highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Finally got my Talon cargo bed packout rack in from the fab shop and it fit perfectly and bolted right into place. The 1/8" aluminum is super light weight and looks awesome even uncoated. The Packout boxes that I purchased to design my front seat packout rack fit great but I quickly realized one problem that the larger pack boxes (with the metal columns at corners, 21.7" wide and larger) won't work properly. They are a little wider than the boxes I used to measure (19.7" wide and 9.8" wide). I'll have to add a little more width to accommodate the larger size boxes and the space is already tight. It was a successful first attempt in my book anyway. I'll be using this for my boxes and cooler.

I'm considering making design revisions and selling them in my store. The aluminum is more expensive than steel of course but will never corrode. I'd have to sell these for right at $200, which is $50 more than steel competitors of the same size.

I designed this rack to fit one full size box and one half size box or three half size boxes.

IMG 9348

IMG 9350

IMG 9349

Talon Cargo Bed XL Packout with scans Model

Last edited:
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I had to modify my prototype today and I just finished revising the cad file. It sat too low in the bed area for my new cooler to snap into position. The rear cargo anchors were blocking the feet and the cooler wouldn't get low enough to snap in. After a small lift kit was installed everything worked as expected. Trial and error!

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm trying to maximize storage box space on the Talon. According to Milwaukee's website, the footprint of an XL box is 21.8" x 15.5". The dimension between the two angled downtubes of the roll cage in the cargo area, at its narrowest point is approx. 31".

QUESTION: Would it be possible to mount two of the XL boxes, side by side in the cargo bay? Although it might be a tight squeeze it seems like it might just work (15.5" x 2 = 31"). If so, could you design a hold down plate that would accommodate this arrangement? I know that the boxes would overhang onto the rear plastic entry area of the bed (between the downtubes), but that would not be an issue if the mounting plate were thick enough to keep the boxes equal to, or just above the plastic trim.

Milwaukee XL Packout Box

Steve

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'm trying to maximize storage box space on the Talon. According to Milwaukee's website, the footprint of an XL box is 21.8" x 15.5". The dimension between the two angled downtubes of the roll cage in the cargo area, at its narrowest point is approx. 31".

QUESTION: Would it be possible to mount two of the XL boxes, side by side in the cargo bay? Although it might be a tight squeeze it seems like it might just work (15.5" x 2 = 31"). If so, could you design a hold down plate that would accommodate this arrangement? I know that the boxes would overhang onto the rear plastic entry area of the bed (between the downtubes), but that would not be an issue if the mounting plate were thick enough to keep the boxes equal to, or just above the plastic trim.

Milwaukee XL Packout Box

Steve
Have u seen that box in person? That mo fo is huge! I dont think it will fit in a talon. You would need a special rack to Accommodate that. It will fit in a P1 tho.
If u look a fart around with the different PO boxes, youll find ones with pleanty of room for your gear.
heres a pic of mine. Ive changed the config a few times since. I have the JK off-road PO rack
15B6A363 F79A 4D76 A47A CACD0BA95544

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Have u seen that box in person? That mo fo is huge! I dont think it will fit in a talon. You would need a special rack to Accommodate that. It will fit in a P1 tho.
If u look a fart around with the different PO boxes, youll find ones with pleanty of room for your gear.
heres a pic of mine. Ive changed the config a few times since. I have the JK off-road PO rackView attachment 324211

Hah! You clearly haven't seen the amount of crap I haul around with me. 😁

And I'm installing a DRF tailgate/bed extender once it's completed. The two biggest deficiencies in the Talon in my opinion are, 1) lack of legroom, and 2) lack of cargo space.

Steve

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Hah! You clearly haven't seen the amount of crap I haul around with me. 😁

And I'm installing a DRF tailgate/bed extender once it's completed. The two biggest deficiencies in the Talon in my opinion are, 1) lack of legroom, and 2) lack of cargo space.

Steve
I don’t think two huge boxes will fit at all. I’m having a hard time making one fit with space for another half box.
I have the tusk rear tailgate and the mounting bracket reduces the available opening between down tubes a little bit. I have to modify one of my prototypes trying to make the huge box fit.

yes that big box is enormous! I won’t be using that. So I’ll leave one design as is to fit 3 half boxes or 1 full box and 1 half box. Excluding the 22” wide boxes.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I see what you’re thinking now stellarpod. You would have to put these boxes in sideways either facing inward or outward. Access would be bad this way. Just snapping them in place would be a challenge.

View attachment 324221

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind. I would position them such that the lock mechanism was facing outward in hopes that the tapered, sloped sides of the cargo area would afford enough access to manipulate them. As far as access is concerned, I wouldn't be too worried, as it's not that common that I'd be getting into them (tools, extraction gear, etc.). Anything that needed quick access would be in another box mounted on the floor of the DRF swing-out tailgate.

I know these boxes are big, but certainly no bigger combined than the Tractor Supply boxes and what not that many people are using. Currently, I use a Rigid large box with a small box stacked on top. I like these boxes, but there is simply not enough storage between them to meet my needs.

Steve

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
True, but it is a sport machine! Storage had never been what there made for!
maybe should have got a P1 🤷‍♂️

this is my P1
View attachment 324225View attachment 324226

I certainly understand your point. I just prefer bucket seats and lower profile, or I would have considered it. Honestly, judging by Polaris' development of the General and Can-am's development of the Commander - both of which bridge the gap between pure sport and utility-based machines - there is apparently a growing group of people who, like me, would prefer a mix of both worlds. Perhaps Honda will introduce something in that genre at some point, at which time I'll take a hard look. Meanwhile, I'll stick with the Talon as it scratches that "sport" itch. (And I'm certainly not going to trade for a belt-driven machine)

Steve

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I wouldn’t wait on Honda to add anything to their lineup. We had rzrs for years waiting on Honda to build the talon.

I mainly wanted the rack for the cooler and a small box for tools. I get so tired of unracheting the ice chest during the day and wondering 100 yards down the trail if the kids ratcheted it back down!!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I wouldn’t wait on Honda to add anything to their lineup. We had rzrs for years waiting on Honda to build the talon.

I mainly wanted the rack for the cooler and a small box for tools. I get so tired of unracheting the ice chest during the day and wondering 100 yards down the trail if the kids ratcheted it back down!!
Amen to the getting tired part.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The R&D (ride and destroy) department tested these mounts this weekend at hidden falls park. They held up! Nothing broke or bent so the aluminum is strong enough. My father in law
the 22” wide XL box fully loaded with tools. It’s heavy!

I need to make some design changes that were planned before this ride. For one I want to make the side edges touch the cargo bed floor to eliminate any flexing of the mount plate. For those that want to use the XL boxes that are 22” wide, I have to widen the mounting plate to accommodate this size. One problem I see is that we have cargo bed tailgates and the mounting locations for these may not allow for actually fitting and 22” wide box and a 10” wide box. Ill need to get some good dimensions because it will be TIGHT. Without the “tailgate” this is not a problem since others make plates for this.

I only had the 20” wide box and a 10” wide half box to design with. The mounting plate currently can fit three 10” wide boxes perfectly.

As for the packout cooler, that thing held ice better than I expected. It worked as well as my Engle cooler that I’ve used for years. It was so convenient to have that cooler locked in with no straps to deal with every time I needed something out of it.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!