Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Yeah me too Jackal. Bad thing is I’m in a pickle at the moment and haven’t the time or means to ride it until I get back to New Mexico and unload it next weekend....:rolleyes::D

my dealer is 4 miles from my house.

I plan on driving the unit home.

Reactions: Landman
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah me too Jackal. Bad thing is I’m in a pickle at the moment and haven’t the time or means to ride it until I get back to New Mexico and unload it next weekend....:rolleyes::D
Stop here in Texas. We have some backroads we could break it in on!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Stop here in Texas. We have some backroads we could break it in on!
Lol, that would be nice. But I’ll be in hot springs till I head to NM next weekend. I wouldn’t mind a ride down there with you though. In fact @Tramguage1 is going to put together a ride perhaps in December. Let’s get together!!!

Reactions: stellarpod
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds good. I'll await details and hope for decent weather. I can put my custom soft sides on and be toasty! Safe travels home and light'er up when you get there!

Reactions: Montecresto
SchmidtyRacing

SchmidtyRacing

Apr 10, 2019
Central California (for now!)
www.schmidtyracing.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Got a chance to go up into the Sierras to a friend of ours ranch, that is surrounded by blm ground with a bunch of peeps from our group “EPIC”.

0824C3A5 A659 405F AD1B BF101F15097E 3249C610 8D9A 4206 85F1 A448CB59731B B0A30EB8 410D 410F B180 7F21D0E8D030 AECF0D59 8206 434E B8AC C298B2BA2943 0D206DE5 B137 495A A967 9E188B05A5DB

SchmidtyRacing

SchmidtyRacing

Apr 10, 2019
www.schmidtyracing.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
&a few more..
Now for the initial ride review...I Love the Talon!! It is super torquey. It is point and shoot.. it climbs effortlessly.. A lot of the RZRS in the-group were getting their belts hot enough climbing that we could smell them regularly.So glad I can say bye bye to belts!! It .clicks through the gears quickly much like a Duramax, utilizing torque for seamless acceleration.. Engine braking is excellent bordering on too much, as sometime you needed to gas it going downhill.Although there is room for improvement, the factory shocks deliver a very acceptable ride that is very predictable..with the list of add ons I have planned, I predict a machine that I will love even more down the road.

01C87F9A AE2D 4610 9E55 3F7449EDC436 E106C770 152D 4086 840A E734E52B1AC2 1A874D5F 3D6E 4B2F 92C3 7B33B7B263EC

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Although there is room for improvement, the factory shocks deliver a very acceptable ride that is very predictable.
Would you please elaborate on this? Thank you

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Got a chance to go up into the Sierras to a friend of ours ranch, that is surrounded by blm ground with a bunch of peeps from our group “EPIC”.

View attachment 162262 View attachment 162263 View attachment 162265 View attachment 162266 View attachment 162267
Definitely need mirrors on it, can’t see s*** attempting to look over your shoulder out the back, nope, can’t look over your left shoulder outside to the rear, nope. Mirrors are going to be on their way as soon as I can determine which ones are best suited to the Fox 4 and that will work with upper doors.

Reactions: Plumber32
SchmidtyRacing

SchmidtyRacing

Apr 10, 2019
www.schmidtyracing.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Would you please elaborate on this? Thank you
Suspension tuning modification IE (revalving, respringing/adding features to shocks such as rebound and H/L speed comp adjusters) is what we do at Schmidty Racing Suspension. So that puts us behind the wheel of a LOT of OEM units of several different brands.. Some of the shock "set-ups" are just, not that good as released from the factory. bordering on "what were the engineers thinking that day when they decided to use these settings for shocks on their mass produced product?" ....So what I was attempting to say is that the OEM 4 seat Talon(non-live valve) provides a decent ride, that is IMHO better than many OEM shocks as they come from the factory. That said, I also know what a "good and well tuned set of shocks are capable of" on rough mountain trails, and therefore will be working on spring, valving, and adjustment improvement packages.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Suspension tuning modification IE (revalving, respringing/adding features to shocks such as rebound and H/L speed comp adjusters) is what we do at Schmidty Racing Suspension. So that puts us behind the wheel of a LOT of OEM units of several different brands.. Some of the shock "set-ups" are just, not that good as released from the factory. bordering on "what were the engineers thinking that day when they decided to use these settings for shocks on their mass produced product?" ....So what I was attempting to say is that the OEM 4 seat Talon(non-live valve) provides a decent ride, that is IMHO better than many OEM shocks as they come from the factory. That said, I also know what a "good and well tuned set of shocks are capable of" on rough mountain trails, and therefore will be working on spring, valving, and adjustment improvement packages.
Oh!!! My apologies, I assumed you were talking about the Live Valve. Thank you

SchmidtyRacing

SchmidtyRacing

Apr 10, 2019
www.schmidtyracing.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Oh!!! My apologies, I assumed you were talking about the Live Valve. Thank you
I believe I posted this earlier also, but I talked to one of the DirtWheels editors that was part of the early release test group, and they all said that the "Live Valve" version was not as plush as the Non-Live-Valve, but the "Live Valve" did control body roll a little more, so it was more "confidence inspiring" for less experienced drivers; but did so at the expense of plushness.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I believe I posted this earlier also, but I talked to one of the DirtWheels editors that was part of the early release test group, and they all said that the "Live Valve" version was not as plush as the Non-Live-Valve, but the "Live Valve" did control body roll a little more, so it was more "confidence inspiring" for less experienced drivers; but did so at the expense of plushness.
Well I’ve driven three two seat Talons now and that hasn’t been my experience, but perhaps there’s some subjectivity to it?

ArkansasTalon

ArkansasTalon

Oct 11, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here are a few first impressions. We took the Talon to some local trails this weekend. My daughter's 4 seater, live valve version, seems to be every bit as smooth riding (if not better) as my Talon R, and that is with the tire pressure at the factory 16 psi. It maneuvers and turns surprisingly well. If I had a complaint about mine, it would be that it takes a big area to turn a circle. The longer wheelbase on the 4 seater causes more issues about high centering if you're going over the crest of a steep bank. That only makes sense. As far as comfort goes, I tried out the back seats just to see how they felt. I wouldn't call it exactly roomy, but I'm 6' tall and I was pretty comfortable back there. The visibility, with the stadium style seats, was surprisingly good.

Last edited:
Reactions: TimG and GPR1500SC
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
If I had a complaint about mine, it would be that it takes a big area to turn a circle.
That is a fact, not as tight a turning radius of any others I’ve driven with similar wheelbase. I was able to unload mine just briefly yesterday and do ten miles. 8 of which were on county road. I did find a trail down to the river and a bank to negotiate that would have been a no go on the P5, and sketchy in the P1K, but this thing rolled up and down it effortlessly and without the slightest struggle climbing out.

The most noticeable feature on the short ride besides the smoothness of the suspension over the Talon 2 seat, is the comfort of the seating and the leg room, I can actually put my legs out strait. That’s going to be really nice on extended trail rides.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That is a fact, not as tight a turning radius of any others I’ve driven with similar wheelbase. I was able to unload mine just briefly yesterday and do ten miles. 8 of which were on county road. I did find a trail down to the river and a bank to negotiate that would have been a no go on the P5, and sketchy in the P1K, but this thing rolled up and down it effortlessly and without the slightest struggle climbing out.

The most noticeable feature on the short ride besides the smoothness of the suspension over the Talon 2 seat, is the comfort of the seating and the leg room, I can actually put my legs out strait. That’s going to be really nice on extended trail rides.
I wouldn’t assume the front seating is any different from the two seater.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500

Haha.
You've worked on too many SUVs that where just a shake of the corporate parts box different than there cars.
(But with a 4x4 sticker slaped on the side)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
No I’m not, I’ve driven three Talon 2 seaters, for that I was referring to suspension. The seating/leg room was as compared to the Pioneer 1000.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!