Talon Talon R in Toyhauler?

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
QUESTION: I want to know how you guys with the toy haulers and enclosed trailers get out of your sxs once you've driven it up and in? I don't think I could open the doors enough to squeeze my fat butt out. Is there something obvious that I'm missing here?

Steve

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
QUESTION: I want to know how you guys with the toy haulers and enclosed trailers get out of your sxs once you've driven it up and in? I don't think I could open the doors enough to squeeze my fat butt out. Is there something obvious that I'm missing here?

Steve

My 7x16 Haulmark enclosed is 80" inside. My X is 68". I open the door as far as it will go, step out on the tire and off the front. Works fine.

48746781041 9145735ddf b

48746769396 9a06e1ef11 b

48394930622 104afd4352 b

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
My 7x16 Haulmark enclosed is 80" inside. My X is 68". I open the door as far as it will go, step out on the tire and off the front. Works fine.

View attachment 159321

View attachment 159322

View attachment 159323

Given what you've described and if the machine was centered in the trailer, you'd have about 6" of clearance in which to open the door. At 6'4", 250 lbs, I suspect that it might be substantially tight for me. Of course, mine is 64" wide, so that would give me 8" of opening. Just trying to determine whether a toy hauler would actually work for me.

Thanks for your response.

Steve

nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R

Steve

Steve, you are right about it being a tight fit with an 80" interior width. I am 5'-7" and 140 lbs. I have to suck it in to get past the Talon's door opening. It's not easy for me. I can see it being much easier with a wider trailer.

Given what you've described and if the machine was centered in the trailer, you'd have about 6" of clearance in which to open the door. At 6'4", 250 lbs, I suspect that it might be substantially tight for me. Of course, mine is 64" wide, so that would give me 8" of opening. Just trying to determine whether a toy hauler would actually work for me.

Steve

The body of a Talon 1000X is the same as a 1000R so that doesn't change. The only thing of pertinence that changes is the overall width (tires) so getting in/out of the Talon's door doesn't change. Getting past the tire to exit the trailer may be a bit better. Also, keep in mind when determining the door opening is the thickness of the Talon's door and the angle of which you would have to enter/exit.

Once again, I can see it being much easier with a wider trailer. That just wasn't an option for me.

Ray

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X

Steve

As nm6r said, no matter what the width is tire to tire, the body is the same so the door opening distance is the same. The trick is that I don't stand on the floor. I literally open the door as far as it will go and step out on the left front tire and then off the front. Reverse procedure to get it. I keep my cooler strapped to the wall just in front of the Talon so step on the cooler, on the tire and in. It works fine. I'm 6' and 250.

Reactions: stellarpod
Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
My X is tight getting into the toy hauler thanks to intrusion by the refrigerator!! I have to crawl out through the drivers window, step on the rear tire and down. Not easy, and requires unbuckling the window net from its top rear anchor point. I like the idea of the window net for my wife’s side of the car, but I’m afraid it’s gotta go, at least on my side!
Getting back in the Talon is the same effort and I usually try and take my boots off before climbing in or out if possible just to be a little easier on the seat!

27DCCF8F 94B1 4930 9C10 434FD3D0672A

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
Would removing the front bumper on the "R" reduce the overall length? Right now I can haul my RZR rock and trails edition + my Harley trike. It's tight but it fits. The "X" would work but I'd like to have the extra wheelbase.
Thanks
Dwight
I’d have gotten an R in stead of the X if it wasn’t for this restriction!!

0A53E504 E1E6 49F5 AB76 A390C2ACE42E

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I’d have gotten an R in stead of the X if it wasn’t for this restriction!!

View attachment 160308

I would love to get some kind of toyhauler. But, I'd have to buy a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup too, as my F150 just wouldn't handle towing that big of a package. And the last time I priced F250 and F350 pickups I just about choked - especially in the Lariat package I prefer. So, the trailer and truck package would easily push over the $100k mark and sadly, this retiree just doesn't have the budget for that.

Meanwhile, this is what I trailer on:

20190608 153619

This wonderful Echo trailer with heavy duty axle pulls like a dream. I bought it to carry two Grizzlies, sideways, which it does marvelously. But, I'll tell you, if it were one inch shorter it would not work. I'm working on a possible plan to build a platform that rises above the hood of the Talon on which I'd mount one of those rooftop tents. That would allow me to set up camp and still have my truck available to run into town and what not. Still not likely to get the wife enthused about it though, because it would still lack shower facilities. Her roughing it will only stretch so far...........

Steve

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!