Talon Talon must haves?

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As of right now we will be getting a Talon R. Doing my research and starting my parts collection. What are the Talons immediate must haves for trail riding?

Skid plate?
Windsheild and roof.
32" tires
14 or 15" wheels?
Winch. (Getting a Warn Axiom 5500)
Dual batteries and isolator.

Does the Talon need extra frame bracing like the Pioneer? What are its weak points?

I will be building my own cage and incorporating a spare tire mount

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
As of right now we will be getting a Talon R. Doing my research and starting my parts collection. What are the Talons immediate must haves for trail riding?

Skid plate?
Windsheild and roof.
32" tires
14 or 15" wheels?
Winch. (Getting a Warn Axiom 5500)
Dual batteries and isolator.

Does the Talon need extra frame bracing like the Pioneer? What are its weak points?

I will be building my own cage and incorporating a spare tire mount

What does it "need" or what do you want?

IMO the Talon is a very capable rig right out of the box, it doesn't "need" anything. It comes from the factory with a roof, most want some sort of wind protection, I added the glass w/s from Honda & a tinted rear window/panel from aftermarket. For most the factory skid plates are sufficient but it's added protection if you're the type to bounce it off the rocks. I'll be adding some from Trail Armor this winter most likely. Tires are a matter of opinion, I'm quite satisfied with the stock rubber and actually bought a spare set of new take offs for replacements when the originals wear out. I'm also going to add bumpers, most likely from HMF along with a winch. Unless you're running a lot of lights and a sound system I don't see the need for an extra battery......JMHO.

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. Coming from a Pioneer that had horrible factory skids, was curious how the Talon skid was.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While pricy I would do the same electrical switch plate @my99svt did. Only component I know is the radius rods in the back - I would change to arched aftermarket or carry spares. I will also comment that riding in his twice now - the ride was greatly improved after he put 32” tires on. hopefully Tim will be along shortly and give his input.. I know he has a 2nd battery

H

HondaTech

From what I've seen on the bosses ride that he's raced and trail ridden:

Trailing arm guards, his Honda ones are beat to hell and I'd hate to see what the arm would've looked like without them.

A-arm guards, same deal I can only imagine the arms take a beating

He's negated the skids for now, he suspects they hold in more heat an cause a worse condition in the cab. Same with the lower door panels.

Windshield I would think is a definite, I saw a Superatv flip up today and it does look better than the P1K style, I'm still not a fan. I'd probably go full Honda, unless someone comes out with something better.

Bumper would be another must, Honda acted like they were doing you a favor with the TRX90 bumper they have stock. A coworker has already destroyed his.

Reactions: 1HasBeen
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Some sort of pre-filter or partical separator is a must if you ride in any kind of dusty conditions unless you don't mind replacing your air filter every 250 miles.

NemoDeven

NemoDeven

Jul 24, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
L&W Fab radius arms and hmf defender front bumper with integrated winch mount fit the Warn Axiom winch well are a must have. I did Honda glass windshield & the wiper kit it is the cats meow then you will need the super atv back panel it controls the dust great virtually non existent. Honda's rear storage box is dust and water tight is really nice for rain gear tools and dry goods (food & snacks). The Honda rock sliders protect the rocker area well. 30" xcomps on 14" hd 9 beadlock stock offsets really make the machine super stable and can crawl up any trail I have these tires on my PK1000 too that have been proven on all the Hatfield & McCoy trails and Brimstone Tennessee we just wanted to upgrade to a different trail rig the Talon which we love so far have about 150 miles of trails on it.

Reactions: Superthrill
J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Fender liners. Rear trailing arm/shock/ball joint boot (if it's an R) protection. Road safety stuff like mirrors and signals. Lower half door kit. Oil and filters kit cause 100 miles happens the first week.

Reactions: Superthrill

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!