Talon vs X3

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Fellers, I figured I would write a short comparison on the X3 I picked up vs the Talon for anyone shopping. Obviously they don't really compete in the same category, except in Canada they have a very similar MSRP (X3 DS Turbo R has a $500 lower MSRP than a Talon X)

Initial impressions, the Talon clearly has a higher quality interior, with the exception of the nintendo gameboy from the 90's style screen it has, placed in a dumb spot right in the middle. I prefer the seats in the Talon, and I prefer the upright seating position to the X3's F1 cockpit style where you're almost laying down. The Talon's seats are more comfy, and easier to get in and out of, however the X3 has much more leg room and way more hip/shoulder room. The X3 has a lot more hard, sharp plastic in the interior, and the Talon generally uses better quality materials in the interior.

Now, that's about where the comparison ends. I really liked the DCT of the Talon in most situations, and would prefer it to the belt for a number of reasons, however the X3 has done a great job with the belt. It's also nice being able to shift into low with no issues whatsoever, where I had to fight it to get into low in the Talon.

The suspension on the X3 is light years ahead of the Talon X in every conceivable way. It rides like a dream compared to the dump truck like ride of the Talon. I didn't realize how bad the Talon's rear end bucked until I rode the X3 on the same trails, and it's like huh. I don't need to slow down or risk being bucked into the trees at 70mph. I also REALLY enjoyed actually using the suspension clickers to adjust it to my tastes, rather than sticking them on all soft and still hating life in the X. Obviously, 20+ inches of useable travel trumps the ~15 the Talon had.

The engine is one of the comparisons I hesitate to make, as obviously 172hp turbo > 110hp, however I am comparing them based on cost here in Canada. OMG is it crazy how much power this thing has. Sounds really cool too being a triple with a turbo. I really enjoyed the Talon's engine as well, I thought it was great, however for the price, it should have had a factory turbo.

IMG 1609

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Excellent write up! I've got a couple friends with X3s, one like yours and one has the RR....200hp???.... They are nice rigs for sure, I looked at them when I was shopping but the seating position killed it for me. I've got a couple Ski Doos with the 900 triple and it is an excellent power plant. Glad you found something you like.

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Excellent write up! I've got a couple friends with X3s, one like yours and one has the RR....200hp???.... They are nice rigs for sure, I looked at them when I was shopping but the seating position killed it for me. I've got a couple Ski Doos with the 900 triple and it is an excellent power plant. Glad you found something you like.

Thanks! I have a friend that has the base X3 with 120hp, I almost ordered that one but i'm glad I ordered the 172hp one lol. The other thing I really like about the factory Turbo is if I get bored of the 172hp, I can spend $1500 and have 250hp.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Thanks! I have a friend that has the base X3 with 120hp, I almost ordered that one but i'm glad I ordered the 172hp one lol. The other thing I really like about the factory Turbo is if I get bored of the 172hp, I can spend $1500 and have 250hp.
Then add another $4k to make that 250 hp last 😂

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I dunno, my buddy has one on an evo stage 3r, which is apparently 250hp, and has 5000 miles on it. 2 belts and he had the clutching done as he put 32's on it and wanted it to shift differently.
I guess not everyone is as hard on things as the guys I know with canned hams. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ve seen less than 30 miles on a new $350 belt with a bone stock X3.

tuned ones needed billet clutches before getting any acceptable belt life.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I guess not everyone is as hard on things as the guys I know with canned hams. 🤷🏻‍♂️

30 miles is user error, belts need to be broken in properly to last.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Fellers, I figured I would write a short comparison on the X3 I picked up vs the Talon for anyone shopping. Obviously they don't really compete in the same category, except in Canada they have a very similar MSRP (X3 DS Turbo R has a $500 lower MSRP than a Talon X)

Initial impressions, the Talon clearly has a higher quality interior, with the exception of the nintendo gameboy from the 90's style screen it has, placed in a dumb spot right in the middle. I prefer the seats in the Talon, and I prefer the upright seating position to the X3's F1 cockpit style where you're almost laying down. The Talon's seats are more comfy, and easier to get in and out of, however the X3 has much more leg room and way more hip/shoulder room. The X3 has a lot more hard, sharp plastic in the interior, and the Talon generally uses better quality materials in the interior.

Now, that's about where the comparison ends. I really liked the DCT of the Talon in most situations, and would prefer it to the belt for a number of reasons, however the X3 has done a great job with the belt. It's also nice being able to shift into low with no issues whatsoever, where I had to fight it to get into low in the Talon.

The suspension on the X3 is light years ahead of the Talon X in every conceivable way. It rides like a dream compared to the dump truck like ride of the Talon. I didn't realize how bad the Talon's rear end bucked until I rode the X3 on the same trails, and it's like huh. I don't need to slow down or risk being bucked into the trees at 70mph. I also REALLY enjoyed actually using the suspension clickers to adjust it to my tastes, rather than sticking them on all soft and still hating life in the X. Obviously, 20+ inches of useable travel trumps the ~15 the Talon had.

The engine is one of the comparisons I hesitate to make, as obviously 172hp turbo > 110hp, however I am comparing them based on cost here in Canada. OMG is it crazy how much power this thing has. Sounds really cool too being a triple with a turbo. I really enjoyed the Talon's engine as well, I thought it was great, however for the price, it should have had a factory turbo.

View attachment 289841
Glad you’re happy with it….

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X

Of course, people will abuse anything. I've seen brand new diesel trucks blown up with 50 miles on them, talons that needed a new sub transmission with 30 miles on it, s*** happens.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
If you blow a belt on a trail. You will not be able to break it in properly and inturn end up with another potential problem with a belt.

Sure anyone can abuse anything but the facts are the belt machines end up requiring more maintenance than the Talon does....I don't believe that is really an argument here. And the subtrans is not a problem....it is user error. A belt will go just by running it hard. I have seen more videos of Polaris and Can Am's stopping in the middle of rock crawling trails to let the belt cool down! Doesn't sound like fun to me. Sure I would love to have Can Am power but not at the expense of working on my machine or monitoring how I drive it and for how long I push it so I don't throw a belt and potentially take my entire belt housing out too.....which happened on my polaris....then u are really screwed.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Honda’s have always been reliable and built strong, but that makes them heavy. Can Ams have the power, but have a lot of weak points. They are finally addressing the weak points and adding hp too. It would sure be nice if Honda would start increasing the HP, otherwise they will lose the small part of the market they have.

Talon210

Talon210

Apr 23, 2021
Northeast, Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
To anyone on the fence, get the x3 and be done with it. I am a DIEHARD honda guy and really wanted to like the talon. Between the transmission issues, leaking diff problems, terrible intake design and lack of power it was an easy choice. Plus can am strengthened the weak spots on the frame/brackets for 22 and went to a more reliable clutch setup. Just ordered my 22 ds turbo rr yesterday.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
To anyone on the fence, get the x3 and be done with it. I am a DIEHARD honda guy and really wanted to like the talon. Between the transmission issues, leaking diff problems, terrible intake design and lack of power it was an easy choice. Plus can am strengthened the weak spots on the frame/brackets for 22 and went to a more reliable clutch setup. Just ordered my 22 ds turbo rr yesterday.
To my understanding they didn't strengthen the front end which is where most of the problems are....so still some coin to do that right.....I almost did it!

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
See i'm okay spending money on a machine that comes 99% done... It has the power, it has the suspension, and is a well sorted car. The Talon, other than the problems mine had, needed a turbo (Big $$$), dramatically altered suspension (BIG $$$, no revalving the stock shocks won't fix the inherent issues the talon has, nor fix the 14/15" of travel it has). The X3 needs a gusset kit.

Again, If I had a need for two machines, the Talon would be #2. I have no doubt the Talon will be alive long after the X3 is worn out and junked, but it just can't compete. I would imagine i'd be lucky to get 5000 miles without a major failure (engine or trans or diff etc) on the X3, where I bet (once the laundry list of problems mine had were fixed) the Talon could probably go 3-4x that distance without a major failure.

I'm not entirely sure comparing a turbo car to a non turbo car is fair for reliability, but i'm a bit brutally honest.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I would imagine i'd be lucky to get 5000 miles without a major failure (engine or trans or diff etc) on the X3, where I bet (once the laundry list of problems mine had were fixed) the Talon could probably go 3-4x that distance without a major failure.
Indeed, there’s Talon owners here that have 10, 15, 20 and 25 thousand miles on them.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!