Talon grinding sound

bblackw_36

bblackw_36

Jan 26, 2021
Lawrenceville IL
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a 2021 Talon 1000r that has started making a grinding noise when on the gas at high speeds. The noise is coming from the front of the vehicle. Driveshaft U-joints all have caps and just changed the oil in front diff and it’s only getting louder. Any ideas on what could be?

Reactions: TxDoc
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a 2021 Talon 1000r that has started making a grinding noise when on the gas at high speeds. The noise is coming from the front of the vehicle. Driveshaft U-joints all have caps and just changed the oil in front diff and it’s only getting louder. Any ideas on what could be?
I can't help with an idea but if it was mine - it would be the dealer's problem (2021, so assuming new). Normally, grinding noises happen when shifting, either into low or reverse.

bblackw_36

bblackw_36

Jan 26, 2021
Lawrenceville IL
Ownership

1. Talon R
I bought it used so I don’t have warranty. I did some more research and I believe it’s the front drive shaft working it’s way loose at the U-joints causing it to rattle when in motion. I’ll be getting that looked at soon by my local dealer.

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Damn, a used 2021? :oops:

An occasional Talon has spit the caps off the driveshaft u-joints. Honda doesn't offer the u-joints separately but there is an aftermarket u-joint available.

Thanks to TerryH IIRC-
Moog 338 is a Talon u-joint replacement

This might help too -

Hometeam about driveshaft replacement -

Well you definitely don't need to follow the service manual on how to replace your front prop shaft / drive shaft. I replaced mine with my machine sitting in the shed. I did not jack it up or remove any wheels or axles. Once you get the floor board and side cover off on the driver side, which feels like it has 9,000 plastic rivets!
At that point all's you need to do is remove the two safety loops and the three bolts that hold in the front diff. With the three bolts removed on the front diff that gives you enough play to remove the drive shaft. You will need to remove the front portion from the front diff first. It is shorter than the rear and you will have enough room with the play in the front diff to pull it out. The retaining clip on the front diff is a pain and was the hardest part of the easy job. If you didn't have to remove the plastics to access the drive shaft it would take less than an hour to do. Hope that helps if anyone has to do their own drive shaft.

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!