Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Short version - maybe ...

I took friends for rides, both of us wearing earmuffs. I dropped the muffs to say something at ~25 mph and was stunned at the mechanical noise the Talon makes, it was painful. I immediately gave up on any conversation. It surprised me because I'm usually wearing earplugs inside my helmet.

Snorkel - behind the passenger seat, no rear window - at easy cruising speeds, I don't notice 'much' intake noise but there is a drone. When I'm trying to push the skinny pedal through the radiator, it 'might' get really noisy but I'm pretty dang preoccupied under those conditions, so the intake drone takes a back seat. Regardless, I can't ride in a Talon without hearing protection and a helmet alone isn't enough.

I copied Hondabob's snorkel idea because it keeps the goofy stock intake plenum. I'm not sure if it's for tuning or noise control, maybe both but I didn't want to remove it for either reason.

The goofy intake plenum, stock config -
View attachment 319974

Modded for the snorkel riser -
View attachment 319975

Outside -
View attachment 319976
Have you ran rear window?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I took friends for rides, both of us wearing earmuffs. I dropped the muffs to say something at ~25 mph and was stunned at the mechanical noise the Talon makes, it was painful. I immediately gave up on any conversation. It surprised me because I'm usually wearing earplugs inside my helmet.

Snorkel - behind the passenger seat, no rear window - at easy cruising speeds, I don't notice 'much' intake noise but there is a drone. When I'm trying to push the skinny pedal through the radiator, it 'might' get really noisy but I'm pretty dang preoccupied under those conditions, so the intake drone takes a back seat. Regardless, I can't ride in a Talon without hearing protection and a helmet alone isn't enough.

I copied Hondabob's snorkel idea because it keeps the goofy stock intake plenum. I'm not sure if it's for tuning or noise control, maybe both but I didn't want to remove it for either reason.

View attachment 319974

View attachment 319975

Outside -
View attachment 319976
How does that compare to original configuration as far as noise?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

View attachment 319974

View attachment 319975

Outside -
View attachment 319976
Your experience on noise is definitely different then I had. In 4wd it has a little bit but I feel very quiet.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Your experience on noise is definitely different then I had. In 4wd it has a little bit but I feel very quiet.
You, I and a small elite amount of people have the front snorkel through the hood on our P1’s . It makes a very distinct sound when goosed! ;)
one must experience it i the cockpit to appreciate it.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Have you ran rear window?
Not yet. I have one and can't get the dang gasket to seat around the edge ... so I'm pouting. 😢
How does that compare to original configuration as far as noise?
I don't know, I put it on before the first ride. The 3 Talons I've been in have all had snorkels behind the passenger seat. And all three were too loud for my comfort level.
My ears ring so bad now that I'm very careful not to let it get worse.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You, I and a small elite amount of people have the front snorkel through the hood on our P1’s . It makes a very distinct sound when goosed! ;)
Thats why I've never snorkeled mine, I've experienced that way to much of that and wear hearing aids now.:(

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Not yet. I have one and can't get the dang gasket to seat around the edge ... so I'm pouting. 😢

I don't know, I put it on before the first ride. The 3 Talons I've been in have all had snorkels behind the passenger seat. And all three were too loud for my comfort level.

My ears ring so bad now that I'm very careful not to let it get worse.
Hearing aids will help with that.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Going through the gears especially low😍 I like it around the rubber band clan. Not obnoxious though, just high rpm’s.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I always make sure 'they' know I'm drivin' a 6 speed, shifter kart. #zoomzoom 😎
Me too. Sometimes run in low when not necessary, paddle more then needed and rev limit with engine breaking popping exhaust downhill 🤣🤣 funny the lack of break lights following a Honda hard bumper to bumper through the woods.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Me too. Sometimes run in low when not necessary, paddle more then needed and rev limit with engine breaking popping exhaust downhill 🤣🤣 funny the lack of break lights following a Honda hard bumper to bumper through the woods.
The, brake pads last along time! GN!

Last edited:
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I am still happy with my Hondabob style snorkle, with the prefilter under the roof, in front of the rear window. I installed that before I ever rode the machine. 3200 miles and neither filter has needed to be cleaned or replaced. YMMV.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Been glancing around a little and haven’t seen anything, but considering a front snorkel on the Talon. Been thinking about it since Talon was introduced.
I know what some will say as I’ve been there with Pioneer but overall I really like the front intake on Pioneer and have been completely satisfied since I added the Joey snorkel.
Both my local Talon friends have to change filters out on big ride weekends, I know some has to do with back window, but I change filter in front snorkeled Pioneer at 4500 (kinda bad) nothing like Talon though. In summer we ride same very dusty conditions.
Front air is always cleaner, I don’t want the noise level with snorkeled rear intake and to get cleaner air there you have to go above the roof which is a no go in these woods. I’m not a maintenance guy so don’t want a pre filter.
Any ideas or anyone seen anything??
Donaldson canister - high flow - very little dust even gets to the filter and way cheaper than the S&B
06BAEB1C B6F6 4700 B309 C57C91B090CF

792C90FC 3996 4492 8514 D9D7E7752120

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
This is the route I will likely go. Happen to have a PN for the housing you used, and do you keep the filter in the Donaldson as well?
couldnt find the part number. I remember they offer 3” and 4”. The housing was $80-$90, filter was $20-$30, the top spin was expensive $300. If you don’t have a turbo, you could prolly use a smaller one.

H

hondatalonr

Feb 6, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you don't remove and throw away the Honda intake tube that attaches to air box there is no intake noise at all. That tube is engineered to quite intake noise. Hond Bob's intake uses the tube and I have no intake noise. I had an XP900 Polaris and it made a lot of intake noise right behind my head.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!