterday.
Pros- Lots more power, cooler on the legs, turf mode, power steering is awesome. Better accessories.

Cons- Dust in the cab (I thought it would be better with front and rear glass and I think I may have been wrong), seatbelt limiter (could make it interesting during burn season, I am getting a extra buckle for spraying and burning season).
Just get a seat belt bypass plug from the club store, it plugs in under the seat and fixed forever.

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
advertisement