Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Been glancing around a little and haven’t seen anything, but considering a front snorkel on the Talon. Been thinking about it since Talon was introduced.
I know what some will say as I’ve been there with Pioneer but overall I really like the front intake on Pioneer and have been completely satisfied since I added the Joey snorkel.
Both my local Talon friends have to change filters out on big ride weekends, I know some has to do with back window, but I change filter in front snorkeled Pioneer at 4500 (kinda bad) nothing like Talon though. In summer we ride same very dusty conditions.
Front air is always cleaner, I don’t want the noise level with snorkeled rear intake and to get cleaner air there you have to go above the roof which is a no go in these woods. I’m not a maintenance guy so don’t want a pre filter.
Any ideas or anyone seen anything??

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Even after all the trouble you been through?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I figured I’d get that question🤣 But yes, after 6 years and many trouble free miles with the snorkel the sting has kinda worn off.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I think you'd just be adding an extra failure point honestly. I think you'd be better off running particle separator if it's that bad. The intake noise on mine isn't bad at all with the filter right there behind passenger.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The only way I see it working is down the tunnel and moving intake air down that long HOT as hell tunnel will cause power (and probably RPM) loss.

Are you going to have a rear window? If so, get an S&B. You can mount it behind the window, can't really hear it (especially once you start moving), no maintenance and your filter will last forever.

If no rear window, cleaning a fender mounted pre-filter every couple thousand miles beats changing the stock filter every 400 miles any day.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I think you'd just be adding an extra failure point honestly. I think you'd be better off running particle separator if it's that bad. The intake noise on mine isn't bad at all with the filter right there behind passenger.
Just really trying to get away from rear intake. I don’t think I know anyone that’s had issues with snorkeled front intake.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The only way I see it working is down the tunnel and moving intake air down that long HOT as hell tunnel will cause power (and probably RPM) loss.

Are you going to have a rear window? If so, get an S&B. You can mount it behind the window, can't really hear it (especially once you start moving), no maintenance and your filter will last forever.

If no rear window, cleaning a fender mounted pre-filter every couple thousand miles beats changing the stock filter every 400 miles any day.
Will probably have rear window in quite a bit. I know rear window adds to the problem. Wouldn’t think warm air there would effect it too much Pioneer like that, but maybe. What kinda maintenance schedule is that?

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The PPEi guys that dyno'd my snorkel said they find that the only way to make good horsepower is to get above the rear plastic, and they don't even have the inside of the bed installed. Only the fenders remain for appearance. They are racing with filters mounted directly to the throttle bodies and still have found that the air there is too hot. I agree with Paul F, if the intake is under the hood behind the radiator you'll get nothing but hot air.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does anyone make an intake that uses the upper rear vents in the roof?
No, but this is the closest thing. My S&B mounted behind a rear window just below the Tusk roof. Those "vents" push air down right in front of the intake. Works like a charm...

advertisement
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Just really trying to get away from rear intake. I don’t think I know anyone that’s had issues with snorkeled front intake.
I hear ya. I also like being able to see the intake if I'm in deep mud/water so I get it. Only reason I snorkeled my Rubicon was so I could see the intake as well, it was only a few inches above the stock height but I could see it.

IMG 20180212 112229

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I hear ya. I also like being able to see the intake if I'm in deep mud/water so I get it. Only reason I snorkeled my Rubicon was so I could see the intake as well, it was only a few inches above the stock height but I could see it.

View attachment 319959
Ya I mean been here long enough to know the down fall but I really like where it’s located on the Pioneer. Like the look the sound and love the lack of maintenance. And yes there’s a part of me that likes to see it.
A friend here has mid snorkeled Pioneer with prefilter and it’s ridiculous how often he has to change filter. And it’s obnoxious to ride passenger.
Not hell bent but just kinda looking around and gathering info from you all.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

View attachment 319959
For sure. Looking at the snorkel keeps me from doing dumb s***. Well maybe not but I haven't drowned it yet and in the past I've drowned them all lol

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you do a hood scoop so that you bypass the hot radiator air and insulate a 4" tube down the tunnel, it should work OK. Just don't expect that engine to suck that air down 8 or 9 feet of tubing without some efficiency loss.

And you will lose the room required for a badly needed underhood storage box.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If you do a hood scoop so that you bypass the hot radiator air and insulate a 4" tube down the tunnel, it should work OK. Just don't expect that engine to suck that air down 8 or 9 feet of tubing without some efficiency loss.

And you will lose the room required for a badly needed underhood storage box.
It would be snorkeled up through passenger fender if did do it. I found that aftermarket under hood box, it was on my list lol. Looking around under the hood I realized that. Ya that part would suck. Looks like plenty of room right up till back of passenger seat where it needs to start coming up. Also would take out the aftermarket larger fuel tank.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
For reference - I have to clean my oiled foam prefilter at about 1000 miles, no rear window and I run the flip up windshield up most of the time, especially when it's dusty. It's usually pretty damn goopy at 1000 miles living behind the passenger seat.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
For reference - I have to clean my oiled foam prefilter at about 1000 miles, no rear window and I run the flip up windshield up most of the time, especially when it's dusty. It's usually pretty damn goopy at 1000 miles living behind the passenger seat.
Good to know you’re numbers. Guy I ride with has rear window and factory setup no prefilter. He says every couple rides in summer, 100 miles. That’ll be slightly better this year as he won’t be on dirt roads so much. But that would be 100 month in filter. Pioneer was 50 in 4 years. Obviously anything would help that.
After talking with him last weekend figured it’s time to do something, not going through that! Interested in whatever works good

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Good to know you’re numbers. Guy I ride with has rear window and factory setup no prefilter. He says every couple rides in summer, 100 miles. That’ll be slightly better this year as he won’t be on dirt roads so much. But that would be 100 month in filter. Pioneer was 50 in 4 years. Obviously anything would help that.
After talking with him last weekend figured it’s time to do something, not going through that! Interested in whatever works good
Dumb questions, if you snorkel behind the drivers compartment is it loud? If not why couldn't you route the ducting to the front side of the back panel and pull air from inside the drivers compartment? If you have the back panel.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Dumb questions, if you snorkel behind the drivers compartment is it loud? If not why couldn't you route the ducting to the front side of the back panel and pull air from inside the drivers compartment? If you have the back panel.
Don’t know about talon but pioneer snorkeled there is loud as f***. But it’s also dirtiest possible spot to pull air from. Now with back window in it wouldn’t be as bad pulling from interior. I saw the one intake that pulls from in between seats, if you cut back window around it that wouldn’t be bad. Again though I haven’t been in one with that.
And one thing I know is Talon is super quiet stock, quieter the Pioneer by far. I like the quiet unless you’re getting on it. Maybe others will give better info, I’d like to know more myself

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Short version - maybe ...

I took friends for rides, both of us wearing earmuffs. I dropped the muffs to say something at ~25 mph and was stunned at the mechanical noise the Talon makes, it was painful. I immediately gave up on any conversation. It surprised me because I'm usually wearing earplugs inside my helmet.

Snorkel - behind the passenger seat, no rear window - at easy cruising speeds, I don't notice 'much' intake noise but there is a drone. When I'm trying to push the skinny pedal through the radiator, it 'might' get really noisy but I'm pretty dang preoccupied under those conditions, so the intake drone takes a back seat. Regardless, I can't ride in a Talon without hearing protection and a helmet alone isn't enough.

I copied Hondabob's snorkel idea because it keeps the goofy stock intake plenum. I'm not sure if it's for tuning or noise control, maybe both but I didn't want to remove it for either reason.

The goofy intake plenum, stock config -
I JxZSRKM XL

Modded for the snorkel riser -
I 7HPhcsr XL

Outside -
I gXGK7GX M

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!