Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
So Honda is set to release a Talon 1000 R4 here soon along with a reconfigured Talon 1000 R2.
As I haven't seen many comparisons so I figured I would throw together some to talk about it.

Here are a few spec comparisons to the R2 and X4 as they relate.
NOTE: The 2022 and 2023"s" models are the same, so we will reference 2022 to limit confusion.

Travel
Travel specs for the R4 will match the R2 at 17.7 front and 20.1 rear.
The length will match the X4 at 152.5 inches.
It's unclear why the 23-R2 lists as .1-tents less than the 2022-R2 or 2023-R4.

Width
Width list 3-tents less for the 2023 R4 and R2.
We think the differences are most likely only due to the change in tire brands and overall tire profiles.

Height.
The Talon R4 comes in at almost 1 inch taller than the X4. Due to the extra travel and extended a-arms of the R.

Ground clearance.
The R4 has about 1/2 inch more than the X4.
You also may notice the R2 shows 2-tents more than 2022. This is related to the change in tires.

Wheelbase...
Wheelbase is where the major updates come into play.
The R4 comes in at 118.7 in. as the X4 was 116.4.
The 2023 R2 loses 2.7 inches in wheel base allowing it to pick up almost 2 feet in turning radius.

Turning Radius.
The R4 is 1.3 inches bigger than the 2022 R2/X4.
The 2023 R2 radius is 2 inches less than 2022 due to the shortened wheelbase.

Overall, these updates will be welcomed for the R4 and will be hardly noticeable for the R2.
Lets me know your thoughts and comments below.

TalonR4

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

Parts fiche points towards the trailing arm being the only different part on the 4R suspension.

The part number has an HL7 designation, the other parts are HL6.

Also the LV steering angle sensor has been removed and made into the power steering motor assembly.

M

mmjsport

Apr 23, 2021
California
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’m curious and excited to see how it feels in comparison to the X4 on trails. I didn’t think the turning radius was bad on the X4 when I drove it. But I really noticed the suspension didn’t have quite the travel I wanted. I was craving a bit more. I have never driven an R model though just an X. My dealer mentioned to me a few days ago Honda is “supposed to” ship one to them next week. If that’s true, which is a big IF, it should be here early the following week (first week of July).

Reactions: Smitty335
H

HondaTech

I’m curious and excited to see how it feels in comparison to the X4 on trails. I didn’t think the turning radius was bad on the X4 when I drove it. But I really noticed the suspension didn’t have quite the travel I wanted. I was craving a bit more. I have never driven an R model though just an X. My dealer mentioned to me a few days ago Honda is “supposed to” ship one to them next week. If that’s true, which is a big IF, it should be here early the following week (first week of July).

Our 2 that we were so graciously given are suppose to be in this month as well.

Along with the 17 other total units for the months of June-July.

We sold 70 new units in May alone.

M

mmjsport

Apr 23, 2021
California
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well we can all keep our fingers crossed then. If you happen to receive yours, can you post any changes that were made that Honda possibly didn’t make known. Curious if they changed anything else. Thank you.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Parts fiche points towards the trailing arm being the only different part on the 4R suspension.

The part number has an HL7 designation, the other parts are HL6.

Also the LV steering angle sensor has been removed and made into the power steering motor assembly.
Hum...
I would have thought the front arms would be the difference-maker here.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Well we can all keep our fingers crossed then. If you happen to receive yours, can you post any changes that were made that Honda possibly didn’t make known. Curious if they changed anything else. Thank you.
I'm sure they have, they always do.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I'll have to look again, but I'm pretty sure they are labeled HL6.
Not saying it is or is not..
I don't know.

I would have figured the 23 R2 and R4 would share the same arms.

The darn "s" models are adding to the confusion trying to figure it out. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I want to know where/how they lost the 2.7" of wheelbase on the new R2. One of the Pro guys I race with shortened the WB on his R to X specs but kept the R width and suspension travel and it made a big difference in lap times. His was all custom shortened arms but being able to potentially buy the parts to do it would be sweet.

Sounds like Honda is listening to racers. 😎

Last edited:
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I want to know where/how they lost the 2.7" of wheelbase on the new R2. One of the Pro guys I race with shortened the WB on his R to X specs but kept the R width and suspension travel and it made a big difference in lap times. His was all custom shortened arms but being able to potentially buy the parts to do it would be sweet.

Sounds like Honda is listening to racers. 😎
Now you know why I lengthen my X A arms on my conversion build instead of buying the R A arms with my R Shocks, the straighter the axle the less energy they absorb, and I got the X turning radius to boot.

As hard as it was to get you to believe me on the Pioneer gears imagine if I told you lengthened X A arms where faster. LOL

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

Sounds like Honda is listening to racers.
I asked. And they said it was on the front. Along with an X spec steering rack.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Now you know why I lengthen my X A arms on my conversion build instead of buying the R A arms with my R Shocks, the straighter the axle the less energy they absorb, and I got the X turning radius to boot.

As hard as it was to get you to believe me on the Pioneer gears imagine if I told you lengthened X A arms where faster. LOL

I still haven't tried out those 22 Pioneer gears but I bought them and they are installed in my transmission and sub-trans that are waiting to go back in the car. 😎

How do you have X turning radius with R width arms? Unless your rack turns further than a normal X rack there is no mathematical way it's possible. I'd believe it turns better than a regular R but not as good as a stock X.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I asked. And they said it was on the front. Along with an X spec steering rack.

Cool, I'll have to look up the parts and see what's different as far as axles and tie rods go vs my 19 R to see if 4 arms is all I'd need to shorten my car up a few inches.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!