H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My 2019 Talon still runs like new. Two of my buddy’s want it. A new one would cost anywhere from $25,000 to $30,000 fully setup and they know how I take care of my Talons. From the maintenance to avoiding stupid hard driving. I don’t bottom out the suspension, jump it, or drive in water over 8 inches. I may keep it and sell my 2020 Talon.

My 2020 Talon has over 8,000 miles and my 2022 Pioneer 520 has over 3,000 miles. I bought the Pioneer 520 for trail work. I’m going to sell one of my Talons in January after I buy the 2023 or by then a 2024 Talon R 4 seat. I’m hoping Honda has the base model with the Showa shocks by then if not I may wait awhile. I don’t need the Live Valve Sport mode, just too old to be going at race pace. When the trail gets rough, I slow down. Both of my Talons have the suspension fixed.

My buddy has the 2023 Talon R with the live valve suspension. He was happy with the suspension in standard mode until we swapped Talons for a few miles. My Talon was better. I raised the rear shock cross over rings 12 turns, so it stayed on the tender springs a lot longer and that fixed the rough suspension. Stock it only had about one inch of travel before cross over. I will be checking the rear shocks to make sure the tender springs don’t coil bind. So far, they haven’t broken the tie raps on the springs. The front shocks be next.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Super clean air is important for a long high mileage engine life. My original stock air filter was still clean at 37,500 miles but it was getting old, so I replaced it. The pre filter gets changed every 8,000 to 10,000 miles. It looks like the spark plugs will be ok for 50,000 miles but I had them out doing the valve adjustment, so I replaced them too.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Good news in an excellent report. I've often wondered what the life expectancy in miles is for a well maintained Talon or Pioneer.

I wonder if 100,000 miles is possible with sensible operation and good maintenance?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Good news in an excellent report. I've often wondered what the life expectancy in miles is for a well maintained Talon or Pioneer.

I wonder if 100,000 miles is possible with sensible operation and good maintenance?

Sounds like @hondabob is fixin to find out. 😎

My buddy in TN has a Talon X4 in his rental fleet that has almost 40k miles on it with zero issues. He expects it to be around for many more years based on what he's seen so far.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Sounds like @hondabob is fixin to find out. 😎

My buddy in TN has a Talon X4 in his rental fleet that has almost 40k miles on it with zero issues. He expects it to be around for many more years based on what he's seen so far.
40k miles in a rental fleet is pretty impressive! I think that's the highest odometer miles I've heard of.

That would be about a mile and a half of Polaris/Can-Am/Yamaha/Kubota rubber drive belts.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
40k miles in a rental fleet is pretty impressive! I think that's the highest odometer miles I've heard of.

That would be about a mile and a half of Polaris/Can-Am/Yamaha/Kubota rubber drive belts.

He bought a bunch of Polaris something or others last year and completely regrets it. Nothing but problems......

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
He bought a bunch of Polaris something or others last year and completely regrets it. Nothing but problems......
We rented from Gatlinburg Unseen Pass in April of 2023 because the owner has bought talon low delete shifter plates from me for his fleet. Super cool guy! Anyway he's going all Honda because of the reliability. He did say it's tough though because EVERYONE knows RZR but not Talon.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
We rented from Gatlinburg Unseen Pass in April of 2023 because the owner has bought talon low delete shifter plates from me for his fleet. Super cool guy! Anyway he's going all Honda because of the reliability. He did say it's tough though because EVERYONE knows RZR but not Talon.

Might not be the same guy. My buddy is in Pigeon Forge TN and it's called EXORENT. He definitely bought a couple of your shift delete plates though.

Reactions: Biteme
Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
My 2019 Talon still runs like new. Two of my buddy’s want it. A new one would cost anywhere from $25,000 to $30,000 fully setup and they know how I take care of my Talons. From the maintenance to avoiding stupid hard driving. I don’t bottom out the suspension, jump it, or drive in water over 8 inches. I may keep it and sell my 2020 Talon.

My 2020 Talon has over 8,000 miles and my 2022 Pioneer 520 has over 3,000 miles. I bought the Pioneer 520 for trail work. I’m going to sell one of my Talons in January after I buy the 2023 or by then a 2024 Talon R 4 seat. I’m hoping Honda has the base model with the Showa shocks by then if not I may wait awhile. I don’t need the Live Valve Sport mode, just too old to be going at race pace. When the trail gets rough, I slow down. Both of my Talons have the suspension fixed.

My buddy has the 2023 Talon R with the live valve suspension. He was happy with the suspension in standard mode until we swapped Talons for a few miles. My Talon was better. I raised the rear shock cross over rings 12 turns, so it stayed on the tender springs a lot longer and that fixed the rough suspension. Stock it only had about one inch of travel before cross over. I will be checking the rear shocks to make sure the tender springs don’t coil bind. So far, they haven’t broken the tie raps on the springs. The front shocks be next.
That's outstanding. I hope my Talon is as reliable as hondabob's. So far so good...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!