AD87D57A EDAE 47DD 895A 3D270E40112B
52334E3F 9473 4056 B398 AD4F1F8D1F65

jmneill

jmneill

Aug 5, 2021
Dixie
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks everyone. She’s about ready. It took a long time to get so much crap installed all at once. Just some wiring left to go. Got the lower a arms and all the strengthening stuff these need to be up to par done last weekend. Flipped the shock reservoirs out. Should have come this way. Way more difficult than the Talon to work onView attachment 333678View attachment 333679View attachment 333680View attachment 333681View attachment 333682

Looks great man!
Congratulations.
You had the patience of Job, and it paid off. 👍

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
Honda’s have always been reliable and built strong, but that makes them heavy. Can Ams have the power, but have a lot of weak points. They are finally addressing the weak points and adding hp too. It would sure be nice if Honda would start increasing the HP, otherwise they will lose the small part of the market they have.
otherwise they will lose the small part of the market they have.

I ride the sand in Oklahoma and do poker benefit rides and I always notice the talon population is always thin. I always see a bundle of belt machines.

Reactions: Smitty335
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
There isn't a single SxS on the planet that comes with a proper roll cage based on how fast they go. Speed UTV's being the exception, if anyone ever actually gets one....

If the aftermarket cage doesn't have triangulation built into it to prevent it from folding sideways it's also useless. Don't be fooled by the ".120 wall DOM tube" statements these aftermarket cage manufacturers tout about. Doesn't matter what it's built out of if it's designed wrong in the first place.... People buying cages need to realize that in order to make it as safe as possible some comfort compromises need to be made. A vertical bar from the bend in the A pillar down to the frame rail would go along way in keeping the front of the cage from caving in. Doors could still open, it would just be a matter of swinging your feet and legs around a bar.

My cage is built out of 1.75" x .095 DOM, 1.75" x .083 cro-mo, 1.75" x .065 DOM and 1.5" x .095 DOM. Not a single piece of .120 wall in it and I have no problem trusting my life with it in the event of a high speed or multiple roll crash. I also designed and built it myself, having years of experience building circle track chassis, so I know it's done right.
I have had time in circle track with limited late models, the talon roll cage is a death trap so I go out of my way not to over drive the thing.

Sandsurfer

Sandsurfer

Feb 23, 2022
NM
Ownership

1. Talon X
That x3 is a beautiful machine. It was my first pick and I believe hands down a better sxs than the Talon. Unfortunately for me, delay after delay and 2 price changes burned me. I will never allow myself to go through the order process again. The talon was the runner up choice and was on the showroom floor at the time of purchase.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I have had time in circle track with limited late models, the talon roll cage is a death trap so I go out of my way not to over drive the thing.
Do you mind sharing how many injuries and near deaths experiences the cages caused?

I was surprised at how light the Talon cage was when I got to cutting on mine! But in a accident it's job is to protect people not to hold it's shape.

I can buy another cage, I can't unbreak my neck.

I wish I would have taken pictures of my parts Talon but I didn't it was smashed, you would never believe by looking at it that the driver could have survived he got drunk on fourth of July and hit a tree at wide open throttle as fast as it would go.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Do you mind sharing how many injuries and near deaths experiences the cages caused?

I was surprised at how light the Talon cage was when I got to cutting on mine! But in a accident it's job is to protect people not to hold it's shape.

I can buy another cage, I can't unbreak my neck.

I wish I would have taken pictures of my parts Talon but I didn't it was smashed, you would never believe by looking at it that the driver could have survived he got drunk on fourth of July and hit a tree at wide open throttle as fast as it would go.
I gotta agree. I think in majority of accidents it does it’s job. Things are meant to soften impact to make the hit lesser on the occupants. It’s a one time use thing.
We’ve seen that on newer cars, sometimes when just welding a couple pieces of sheet metal back on your blown away that it holds up to a hit. But it does. Special application changes this but for general usage it seems good. There’s always certain circumstances either why that one could have arguments about.

Reactions: Smitty335
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
But in a accident it's job is to protect people not to hold it's shape.
You think Honda designed the cage to be a crumple zone to protect the occupants in a crash?🤣🤣🤣

Screenshot 20211023 215033 Messages

That's me upside down in the air at one of last years short course races. If that was a stock cage I would have been seriously hurt or dead. I was fine and the chassis/cage were also, car and I survived to race another day. Thinking the stock cage is good for anything harder than the machine falling over on its side while going 1mph is just fooling yourself and will get you and/or your occupants hurt. Drunk guy got lucky, some people don't get lucky and die when the POS frame and cage caves in around them.....

20180521 165247
20180521 165300
20180521 165236

This guy wasn't lucky...

Last edited:
G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I'm pretty impressed with Hondas cage after the other ones I've seen, my teryx4 was softer than fence post, we cut it and took 3inches outta rear, now one thing that don't impress me about Honda is interior quality, I see people brag on here about it but there's over a inch gap alway around the doors, you can see the ground threw floor sitting in it, my last machine was a general and went I put upper doors on it was sealed up, I don't know how you would seal one of these up🤣, but I do know Honda motors quality which is why I bought, I think comparing talon to x3 is comparing apples to oranges... I have a can-am defender and love it, never replaced belt and it's a 1000, it will give my talon a run for the money

Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
H

HondaTech

I'm pretty impressed with Hondas cage after the other ones I've seen, my teryx4 was softer than fence post, we cut it and took 3inches outta rear, now one thing that don't impress me about Honda is interior quality, I see people brag on here about it but there's over a inch gap alway around the doors, you can see the ground threw floor sitting in it, my last machine was a general and went I put upper doors on it was sealed up, I don't know how you would seal one of these up🤣, but I do know Honda motors quality which is why I bought, I think comparing talon to x3 is comparing apples to oranges... I have a can-am defender and love it, never replaced belt and it's a 1000, it will give my talon a run for the money

Polaris has got to make up for garbage quality somewhere.

G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Polaris has got to make up for garbage quality somewhere.
Polaris actually had to buy that machine back from me, had a issue they could not fix, it was a mess, and I got stuck with 4000 dollars in after market parts, but I have to say I've owned several Polaris machines, that's the only one I had a prob with, but it only takes one to leave a bad taste in your mouth 😂, especially at the money I had to eat

IMG 20220410 124548853 HDR

G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon x4
And this is my cannedham, or I say mine, my youngin took it over, y'all know how that goes🤣, it's run everyday with no issues, he uses it a lot in his business, and power packed with that 1000, I believe that thing will run forever.
Only problem with utility machines is when we started trail riding 100+ miles a day, the ride quality not there, they will jar you to death 👍

IMG 20220217 143014103 HDR

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Polaris actually had to buy that machine back from me, had a issue they could not fix, it was a mess, and I got stuck with 4000 dollars in after market parts, but I have to say I've owned several Polaris machines, that's the only one I had a prob with, but it only takes one to leave a bad taste in your mouth 😂, especially at the money I had to eat

View attachment 354376
Have you considered a KRX?

G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I test drove 2 krx 2 seaters before i bought Honda, the machine is entirely too loud in cockpit, it's the same reason we sold our teryx4.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my Honda, I was just saying they could close up all the openings a little better.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I test drove 2 krx 2 seaters before i bought Honda, the machine is entirely too loud in cockpit, it's the same reason we sold our teryx4.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my Honda, I was just saying they could close up all the openings a little better.
The b****es luv a cockpit!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!