Talon cab heat?

Bmurray

Bmurray

Lifetime Member
May 6, 2021
Missouri but soon to be Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X
It's been a little cooler here in the evenings when we get out for a ride. Noticed a lot of heat coming into the cab. This will be an issue in the summer here in MO and soon to be Florida. I'm thinking of getting the some heat shield sheets from Amazon. Has anyone else done something for this issue? thanks

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It's been a little cooler here in the evenings when we get out for a ride. Noticed a lot of heat coming into the cab. This will be an issue in the summer here in MO and soon to be Florida. I'm thinking of getting the some heat shield sheets from Amazon. Has anyone else done something for this issue? thanks
I take it you have a two seater?

Reactions: Bmurray
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My first Talon had door lowers, my second one does NOT. I rode down into the 30’s this winter, wearing tennis shoes and was comfortable. Note that not much air transfers, even with no lowers, the heat just hangs in the cab. My windshield also compounds the problem when it’s down, it’s almost always up, unless it raining or COLD.

Remove your hood and look at the chasm all the radiator heat is funneled into, the passenger ‘bucket’ keeps getting warmer as the day goes on, I cook like a lobster at anything above 80* outside air temperature. In a thread called Cab Dust (if I remember correctly) PaulF showed how he blocked off the tunnel opening, forcing radiator heat to exit past the tires instead of into the cab - he lives in Utah, so knows about heat.

The link in my sig has a link to some brackets that hold the doors open 3 or 4“ and they work well if you aren’t riding in tight woods, otherwise they’ll snag fer shur.

Last edited:
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
My wife noticed a lot of heat coming in on passenger side from the rear. Honda left a lot of holes in the rear wall. I've closed off a couple of the larger areas behind passenger seat but not all. I haven't done it yet but was planning on getting some adhesive foam heat shield material and cover more of the outside of the rear wall.

I do like the idea of closing of the tunnel up front. I'd like to design some louvers to mount behind the radiator to deflect the hot air outward. This is just a consideration since I've not studied the radiator yet.

Reactions: Backwoods and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My wife noticed a lot of heat coming in on passenger side from the rear. Honda left a lot of holes in the rear wall. I've closed off a couple of the larger areas behind passenger seat but not all. I haven't done it yet but was planning on getting some adhesive foam heat shield material and cover more of the outside of the rear wall.

I do like the idea of closing of the tunnel up front. I'd like to design some louvers to mount behind the radiator to deflect the hot air outward. This is just a consideration since I've not studied the radiator yet.
Yep, there are definitely some openings in the back wall -steamed my butt every time I went through a water crossing at anything above a crawl. :oops: I had alum duct tape so that’s what I used. I thought the seat cushion would hide it better but it doesn’t.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Sombody (DEI or Thermocool) is making a complete heat shield kit for the Talon now. I saw it advertised a week or so ago but can't for the life of me remember where the hell it was. BRB, maybe I can find it again in my search history.....

Edit: It's DEI. Here is a link to the product.

advertisement
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Maybe someone will share if they try it, might make life a little easier.

If not I'll be attempting similar to what @PaulF has in the Cab dust control trhread https://hondasxs.com/threads/cab-dust-control.20999/#post-603392 post #11
Your link is broken, here is the correct link... Talon - Cab dust control

FYI, what I did was a total PITA. It works well but I will NEVER do it again. I would suggest the DEI solution, it looks good and the price is good in my opinion (especially after doing what I did).

Also, a LOT of heat comes through the rear firewall too. The passenger seat becomes unbearable on hot days. I used the same "peel and stick" insulation that I used on my front firewall on all the rear plastics and it helped a lot. I removed the seats and 3 plastic firewall pieces and put it on the outside (foil side towards engine) for maximum heat reflection. Sealed all the holes while I was at it. Took about 6 hours but well worth the effort.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Your link is broken, here is the correct link... Talon - Cab dust control

FYI, what I did was a total PITA. It works well but I will NEVER do it again. I would suggest the DEI solution, it looks good and the price is good in my opinion (especially after doing what I did).

Also, a LOT of heat comes through the rear firewall too. The passenger seat becomes unbearable on hot days. I used the same "peel and stick" insulation that I used on my front firewall on all the rear plastics and it helped a lot. I removed the seats and 3 plastic firewall pieces and put it on the outside (foil side towards engine) for maximum heat reflection. Sealed all the holes while I was at it. Took about 6 hours but well worth the effort.

The DEI kit comes with a panel for behind the passenger seat.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!