Talon front intake

aprils_fool

aprils_fool

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
Big Rapids, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had the S & B filter on the original T1KxLV and will be placing it on the new 2.0 version in similar placement to PaulF. The only sound I heard from it was the fan running before starting the machine after that...nothing.
Before I purchased it I called S & B and questioned them about mounting it up close behind the rear window and below the roof line so it wouldn't be in harms way and was told it only needed to be spaced a couple inches from the window and did not need to be in direct air flow to work properly.
As far as needing to see it........ if you look at the picture @PaulF posted of his very nice looking ride you can clearly see that you will know when the water is getting too close to your intake cus you'll already be holding your breath.🤭
The S & B filter is sold as a Honda Accessory so that makes it a factory approved snorkel my eyes😎

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I had the S & B filter on the original T1KxLV and will be placing it on the new 2.0 version in similar placement to PaulF. The only sound I heard from it was the fan running before starting the machine after that...nothing.
Before I purchased it I called S & B and questioned them about mounting it up close behind the rear window and below the roof line so it wouldn't be in harms way and was told it only needed to be spaced a couple inches from the window and did not need to be in direct air flow to work properly.
As far as needing to see it........ if you look at the picture @PaulF posted of his very nice looking ride you can clearly see that you will know when the water is getting too close to your intake cus you'll already be holding your breath.🤭
The S & B filter is sold as a Honda Accessory so that makes it a factory approved snorkel my eyes😎
Ya going back and forth between this and Hondabob design. Maybe thinking too much into it but we normally go out a lot and there’s a solid month and half we ride where it’s very dusty alone and just not wanting to deal with hassles. Still interested in doing a front intake though, works so well for the Pioneer and our little Wolverine, both are multi year no check filters. Unlike Pioneer the Wolverine was right from day one and never been a problem, obviously Pioneer just needed snorkel.

D

deltajp

Mar 2, 2020
Huntington Beach, CA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I ran 2 1/2 inch intercooler tubing through the small hatched vent on the passenger side rear fender (no drilling). You can get intercooler tubing part sets on eBay. I raised the roof on pipe nipples about three inches, which gives good airflow, helps mitigate dust, and gives room for the intake pipe to clear the rear window. It also gives the intake a view of good clean air from the front of the vehicle. The big ugly part in front is 6-inch ABS pipe from Home Depot with a rubber reducer to fit to the aluminum tubing. I put some 1/2 inch foam around the inside of the ABS to mitigate intake noise, and inside of that is a UNI filter. The UNI basically never gets dirty, and noise is not an issue. I don't really drive in the rain (Mojave desert) and trailer the Talon backwards for tongue weight.

20210319 160751 20210319 160600 2 20210918 104909

Desmo

Desmo

Dec 27, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Short version - maybe ...

I took friends for rides, both of us wearing earmuffs. I dropped the muffs to say something at ~25 mph and was stunned at the mechanical noise the Talon makes, it was painful. I immediately gave up on any conversation. It surprised me because I'm usually wearing earplugs inside my helmet.

Snorkel - behind the passenger seat, no rear window - at easy cruising speeds, I don't notice 'much' intake noise but there is a drone. When I'm trying to push the skinny pedal through the radiator, it 'might' get really noisy but I'm pretty dang preoccupied under those conditions, so the intake drone takes a back seat. Regardless, I can't ride in a Talon without hearing protection and a helmet alone isn't enough.

I copied Hondabob's snorkel idea because it keeps the goofy stock intake plenum. I'm not sure if it's for tuning or noise control, maybe both but I didn't want to remove it for either reason.

The goofy intake plenum, stock config -
View attachment 319974

Modded for the snorkel riser -
View attachment 319975

Outside -
View attachment 319976
I kind of followed you and Hondabob on this one and came up with this version in the end. I'm very pleased with it. I can't say I notice any difference in intake noise at all really. I wear hearing protection either way anyway. I run a rear net as opposed to a glass screen and a flip up front windscreen (being in Arizona). This intake is a very sturdy set up and I retained the stock airbox with plenums, etc. I had to commit to cutting into "two" pieces of plastic for my stack to come through but I wanted the straightest route I could get. I have the Filter Wears cover over a UNI Filter.

PXL 20220209 222235513 PXL 20220128 004738949

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I kind of followed you and Hondabob on this one and came up with this version in the end. I'm very pleased with it. I can't say I notice any difference in intake noise at all really. I wear hearing protection either way anyway. I run a rear net as opposed to a glass screen and a flip up front windscreen (being in Arizona). This intake is a very sturdy set up and I retained the stock airbox with plenums, etc. I had to commit to cutting into "two" pieces of plastic for my stack to come through but I wanted the straightest route I could get. I have the Filter Wears cover over a UNI Filter.

View attachment 327224 View attachment 327225
Probably what I’m going to do too. Enough of you guys speak positive about that setup.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
Bigshow

Bigshow

Lifetime Member
Jul 11, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I used 3" turbo hose and done away with Honda intake with the resonators. I do not have the miles on it yet to see if the cyclone filter works good as a prefilter. I have it right behind the passengers head and do not notice much if any intake noise. Does not interfere with my radio at all.
PART 1648266196282 KIMG0346
KIMG0350

But coming from my OG midmotor Maverick, cab noise and cab heat is non existent in the Talon. Spend a 80 degree day with the engine 6" away and exhaust pipe going under your seat then talk to me about heat. The Talon is awesome in stock form compared to my 14 Maverick.

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
The only way I see it working is down the tunnel and moving intake air down that long HOT as hell tunnel will cause power (and probably RPM) loss.

Are you going to have a rear window? If so, get an S&B. You can mount it behind the window, can't really hear it (especially once you start moving), no maintenance and your filter will last forever.

If no rear window, cleaning a fender mounted pre-filter every couple thousand miles beats changing the stock filter every 400 miles any day.
I was told by S&B that if you have a rear window, you cannot mount the Particle Separator as the window blocks access to the roll cage (needed for mounting brackets). If you do try and mount, a cross arm, such as an elevated spare tire mount is needed. Is this not the case??

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was told by S&B that if you have a rear window, you cannot mount the Particle Separator as the window blocks access to the roll cage (needed for mounting brackets). If you do try and mount, a cross arm, such as an elevated spare tire mount is needed. Is this not the case??
You need to be inventive. I made extensions and mounted through the rear window. Works like a charm as long as you maintain at least 2" behind the window BUT with the new model (PS2), it requires 6" although the PS2 is not available for the Talon yet.

I got mine before there was even a Talon specific model. Used the Can-Am unit because it had 2" roll cage clamps and hard plumbed it through the side vent...

20201029 112710

20201029 112654

20201029 112647

20201029 112632

20191109 233059

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
You need to be inventive. I made extensions and mounted through the rear window. Works like a charm as long as you maintain at least 2" behind the window BUT with the new model (PS2), it requires 6" although the PS2 is not available for the Talon yet.

I got mine before there was even a Talon specific model. Used the Can-Am unit because it had 2" roll cage clamps and hard plumbed it through the side vent...

View attachment 329460

View attachment 329461

View attachment 329462

View attachment 329463

View attachment 329465
That is FANTASTIC!!! Thanks for the detailed pictures! Currently, I've got a pre-filter installed and it's catching a LOT of the AZ Dust. I killed a RZR by not cleaning the filter after every ride. Got a buddy that swears by the S&B system but I couldn't find a good solution. Personally, I'd like to mount the separater low as I've got a couple Milwaukee boxes and I need all the upper, rear, view I can get but I may have to rearrange things (take less tools & recovery stuff) if this is how I proceed. Again, thanks for sharing the details.

Sandsurfer

Sandsurfer

Feb 23, 2022
NM
Ownership

1. Talon X
Did set the Pioneer hood and snorkel on the other night still thinking about it though.

View attachment 327226
A plus for creativity, but I seriously hope you didn't follow through with this. A lot of us followed your rebuild thread and your talon looks great with the end result. I'd hate to see that good looking machine ruined with that ugly pipe through the hood.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
A plus for creativity, but I seriously hope you didn't follow through with this. A lot of us followed your rebuild thread and your talon looks great with the end result. I'd hate to see that good looking machine ruined with that ugly pipe through the hood.
If I had easy access to a pipe bender and could do it right with 4” aluminum pipe I’d do it. Don’t want some conglomeration of crap for intake.
But I’m over the idea for now Rear prefilter coming.

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
That is FANTASTIC!!! Thanks for the detailed pictures! Currently, I've got a pre-filter installed and it's catching a LOT of the AZ Dust. I killed a RZR by not cleaning the filter after every ride. Got a buddy that swears by the S&B system but I couldn't find a good solution. Personally, I'd like to mount the separater low as I've got a couple Milwaukee boxes and I need all the upper, rear, view I can get but I may have to rearrange things (take less tools & recovery stuff) if this is how I proceed. Again, thanks for sharing the details.
To be perfectly honest, I WAS an S&B fan until recently. I took it off and put a pre-filter because...
  • It blocked some of my rear vision and I could never get used to it.
  • It is bulky and personally I think they are a bit of an eyesore (but not as hideous and the KWT).
  • Was a little noisy (even with a rear window).
  • And the final nail in the coffin is a wire came lose on a real dusty ride, it stopped working and and it dirtied up my filter real bad. No power and the thing is nothing more than a real expensive snorkel.
I guess I am never happy. I had a pre-filter through the fender before the S&B but it was just too noisy at the dunes when wide open so I got the S&B. When I saw the BVC unit in the fender, I decided it would be hidden and quiet enough with the rear window so I fabbed one out of parts on hand. I was skeptical that it would keep clean in the fender but the louver keeps air flowing and to my surprise, it works really well, is out of the elements and is pretty quiet. For now, I am OK with this.

Not for everyone because it lowers the intake location a few inches but I don't do deep mud or water so it works for me...

PXL 20220123 194111750

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
To be perfectly honest, I WAS an S&B fan until recently. I took it off and put a pre-filter because...
  • It is bulky and personally I think they are a bit of an eyesore (but not as hideous and the KWT).
  • And the final nail in the coffin is a wire came lose on a real dusty ride, it stopped working and and it dirtied up my filter real bad. No power and the thing is nothing more than a real expensive snorkel.
I guess I am never happy. I had a pre-filter through the fender before the S&B but it was just too noisy at the dunes when wide open so I got the S&B. When I saw the BVC unit in the fender, I decided it would be hidden and quiet enough with the rear window so I fabbed one out of parts on hand. I was skeptical that it would keep clean in the fender but the louver keeps air flowing and to my surprise, it works really well, is out of the elements and is pretty quiet. For now, I am OK with this.

Not for everyone because it lowers the intake location a few inches but I don't do deep mud or water so it works for me...

View attachment 329609
Nice job Paul. When there are so many options for something you know it’s a problem.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Nice job Paul. When there are so many options for something you know it’s a problem.
Thanks! My CNC router made short work of the cover and I prefer it somewhat hidden in black but other than that, it is a blatant rip off from BVC :cool:. I had all the parts so I though I would give it a try.

Air filtration is such a problem with the Talon, I am surprised they didn't address it in the '22 model. I guess Honda likes selling air filters.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

View attachment 329609
That's pretty cool!!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks! My CNC router made short work of the cover and I prefer it somewhat hidden in black but other than that, it is a blatant rip off from BVC :cool:. I had all the parts so I though I would give it a try.

Air filtration is such a problem with the Talon, I am surprised they didn't address it in the '22 model. I guess Honda likes selling air filters.
Ya you guys with the cnc stuff make me jealous. That would be fun

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!