Talon R high sped stability.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
i have 19 R, when hi speed on graded gravel roads, the back of my machine always wants to drift or kick to the driver side. even on straight runs above 50 mph, uneven spots in the road makes it want to kick to the driver side. So i'm always having to correct it. makes for a wishy washy unstable ride. pavement is great. drives straight and true down the road with no input needed to the steering.
i have no check alignment, but i have no odd tire wear. with the front tracking true, i'd think the rear is off? but it's not adjustable. even the sand highway from alamo lake back it's really scary cresting the water drain humps in the road at 80.

thoughts?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Slow down, just kidding. Check the tire pressure and make sure it goes straight with your hands off the steering wheel. I set my front end toe in or out to 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Can't remember if its in or out make it handle better at high speed. I keep it under 60 on those grade dips. The rear wheels move in and out by 3 or 4 inches as the suspension tops out. I like to keep the wheels on the ground most all of the time. Too old to get hurt but that road has lots of wiggle room and a great place for high speed testing. A 747 could land on it.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Thank you hondabob, when i was racing the general rule was 1/8-1/4 toe in for high speed stability, and 1/8-1/4 out for faster or more responsive steering. light in the tighter trails. that was usually felt in the front end feeling loose or wondering, kinda road happy, this to me feels different. i will check the toe though.
tires are all at 10.
hands off the wheel it goes straight, i however have not tested this on dirt road.

Reactions: Tedbell52
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
i have 19 R, when hi speed on graded gravel roads, the back of my machine always wants to drift or kick to the driver side. even on straight runs above 50 mph, uneven spots in the road makes it want to kick to the driver side. So i'm always having to correct it. makes for a wishy washy unstable ride. pavement is great. drives straight and true down the road with no input needed to the steering.
i have no check alignment, but i have no odd tire wear. with the front tracking true, i'd think the rear is off? but it's not adjustable. even the sand highway from alamo lake back it's really scary cresting the water drain humps in the road at 80.

thoughts?
As a test, try backing off the crossover rings 20 turns and/or disconnecting the sway bar to see if that improves anything.

It should give you a better ride and reduce the wheel hop that might be causing your problem. It helped mine a lot.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
As a test, try backing off the crossover rings 20 turns and/or disconnecting the sway bar to see if that improves anything.

It should give you a better ride and reduce the wheel hop that might be causing your problem. It helped mine a lot.

Thanks but that's not the issue. i have full reworked suspension from Shock therapy and myself.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Mine is sketchy in 2wd but not to bad in 4wd, that being said I raced sprint cars for 20 years so I feel better when the car is sideways more than straight. LOL Are you running in 4wd?
Thanks for the reply, Does it in 2 or 4. i'm going to set up some jackstands and some string and get to measuring see whats not right.

Reactions: Hometeam and BPINE
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
My X likes to stay loose on gravel also. I just chalk it up to a locked rear end, aggressive tires on a low traction surface. My driveway is about ¾ of a mile gravel and all our solid rear end machines were a little loose on there, my unlocked mule is fine and tracks straight (LOT less power and only 1 rear wheel driving)

Reactions: Killer223
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
My x is loose on the gravel roads also with stock tires,,, My 30'' after market tires are not as loose. I think it is because of the locked rear end. I worry more about the low side going out on me than anything else,,, A problem that Honda does not want to admit and fix.

advertisement
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Might want to get it on some scales and see the weight on each wheel and do some preload adjustments. Adjustable swaybar links might help.

Reactions: Killer223
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Might want to get it on some scales and see the weight on each wheel and do some preload adjustments. Adjustable swaybar links might help.
Would that be the same advice for the X4 live valve?
And is the stabilizer adjustable or is that something that would have to be added?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!