• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Talon Talon R in Toyhauler?

Discussion in 'General Talon 1000 Discussion' started by Dwight, Jul 6, 2019.

1. stellarpod

stellarpod Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    QUESTION: I want to know how you guys with the toy haulers and enclosed trailers get out of your sxs once you've driven it up and in? I don't think I could open the doors enough to squeeze my fat butt out. Is there something obvious that I'm missing here?

Steve

Sheetmetalfab likes this.
  2. TerryH

TerryH Active Member
    Supporting Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    Eltobgi, Remington and stellarpod like this.
  3. stellarpod

Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    Given what you've described and if the machine was centered in the trailer, you'd have about 6" of clearance in which to open the door. At 6'4", 250 lbs, I suspect that it might be substantially tight for me. Of course, mine is 64" wide, so that would give me 8" of opening. Just trying to determine whether a toy hauler would actually work for me.

Thanks for your response.

Steve

4. nm6r

nm6r Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Steve, you are right about it being a tight fit with an 80" interior width. I am 5'-7" and 140 lbs. I have to suck it in to get past the Talon's door opening. It's not easy for me. I can see it being much easier with a wider trailer.

The body of a Talon 1000X is the same as a 1000R so that doesn't change. The only thing of pertinence that changes is the overall width (tires) so getting in/out of the Talon's door doesn't change. Getting past the tire to exit the trailer may be a bit better. Also, keep in mind when determining the door opening is the thickness of the Talon's door and the angle of which you would have to enter/exit.

Once again, I can see it being much easier with a wider trailer. That just wasn't an option for me.

Ray

TerryH and stellarpod like this.
  5. TerryH

TerryH Active Member
    Supporting Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    stellarpod likes this.
  6. Ezgoin

Ezgoin Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    My X is tight getting into the toy hauler thanks to intrusion by the refrigerator!! I have to crawl out through the drivers window, step on the rear tire and down. Not easy, and requires unbuckling the window net from its top rear anchor point. I like the idea of the window net for my wife’s side of the car, but I’m afraid it’s gotta go, at least on my side!
    Getting back in the Talon is the same effort and I usually try and take my boots off before climbing in or out if possible just to be a little easier on the seat!

27DCCF8F-94B1-4930-9C10-434FD3D0672A.jpeg

stellarpod likes this.
  7. Ezgoin

Ezgoin Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    I’d have gotten an R in stead of the X if it wasn’t for this restriction!!

0A53E504-E1E6-49F5-AB76-A390C2ACE42E.jpeg

stellarpod likes this.
  8. stellarpod

Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    I would love to get some kind of toyhauler. But, I'd have to buy a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup too, as my F150 just wouldn't handle towing that big of a package. And the last time I priced F250 and F350 pickups I just about choked - especially in the Lariat package I prefer. So, the trailer and truck package would easily push over the $100k mark and sadly, this retiree just doesn't have the budget for that.

Meanwhile, this is what I trailer on:

20190608_153619.jpg

This wonderful Echo trailer with heavy duty axle pulls like a dream. I bought it to carry two Grizzlies, sideways, which it does marvelously. But, I'll tell you, if it were one inch shorter it would not work. I'm working on a possible plan to build a platform that rises above the hood of the Talon on which I'd mount one of those rooftop tents. That would allow me to set up camp and still have my truck available to run into town and what not. Still not likely to get the wife enthused about it though, because it would still lack shower facilities. Her roughing it will only stretch so far...........

Steve