Talon 1000R Shock Therapy Shocks for sale

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'd really rather not ship these and prefer/hoping for a local sale in the greater Phoenix area.

$1600
Full set of stock Talon 1000R (non live valve) shocks with Shock Therapy's dual rate spring kit and their RIS (ride improvement system) re-valving. These shocks are set up for faster trail riding and for a machine that had anywhere from 150-300lbs of accessories.

Bolt on to quickly upgrade your stock suspension or if your riding consists of multiple terrains (dunes/trails/crawling) you can have another set of shocks set up differently between your preferences.

The shocks have around 3k miles on them and perform great. They've got typical scratches and wear on the crossover rings/shock body but everything is functional. One thing to note is one of the locating tabs for the rock guard broke off so it will move when adjusting the spring preload. See pics for details.

IMG 20210619 234444029 XL

Crossover ring/shock body wear on the worst of the 2 rear shocks. The other rear isn't so bad and it hasn't happened to the front shocks.

IMG 20211221 175335771 X3

The good clocking/locating tab for reference, keeps the rock shield in position when adjusting spring preload.

IMG 20211221 175516972 X3

The broken tab as compared to above. It doesn't affect the performance of the shock, you just have to manually position the shield after spring adjustments.

IMG 20211221 175403837 X3

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thats a great setup, why are you selling?

When I added the DRF tailgate/spare carrier/RotoPax I had an appointment with Shock Therapy to get new springs and set the ride height because of the significant added weight to the rear. The week of the appointment I decided to replace all 4 shocks with their Fox Internal Bypass shocks.

I know many are curious about the Fox IBP's...

Yes, they're much better than stock or my previous set up.

Are they worth $5k? I'm on the fence about saying they're worth it since that's a significant amount of money and everyone has a different level of value. But I will say I don't regret the upgrade for my style of riding.

Will it make a Talon Plush? No idea if this is possible, but since my riding is fast paced desert trails, it's allowed me to drive faster with more control than before. I'm sure they can be set up to a wider range of terrain than the stock shocks.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
The cool thing about IBP's is the tunability in different zones. You can have it ride like it's on a cloud of titties in one zone and have it stiffen up in another to prevent bottoming. I wouldn't mind trying a set of those on my race car but I'm not willing to spend the 5k on them just yet.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The cool thing about IBP's is the tunability in different zones. You can have it ride like it's on a cloud of titties in one zone and have it stiffen up in another to prevent bottoming. I wouldn't mind trying a set of those on my race car but I'm not willing to spend the 5k on them just yet.
Any idea of the down time to have the shock therapy done?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Any idea of the down time to have the shock therapy done?
I have no idea honestly, I've never used Shock Therapy and have no future plans to do so. There are way better choices for SxS shock tuners out there, but because those companies spend more time on R&D and less time on making stupid videos to put up on YouTube they get overlooked.

My first choice will always be George @ Double E Racing, and in a very close second is Gary @ G-Force Racing. Both of those companies spend countless hours testing and refining their shock packages unlike some other companies out there who sell you the "one size fits all" valving option.

Reactions: ChadD and Hometeam
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have no idea honestly, I've never used Shock Therapy and have no future plans to do so. There are way better choices for SxS shock tuners out there, but because those companies spend more time on R&D and less time on making stupid videos to put up on YouTube they get overlooked.

My first choice will always be George @ Double E Racing, and in a very close second is Gary @ G-Force Racing. Both of those companies spend countless hours testing and refining their shock packages unlike some other companies out there who sell you the "one size fits all" valving option.
Yeah, G Force is the company I had in mind when asking about the down time. Sorry, I thought you’d had this done.

Reactions: ChadD
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yeah, G Force is the company I had in mind when asking about the down time. Sorry, I thought you’d had this done.
Depending on what you want done to the shocks and what parts are in stock, it's usually a 3-4 week turn around. These guys are extremely busy in the off season with everyone not racing/riding and wanting their socks serviced or rebuilt, so getting on their list early is key. Another thing that will effect the time frame is the KOH race in California in February. I know George from Double E Racing, who tunes the shocks for the factory Can-Am guys, spends a few weeks out there with them before the race getting those guys dialed in. Your best bet is to call and ask.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
These shocks would be a great deal for someone! Lil Steve loaned them to me, for test purposes, and I put about 1k miles on them. Very careful, conservative, babied miles. 😁They gave a really nice plush ride on my Talon. Frankly, I wish I had bought them. I am $1800 into my Weller Racing setup that I don't think rides as well

advertisement
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
These shocks would be a great deal for someone! Lil Steve loaned them to me, for test purposes, and I put about 1k miles on them. Very careful, conservative, babied miles. 😁They gave a really nice plush ride on my Talon. Frankly, I wish I had bought them. I am $1800 into my Weller Racing setup that I don't think rides as well

These shocks are a smokin deal. You are basically paying for the re-valve/re-spring job from ST and getting 4 free shocks thrown in the deal.

And don't forget, once someone buys these and puts them on their machine, they now have 4 stock R shocks to sell and recoup alot of the $ spent on these. Seems like a win-win in my book.

DHS_Officer

DHS_Officer

Jan 14, 2021
Orange County Cal
Ownership

1. Talon X

Odd how you know there are better options yet you have never used them...
So basically you're giving an opinion with no justification to back it up...what has you so bitter?
Personally I love my ST suspension. Are there better companies? I have absolutely no idea nor will I suggest there is or isn't. But I'm not about to bad mouth a company that I have never used.

Reactions: DRKnight
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Odd how you know there are better options yet you have never used them...
So basically you're giving an opinion with no justification to back it up...what has you so bitter?
Personally I love my ST suspension. Are there better companies? I have absolutely no idea nor will I suggest there is or isn't. But I'm not about to bad mouth a company that I have never used.
I talked to ST, GForce and Double E on the phone before I decided where I was going to get my shocks rebuilt. I'm not new at this and have had many shocks rebuilt/revalved over the years by various shock companies for various forms of motorsports I've raced in. Some with great results and some with not so great results... That single phone conversation I had with ST was enough for me to know to not do business with them. When you start talking to a shock "expert" and they have no clue about flutter stacks and digressive valving it's pretty easy to figure out there are better options without wasting time and money using the wrong guy.

Also, find me one successful UTV racer in desert, short course, KOH or woods racing using their setup. Don't worry, I'll wait......

Reactions: Rambo
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
When I added the DRF tailgate/spare carrier/RotoPax I had an appointment with Shock Therapy to get new springs and set the ride height because of the significant added weight to the rear. The week of the appointment I decided to replace all 4 shocks with their Fox Internal Bypass shocks.

I know many are curious about the Fox IBP's...

Yes, they're much better than stock or my previous set up.

Are they worth $5k? I'm on the fence about saying they're worth it since that's a significant amount of money and everyone has a different level of value. But I will say I don't regret the upgrade for my style of riding.

Will it make a Talon Plush? No idea if this is possible, but since my riding is fast paced desert trails, it's allowed me to drive faster with more control than before. I'm sure they can be set up to a wider range of terrain than the stock shocks.
Any chance a trip to sand hollow is in your near future? I Iike my Weller setup, but they're getting close to reseal time. Not completely opposed to the $5000 thing, but they would have to be a lot "plusher" than what i have for that. I think my level of exuberance is a bit slower than yours:) everyones opinion is different, i would certainly give up a six pack of your favorite beverage for a short trip as a passenger for the information to form my own on.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!